Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 06:10 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times

Advertisements

Houston is more diverse than Atlanta. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Atlanta metro is still vastly black and white. I do give props for Houston for having a diverse metro. I'm not really sure how integrated it is though...I would have to look at a color map.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, but the difference between me and the majority of other City Data posters is that I don't pledge an undying allegiance to any one city that demands I burn every other city to the ground. I love Houston, but no one has EVER heard me say that it is the perfect city or that it beats Atlanta in every level.

Is Atlanta more classically beautiful than Houston? Y
Is Atlanta's core more urban? Y
Does Atlanta have a larger footprint of historical architecture? Y
Does Atlanta have a superior transit system? Hell, Y
Does Atlanta have more celebrities? Y, isawooty

For most of you, it seems, the above things alone are what makes a "great" city. For me, though, it simply isn't all that cut and dry.

On the flip side, I've noticed that even the suggestion of an edge that Houston might have is mentioned, it's almost immediately shot down or made to look trivial. This thread is a perfect example of that.

If I were to point out that it's almost universally agreed upon that Houston is superior when it comes to the economy, the arts, cuisine, and cultural diversity, how many of you would willingly concede to that? Probably none.

I don't owe anyone an explanation for my comments or why I post in this forum. I lived in your city. I worked in your city. Dealt with your asinine road system. Paid your taxes and probably did more community work there than either of you have. I've every right to voice my opinion here...one-liners and all.
Have you been seeing what this Yn0hTnA has been posting? He's been trying to put Houston in the league of the big 3 when we all know Houston still doesn't challenge them.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:29 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Houston is more diverse than Atlanta. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Atlanta metro is still vastly black and white. I do give props for Houston for having a diverse metro. I'm not really sure how integrated it is though...I would have to look at a color map.
Atlanta will always be a majority white and black metropolitan area. It's in Georgia and these Deep South Republicans ain't playing with these illegals. They keep them around solely for agricultural purposes. But they will not be making foot prints in the sand they way they are in Texas and the Southwest.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:59 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Have you been seeing what this Yn0hTnA has been posting? He's been trying to put Houston in the league of the big 3 when we all know Houston still doesn't challenge them.
There are many things Houston has that put it closer to the league of the Big 3 than any other city in what you people define as the "American South." And speaking of the Big 3 of Chicago, LA, and NYC, each of them are in different tiers as well.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Atlanta will always be a majority white and black metropolitan area. It's in Georgia and these Deep South Republicans ain't playing with these illegals. They keep them around solely for agricultural purposes. But they will not be making foot prints in the sand they way they are in Texas and the Southwest.
This honestly sounds racist as hell especially the agricultural part. I'm sure there are plenty of successful Mexicans and Hispanics in Houston and Dallas working office jobs and stuff. Way to stereotype. And yes, Casual Racism is still racism.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Quote:
This honestly sounds racist as hell especially the agricultural part. I'm sure there are plenty of successful Mexicans and Hispanics in Houston and Dallas working office jobs and stuff. Way to stereotype. And yes, Casual Racism is still racism.
It's the truth. Texas has a way better climate for immigrants, both legal and illegal, to lay down a foundation and prosper. You really think what I'm saying is racist without reason? This state is racist. Look at how Gov. Deal acted early last year when he all but told the illegals to get the hell out of Georgia before the sun goes down and his "Immigration Law" takes effect.

Or even worse, when they put that billboard up in Cherokee County back in 2011 telling the illegals high step it out of Georgia to South Carolina.

(here's the link in case you think I'm lying) Controversial billboard aimed at illegal immigrants goes up - CBS Atlanta News

You think I sound racist? I'm just stating the obvious. I'm not racist, but Georgia (even in-spite of Atlanta) is still pretty racist especially towards Hispanics.

Do you remember the kid at Kennesaw (what, two years ago?) that was an undocumented citizen and they plucked her right out of class and told her she was being deported back to Mexico?

You have to be real and admit Georgia doesn't have the best policies regarding immigration. And in South Georgia, those people make it a point say they don't like Mexicans. They just want them to pick their crops and get lost.

And by me saying "foot prints in the sand" meant them making a way for themselves for a better future. Not that they're literally running through fields trying to avoid deportation. My bad.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:25 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Hardly. Greater Houston's black, white, and Latino populations are each over 1 million. Only a handful of American metros can say the same.

Our Hispanic population is far larger than Atlanta's, but our black population (circa 2010) is only six hundred thousand folks smaller than Atlanta's. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that gap is closing.

Atlanta is definitely multicultural, but the two main races are black and white. Houston has three main groups. It creates a whole different dynamic, in regards to diversity. To top it off, Houston is only one of TWO metros in Texas where the above is true; Dallas-Fort Worth being the other, of course.
600,000 people of one race is a lot and diversity isn't really about raw number as much as it's about percentages. Percentage wise Houston is maybe 10% "more diverse" based on the statistics but not enough to really brag about if you are trying compare to Atlanta.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:35 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
It's the truth. Texas has a way better climate for immigrants, both legal and illegal, to lay down a foundation and prosper. You really think what I'm saying is racist without reason? This state is racist. Look at how Gov. Deal acted early last year when he all but told the illegals to get the hell out of Georgia before the sun goes down and his "Immigration Law" takes effect.

Or even worse, when they put that billboard up in Cherokee County back in 2011 telling the illegals high step it out of Georgia to South Carolina.

(here's the link in case you think I'm lying) Controversial billboard aimed at illegal immigrants goes up - CBS Atlanta News

You think I sound racist? I'm just stating the obvious. I'm not racist, but Georgia (even in-spite of Atlanta) is still pretty racist especially towards Hispanics.

Do you remember the kid at Kennesaw (what, two years ago?) that was an undocumented citizen and they plucked her right out of class and told her she was being deported back to Mexico?

You have to be real and admit Georgia doesn't have the best policies regarding immigration. And in South Georgia, those people make it a point say they don't like Mexicans. They just want them to pick their crops and get lost.

And by me saying "foot prints in the sand" meant them making a way for themselves for a better future. Not that they're literally running through fields trying to avoid deportation. My bad.
i agree with you, but i don't think this is going to last for much longer. GA will be a purple state in less than two years, and you'll have a lot more dialogue about GA's immigration laws then. georgia will be majority-minority by 2020, if not earlier.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:51 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,479 times
Top 5 Most Korean-American Cities: Atlanta*|*Korean Beacon

Old 12-26-2013, 11:15 PM

Atlanta does have a large Korean community. A good portion of my GSU friends are Korean though half of that is because of my Computer Science major, but still so I've learned a lot about Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta