Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 11:46 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If THIS ain't the pot calling the kettle black. You've engaged in worse behavior in the Charlotte forum on countless occasions, but I always actually dealt with the substance of your statements--which were typically lacking in the vast majority of cases--and never questioned your right to comment in the forum as an "outsider." You of all people don't have any right to try and call anybody out here.

Uhhhh, I don't know him or anyone else on this forum in real life. Try again.
Well the way you rush to defend that clown like he does no wrong leads me to believe something more is there than what meets the keyboard.

You can try to stay neutral all you want I don't straddle the fence. It is what it is. And Kenya does start ish and leaves. But you don't want to see that, or even admit it.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:49 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Plus I don't think I've posted but once in the Houston thread (or any one for that matter) and I didn't click up in there talking about Atlanta is a step up.

Even if it is true, I keep that in the Atlanta thread. We "boosters" are just fine in our own little world across the Chattahoochee.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:27 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Well the way you rush to defend that clown like he does no wrong leads me to believe something more is there than what meets the keyboard.

You can try to stay neutral all you want I don't straddle the fence. It is what it is. And Kenya does start ish and leaves. But you don't want to see that, or even admit it.
Oh ok. Murr Chrimuh.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:22 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Well, time for one good debunking.

Quote:
ROTFLMAO.

If that's the case, then Atlanta kills Houston. You's an Atlanta hater, because you know where the party is. We put on for our city, while Houston is so wack Bravo TV decided to pull completely out of dusty azz Houston all together. You couldn't even score a Real Housewives franchise.

Also, if you're in the name calling game, I should remind you that 31 million folks visited your city in 2010. 60% came from Texas. How lame is that?
Yep, he knows where the party is. You know (deep down), I know, and so does anyone who has even the slightest iota of sense- its in Houston, not Atlanta. Yes, you people from Atlanta are put on for your city, that is true. However all the prosperous corporations based in Houston are actually loyal to the city, and show the world why it is "The Energy Capital." Yeah, don't say "dusty azz," especially as Houston can grow crops, plants, and vegetation Atlanta can only dream of having.

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Atlanta is doing the best it can to attract tourists, while Houston isn't really focusing on that department, and guess what? The numbers are still comparable. That means that when Houston focuses on tourism as much as Atlanta does, it will blow Atlanta to outer space.

Quote:
Furthermore, one of my FAVORITE articles about Houston and its bid to get the Olympics (something that Atlanta hosted when it was smaller than Denver is now, and still more respected than Houston btw ) went something like this.

"So it's rather amusing that second-tier towns like Houston continue to huff and puff when they get left at the threshold when competing against the San Franciscos of the world -- which is to say, the likes of London and Paris and New York. Houston is big, admittedly super-sized in a Texas-Astrodome-LBJ kind of way. And according to those involved in the Olympic hosting competition, it had the most technically and financially sound bid among the municipal hopefuls.

It only had one problem. It's Houston."

And you can Google that honey. It came straight from the source. Let's just be real. Mexico is to Texas what China is to the United States; a great supplier. Otherwise Houston would probably look something like Salt Lake City, Utah.
First of all, the article was composed of easily-refutable bunk, so there's that. Houston just didn't win the bid and it had absolutely nothing to do with the nature of the city. Oh, and by the way, do you know another city that has never hosted the Olympics? NYC. Does that mean NYC is not an important city, just because it never hosted the Olympics? And Atlanta was never more respected than Houston, so please get real. In fact, all the Olympics flaunting the Atlantans do is hilarious once you realize how Atlanta was portrayed. Observe:

Too Busy City | The New Yorker Covers

You see it. Yep, straight from the source. What a "great and progressive" city.

Relations with Mexico, Central and South America is but one factor that allows Houston to be so much more prosperous than Atlanta. Even without the relations, Houston will still be an advanced, wealthy metropolis. Oh, but wait, you are not finished:

Quote:
But baby I ain't done with you yet. I done edited, eaten, edited, pooted and now I'm back at again. Let me tell you what the critics said about your favorite city.

"For all those civic wannabes in Houston who like to think their stock is now on par with the likes of New York and San Francisco, it helps to remember the small things. The 110-degrees-in-the-shade concept is a sure brochure bouncer. And oil refineries may be a great boost to the local economy, but petrochemical plants don't exactly send Europeans racing to their travel agents."

Did you read that first line? It ain't changed. 2010 and you still receiving 60 percent of your visitors from in-state. 7 million from Mexico. Tongues are wagging, huh?

Disclaimer: Do not misconstrue my words. I am not, nor have I ever been racist towards anyone. Well, except this one poster on CD who always stays sideways.

We can get it popping in here if you want to. It's up to you. So I wouldn't complain if I WERE YOU.
The article, once again, is complete bunk. Houston barely even reaches 100 degrees most summers, let alone 110 degrees(which is higher than the all time record high for the city). Yes, heat indexes can be high, but the city receives powerful sea-breezes to cool things down. The oil refineries are located in a far sector of the Houston Area no one would want to go to anyways, and they aren't visible in most areas of the metro.

2010 was years ago, so get in with the times; things have changed 2013 going on 2014. No, Houstonians are already in a better position than Atlantans; There is no need for them to feel jealous. And in terms of economy, Houston is the fourth strongest in the nation, and it is the renounced Energy Capital of the World. In lots of ways, Houston is in league with Chicago, NYC, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, more in league with them than any other city in what you people call "The American South."

Old 12-25-2013, 03:41 PM

In any rate, to contribute to this thread, I think one reason why the Texas cities are zooming past Atlanta, Georgia is because of the conditions of the states themselves; Texas has lots of large, successful metropolises that each offer large amounts of amenities, and are culturally diverse. Each of the large metropolises are interconnected with each-other in what is called the Texas Triangle, allowing ideas to go back and forth between the cities. As a result, fresh, new progressive ideas are formed that allow the cities in Texas to move ahead exponentially, as more of their state appeals to outsiders.

Atlanta, meanwhile, is the only metro of its kind in the state. Outside of Atlanta, the rest of the Georgia cities aren't as happening (Except Savannah, and maybe Brunswick), and because of that, you don't have much of the fresh new ideas going around the state like you have in Texas.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Well, time for one good debunking.

Yep, he knows where the party is. You know (deep down), I know, and so does anyone who has even the slightest iota of sense- its in Houston, not Atlanta. Yes, you people from Atlanta are put on for your city, that is true. However all the prosperous corporations based in Houston are actually loyal to the city, and show the world why it is "The Energy Capital." Yeah, don't say "dusty azz," especially as Houston can grow crops, plants, and vegetation Atlanta can only dream of having.

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Atlanta is doing the best it can to attract tourists, while Houston isn't really focusing on that department, and guess what? The numbers are still comparable. That means that when Houston focuses on tourism as much as Atlanta does, it will blow Atlanta to outer space.

First of all, the article was composed of easily-refutable bunk, so there's that. Houston just didn't win the bid and it had absolutely nothing to do with the nature of the city. Oh, and by the way, do you know another city that has never hosted the Olympics? NYC. Does that mean NYC is not an important city, just because it never hosted the Olympics? And Atlanta was never more respected than Houston, so please get real. In fact, all the Olympics flaunting the Atlantans do is hilarious once you realize how Atlanta was portrayed. Observe:

Too Busy City | The New Yorker Covers

You see it. Yep, straight from the source. What a "great and progressive" city.

Relations with Mexico, Central and South America is but one factor that allows Houston to be so much more prosperous than Atlanta. Even without the relations, Houston will still be an advanced, wealthy metropolis. Oh, but wait, you are not finished:

The article, once again, is complete bunk. Houston barely even reaches 100 degrees most summers, let alone 110 degrees(which is higher than the all time record high for the city). Yes, heat indexes can be high, but the city receives powerful sea-breezes to cool things down. The oil refineries are located in a far sector of the Houston Area no one would want to go to anyways, and they aren't visible in most areas of the metro.

2010 was years ago, so get in with the times; things have changed 2013 going on 2014. No, Houstonians are already in a better position than Atlantans; There is no need for them to feel jealous. And in terms of economy, Houston is the fourth strongest in the nation, and it is the renounced Energy Capital of the World. In lots of ways, Houston is in league with Chicago, NYC, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, more in league with them than any other city in what you people call "The American South."
And of course, you bring the same silly points and boosting to this thread. You're a major booster and I'd advise people not to really listen to what you say.

You completely disservice Atlanta while extremely boosting Houston in everything. An example is the silly argument that Houston doesn't try to get tourists while Atlanta.

And no Houston does not compete in the league of NYC, LA or Chicago. This is just Houstonian's delusions again. SF may be arguable though.

For being the 4th largest city, the 4th largest economy and can compete with the likes of Chicago, NYC, SF, and L.A., it sure has one of the worst transit systems in this country for a city of it's size and one of the worst urban cores. Laughable. Come back and tell me Houston can compete with the big dogs when it has a fairly active and expansive transit system and has a vibrant city core because Houston doesn't even beat Atlanta when it comes to those things.

Oh and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
And the last thing a Houston booster should think is that folks outside of Texas even thinks about its existence. According to Kenya, you're only as popular as your name, which to that degree I feel compelled to say that Houston is a forgotten city. Unless Beyoncé speaks it into memory. Then it quickly fades again.

Merry Christmas.
Which is why it is The Energy Capital of the World that offers immeasurable opportunities for the many people around the world that flock to the city. Such opportunities include jobs in the many Energy corporations, medical facilities, Biotechnology sectors, aerospace facilities, retail industries and more.

Unlike Atlanta, Houston is actually multicultural (arguably the most diverse metro in the US), with an advanced port that beat out NYC in foreign exports()! Don't get me wrong, Atlanta is a great city that is a role model to blacks across America, with a very busy airport, and many amenities that can keep one occupied (I for one enjoyed the World of Coke, and the Aquarium when I went, and I toured facilities from CDC to Emory to Morehouse). But, when Atlanta and Houston are being compared, Houston is this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...00-gxombwy.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And of course, you bring the same silly points and boosting to this thread. You're a major booster and I'd advise people not to really listen to what you say.

You completely disservice Atlanta while extremely boosting Houston in everything. An example is the silly argument that Houston doesn't try to get tourists while Atlanta.

And no Houston does not compete in the league of NYC, LA or Chicago. This is just Houstonian's delusions again. SF may be arguable though.

For being the 4th largest city, the 4th largest economy and can compete with the likes of Chicago, NYC, SF, and L.A., it sure has one of the worst transit systems in this country for a city of it's size and one of the worst urban cores. Laughable. Come back and tell me Houston can compete with the big dogs when it has a fairly active and expansive transit system and has a vibrant city core because Houston doesn't even beat Atlanta when it comes to those things.

Oh and Merry Christmas.
I just felt the need to thoroughly debunk isawooty's failed arguments. That is all. Not doing any disservice to Atlanta; I acknowledge the success of the city, and how far it is coming along despite how much at odds it is in with its state. However, it is true that Atlanta is putting in effort to get tourists while it isn't that much of a priority in Houston....and Houston still gets tourists. Once Houston starts putting effort, well, lets just say that the "City too busy to hate" will start hating soon.

Oh, you don't have to worry about the transit anymore; the first of many extensions through 2014 happened on December 21st, and the urban core was already present and thoroughly developed; just revolved a little bit more around the auto-mobile than cities like NYC thats all. And yes, I see that Atlanta has the great MARTA transport system going on, complete with subways...but somethings up when even WITH a subways (and tight streets, fame from olympics, etc) , people STILL view the city as nothing more than southern urban sprawl.

In any rate, this thread is about Atlanta, and why it is being dusted by the successful Texas metropolises. Atlantans, you should be taking notes on what the Texas cities are doing right, and what Atlanta is doing wrong at the moment, that way, you can improve as well.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:07 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
what the heck are you guys doing on here? this is christmas day. f-ck houston.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
what the heck are you guys doing on here? this is christmas day. f-ck houston.
Yep, and I wish you all a Merry Christmas as well. Hopefully it will be enough to get the humbug out of Atlanta since it, you know, was left behind while the Texas cities "zoomed" past it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta