Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 04:38 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times

Advertisements

Generally a couple of sweaters and a medium weight jacket will get you by just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 04:43 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I wouldn't say that there are "several" days where it doesn't get out of the 20's. That is a pretty rare occurrence here. We will see some lows in the 20's but daytime highs are almost always at least a few degrees above freezing with very few exceptions.

You need a winter coat here, but generally a lighter jacket is enough for most winter days. It isn't uncommon to have a several 60 degree days between December and February and even a handful of 70's. Evenings and early mornings are normally when something warmer may be needed.
Now; THAT is true.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:13 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I wouldn't say that there are "several" days where it doesn't get out of the 20's. That is a pretty rare occurrence here. We will see some lows in the 20's but daytime highs are almost always at least a few degrees above freezing with very few exceptions.

You need a winter coat here, but generally a lighter jacket is enough for most winter days. It isn't uncommon to have a several 60 degree days between December and February and even a handful of 70's. Evenings and early mornings are normally when something warmer may be needed.
I don't mean several days in a row (though that can happen, see Snowmageddon, 2011), but 5-6 days across the entire three months or so of winter. Yes, we can see 60s and 70s (ICK!), but a winter coat is still very necessary.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:16 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Greetings peeps!

I've only lived in COLD Northern states all of my life and wearing big heavy coats is a requirement. Are they needed in Atlanta?

The temp may not get below zero here but when it's windy and damp, it feels like it is.

You'll likely be fine without your heavy gear if you're just visiting. However, if you're moving here, then the answer is yes. I've found it pretty easy to adapt to weather extremes, be they hor or cold when you're consistently stuck in them..

Atlanta can be what feels like 70 for a few days and 20 the next few days so it make it more of shock to the system. I'm the layering queen. Heavy coats - likely. Layering - a must.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:58 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
If you already have it, then keep it. You will need it here at least 5 days a year. It does get cold, windy, and damp here.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Depends how much time you spend outdoors. I just carry around a fleece jacket, which I rarely wear. If it really gets bad, you may need to wear a sweatshirt underneath your fleece jacket.

I remember my first few Winters here. Around March 1st when the birds were chirping, daily high temps were approaching 70 degrees and everything was blooming, I'd say to myself, that was it? are you #$%$&*! kidding me? but then, I came down from Chicago.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
By definition of the Northeast - you don't need a big heavy coat. My niece just moved to NYC and she is buying clothes like nothing that she has ever owned in the south.

I have two coats that serve me well. I have a vest that with gloves and a scarf is perfectly comfortable for most days. I also have a short, all weather (water resistant) jacket that is more than enough with gloves and a scarf. This is a coat that I have worn around NYC on many nights in December. It is more than enough for the snow levels that we get in the South.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:51 PM

183 posts, read 298,236 times
Generally on average, expect highs to be anywhere from the mid 40s to mid 50s on average, lows can be anywhere from the upper 20s to the upper 30s. Sometimes we will have a cold front usually sometime in January where we will have a pretty big but temporary cold snap where highs usually won't get above freezing, but expect this only about 2 to 3 times a year. Also on the flipside as said before, expect a few days here and there where we will see highs in the 60s. Another thing to note, it does rain quite a bit, so expect quite a few grey, drizzly days with temps hovering in the mid 40s all day & night. Every once in a blue moon we will see snow but that is pretty rare and it never lasts more than a day (2011 was an exception) and is usually less than 5 inches when it does happen

Old 12-16-2013, 06:41 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Atlanta metro gets an occasional dusting of snow. It rains a lot in winter as opposed to snowing and we get freezing rain and ice storms (complete with power outages). It's pretty sunny in winter but also still gets cold the temps get below freezing (below 32 degrees, that is) so you still need to bundle up and warm gloves and warm shoes or boots if you will be outdoors for any extended periods.

The weather fluctuates. It could be in the 60's and 70's one week, then in the 30's the next. It could rain for two weeks straight, then not rain at all. Sometimes it gets into the 20's and below. During winter in Atlanta, you have to really follow the forecasts for the week because it changes so much.

(Just FYI: winter or summer, when it rains here power outages are very common.)

Old 12-16-2013, 06:44 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
The answer is no. You don't *need* one, but if you do own one of those heavy, insulated coats then I guarantee that it will see some (albeit) light use a few days out of the year.

Those of us without make do by layering up... but there is no substitute for a proper jacket if you find yourself out in the elements for an extended period of time (sporting event, long walk, etc).

I will warn you that after you have spent a year or so here... your blood will 'lighten' and temperatures that you used to laugh at (high 20's to mid 30's) will chill you to your bone. I have seen it happen with my own eyes! Most recently to a coworker that spent her entire life in Wisconsin before moving here. Even Canadians eventually succumb to the ravages of our warmer climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta