Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 01:34 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times

Advertisements

This thread is so funny

First off Atlanta leads Houston in Tourism and Entertainment as much as Houston is beating Atlanta in Economics right now. Atlanta beats Houston in secondary education. Atlanta in general beats Houston in History and landmarks. Houston has a grid network but it doesn't have the heavy rail system like Marta.

The Houston boasting in this thread is extreme it's hilarious....

Old 12-26-2013, 07:20 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
This thread is so funny

First off Atlanta leads Houston in Tourism and Entertainment as much as Houston is beating Atlanta in Economics right now. Atlanta beats Houston in secondary education. Atlanta in general beats Houston in History and landmarks. Houston has a grid network but it doesn't have the heavy rail system like Marta.

These minions cannot be controlled. Their leader sent them and they refuse to leave. They were programed to say the same idiotic sh*t over and over again. You can't debate with stupidity. And the fact that you have Dallas in your name... Lawd they're gonna come for you too.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:39 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Oh please!! when I came in a charlotte forum my comments made were based on the topic at hand even if i got into ridiculous arguements and Normally it was Atlanta vs Charlotte which open for any type of discussion.. This thread wasnt created to take cheap shots. I never entered a thread taking cheap shots to create and arguments and disfunction in a forum. When was the last time u seen me on a charlotte forum or thread?????

Your still acting like attorney mutiny while your client has left the building and thats what he usually does after he comes in and stirs the pot.

The way u police threads and issue Forums tickets, I would have thought u were friends with some of these people are getting paid by city data goverment officials to fight peoples battles debates and arguments.

This my last post on the Outsider. I suggest u let it go too.
I let it go a long time ago; you should have done the same. Scratch that--you shouldn't have jumped in to begin with because I never even addressed you.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 12-26-2013 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
This thread is so funny

And the Atlanta boosting on this thread is even more hilarious and extreme, considering it is Atlanta that is watching all the Texas cities "zoom so far" past it. Lets discuss each of the sectors listed:

Tourism & Entertainment: Contrary to popular belief, Houston already has more amenities throughout the city than Atlanta has. Its just that unlike Atlanta, Houston is more "buisiness-minded", so as a result, Houston's many tourist attractions and entertainment spots go unadvertised, while Atlanta's fewer spots get lots of TV time; hence the disparity. But once Houston starts appealing more to tourists, all I can say is Atlanta will be in trouble.

Economy: You got that right, Houston is manhandling Atlanta in that department, being the 4th largest economy in the U.S. But if you want to go somewhere else in Texas, we see Dallas is also beating Atlanta as well. Austin and San Antonio are coming up strong, with Austin especially catching up. Heck, if Atlanta doesn't step up its game, even Midland will be upon it soon.

Secondary Education: I concede, Atlanta beats Houston soundly in this department, with top-notch schools like Emory, Morehouse, and Georgia Tech. However, Houston, with Rice University(labeled the Ivy League of the South), Baylor College of Medicine, and U of H, is no pushover.

History and Landmarks: In terms of landmarks, Atlanta and Houston are pretty comparable as well. Atlanta has CNN, Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, Six Flags over Georgia, and more, while Houston has NASA, San Jacinto monument, and Kemah, and is constructing a new amusement park at the moment. In terms of History though, Atlanta, again, will beat Houston. However, it is easy to forge a history when you use a slaver-mentality. Houston at least established its history in more respectable ways, with the courageous efforts of the brave souls who valiantly fought for Texas Independence.

Transportation: Another thing Atlanta beats Houston in at the moment. However, Houston's light rail transportation just started a major upgrade that will last through 2014, and will revolve around the urban core and grid network of the city. While Atlanta still is on top with its MARTA heavy rail and subway, keep this in mind people: Even WITH all the Heavy Rail, Subways, supposed "tight-streets", and urban neighborhoods, Atlanta is STILL viewed as just another sprawling southern city. Why is that?

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 12-26-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
And the Atlanta boosting in this thread is even more hilarious, considering all the other Texas cities are "zooming" so far past it. Lets discuss each of the sectors listed:

Tourism & Entertainment: Contrary to popular belief, Houston already has more amenities throughout the city than Atlanta has. Its just that unlike Atlanta, Houston is more "buisiness-minded", so as a result, Houston's many tourist attractions and entertainment spots go unadvertised, while Atlanta's fewer spots get lots of TV time; hence the disparity. But once Houston starts appealing more to tourists, all I can say is Atlanta will be in trouble.

Economy: You got that right, Houston is manhandling Atlanta in that department, being the 4th largest economy in the U.S. But if you want to go somewhere else in Texas, we see Dallas is also beating Atlanta as well. Austin and San Antonio are coming up strong, with Austin especially catching up. Heck, if Atlanta doesn't step up its game, even Midland will be upon it soon.

Secondary Education: I concede, Atlanta beats Houston soundly in this department, with top-notch schools like Emory, Morehouse, and Georgia Tech. However, Houston, with Rice University(labeled the Ivy League of the South), Baylor College of Medicine, and U of H, is no pushover.

History and Landmarks: In terms of landmarks, Atlanta and Houston are pretty comparable as well. Atlanta has CNN, Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, Six Flags over Georgia, and more, while Houston has NASA, San Jacinto monument, and Kemah, and is constructing a new amusement park at the moment. In terms of History though, Atlanta, again, will beat Houston. However, it is easy to forge a history when you use a slaver-mentality. Houston at least established its history in more respectable ways, with the courageous efforts of the brave souls who valiantly fought for Texas Independence.

Transportation: Another thing Atlanta beats Houston in at the moment. However, Houston's light rail transportation just started a major upgrade that will last through 2014, and will revolve around the urban core and grid network of the city. While Atlanta still is on top with its MARTA heavy rail and subway, keep this in mind people: Even WITH all the Heavy Rail, Subways, supposed "tight-streets", and urban neighborhoods, Atlanta is STILL viewed as just another sprawling southern city. Why is that?
And Houston and Dallas are not perceived this way. Uh, OK.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:48 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
And the Atlanta boosting on this thread is even more hilarious and extreme, considering it is Atlanta that is watching all the Texas cities "zoom so far" past it. Lets discuss each of the sectors listed:

Why is Houston and Dallas viewed as Sprawling cities with 900 ft Skyscrapers popping out in the middle of mayberry. The sunbelt cities will always be viewed as sprawling metros. Maybe when we start looking like NYC Chicago etc then maybe that will change. We have the backbones already in place for a great urban enviroment and we are working on the largest Urban development in the country The Beltline. I would put money on it that in 20 years Atlanta core will look more urban and walkable than Houstons. Houstons lightrail will never be able to compete with marta especially with ridership numbers. As far as rail goes we are in the Top 10 and will be for a while.

U left out quite a few landmarks the biggest one of All MLK center which is a big staple in America history. Tourism and Entertainment is great for a city. I see no issue or problem with marketing that.. It gets more people interested in the city itself. Thats why Atlanta is more popular in POP culture than the Texas cities...

Last edited by Staysean23; 12-26-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 12:11 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Houston's transit is decades behind Atlanta's. By the time Houston can say it's transit system is better than Atlanta, you'll be 20-30 years older and that's if Atlanta doesn't bother to do anything with it from here until that point. LRT is overrated and is only good when it's compliments a heavy rail system or subway to 'fill in the gaps'. For example, building LRT here in Atlanta to fill in gaps where our subway does not would be great. Houston's line don't even have their own right of way which means traffic could back them up. MARTA goes underground when it's in the city core and has it's own right of way away from the city core which means traffic doesn't affect it. MARTA is part of the reason Midtown has boomed into a dense sub-district of the core, something Houston wished it had. Houstonians love to boost the Medical Center and how 'dense' it is.. Man, oh how I wish I could live and play in the Medical Center LOL.

And I'd say Atlanta does feel more historic and has a rich civil rights history. This is why it's urban core feels more complete and urban. You can have a decent core and still be a sprawly metro. Look at D.C. That's something Atlanta will never leave as an image.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:25 PM

632 posts, read 932,998 times
Houston has got to be one of the most un-appealing looking big cities I've ever been to.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Why is Houston and Dallas viewed as Sprawling cities with 900 ft Skyscrapers popping out in the middle of mayberry. The sunbelt cities will always be viewed as sprawling metros. Maybe when we start looking like NYC Chicago etc then maybe that will change. We have the backbones already in place for a great urban enviroment and we are working on the largest Urban development in the country The Beltline. I would put money on it that in 20 years Atlanta core will look more urban and walkable than Houstons. Houstons lightrail will never be able to compete with marta especially with ridership numbers. As far as rail goes we are in the Top 10 and will be for a while.

Yes, Atlantans are waiting in order to look like Chicago, and NYC, but Houston, out of every single city in the "American South," is already looking like those cities. Just look at the overall structure, and magnitude of the city, and look past minor negatives like "car-dependency." In fact, thats the only reason Houston is viewed as a sprawly city, in-spite of having the most advanced Urban core in what you people call the "American South"; The city is just a little bit too car dependent. Houston is already walkable; it just has it in the form of an Underground City in the tunnels, and there are many funky neighborhoods like Rice Village and Montrose. All it needs for now is the light rail expansion that can take people around the across amenities in the core, and, trust me, Houston will be way more urban than Atlanta. Give it a few years tops!

You know, Houston's light rail has the second highest ridership per track mile in the country. That means, as small as it is, it does its job very well, and is a clear asset to the city. Houston was literally criss-crossed with rails until the 40s when the tracks were torn up. Now, as the new line expands through 2014, watch as the innate vibrancy reawakens. Watch how successful the system will be after the growth spurt.

U left out quite a few landmarks the biggest one of All MLK center which is a big staple in America history. Tourism and Entertainment is great for a city. I see no issue or problem with marketing that.. It gets more people interested in the city itself. Thats why Atlanta is more popular in POP culture than the Texas cities...

Yes, Tourism and Entertainment is great, I never denied that. However, Houston has more options and amenities for tourism and entertainment than Atlanta, but unlike Atlanta, Houston is not appealing itself to tourists that much. Atlanta is advertising the few attractions they have compared to Houston, which is why it is getting more attention than Texas at the moment. But once Houston starts advertising, people will wake up, and see that Houston owns Atlanta.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Houston's transit is decades behind Atlanta's. By the time Houston can say it's transit system is better than Atlanta, you'll be 20-30 years older and that's if Atlanta doesn't bother to do anything with it from here until that point. LRT is overrated and is only good when it's compliments a heavy rail system or subway to 'fill in the gaps'. For example, building LRT here in Atlanta to fill in gaps where our subway does not would be great. Houston's line don't even have their own right of way which means traffic could back them up. MARTA goes underground when it's in the city core and has it's own right of way away from the city core which means traffic doesn't affect it. MARTA is part of the reason Midtown has boomed into a dense sub-district of the core, something Houston wished it had. Houstonians love to boost the Medical Center and how 'dense' it is.. Man, oh how I wish I could live and play in the Medical Center LOL.

Houston's light rail is pretty successful considering how much it has been hampered by foolish politics; It has the second highest ridership per track mile in the country, so it is doing its job very well. Houston's advanced technology and ambition will allow it to make changes at breakneck speed. The light rail expansion is only but one step of the mass transportation upgrade Houston is getting. Although the main light-rail line lacks right of way, the new lines, rest assured, wont have that problem. Light rail will revolve around the urban core of Houston, which in fact, is more advanced and denser than Atlanta's. Just go to Central Houston or to Midtown, and the Medical Center is an immense medical district that also happens to have a cultured music arts scene where people enjoy themselves. Outside the urban core, Houston has plans for commuter rail that can rocket people from the suburbs to the city center. And these changes may not take 20-30 years to be more successful than Atlanta's; try 5-10 years tops.

And I'd say Atlanta does feel more historic and has a rich civil rights history. This is why it's urban core feels more complete and urban. You can have a decent core and still be a sprawly metro. Look at D.C. That's something Atlanta will never leave as an image.

And yet why do you think Atlanta was able to garner such history? Obviously, the people of the city harbored the slaving-mentality, causing the civil rights events to occur in the city. Houston at that time was more open, futuristic, civilized, and forward thinking, and thus, any segregation there wasn't significant enough to garner attention. Instead, I admire that Houston is building its history in a more shameless manner; from the bravery of the fellow Texans who fought for independence, to its time as the capital of Texas when the state was its own country, to its time as the center of NASA Mission Control. In fact, a new amusement park is being constructed, and it will have a theme that revolves around the rich history of Texas. It will be a substantial part in defining Houston, the site of the decisive victory that was the first step in making the great State of Texas an honorable part of the United States.
It was all Isawooty's fault for coming in and making inaccurate statements about. I only had to come in, and tell her the cold hard truth about how Houston, and Dallas are more advanced than Atlanta.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 12-26-2013 at 02:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta