Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:51 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I know there are very few residential buildings in the immediate downtown Houston area. Along its perimeter over the past 10 years, there has been multi family, low-and mid-rise residential popping up, but still in a predictably scattered Houston fashion with little to hold it together in terms of urban streetscape.
See, y'all think I'm bad, but this man can sniff out a Houston thread from the opposite side of the country. Either that or he's tracking my posting history.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:34 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
See, y'all think I'm bad, but this man can sniff out a Houston thread from the opposite side of the country. Either that or he's tracking my posting history.
Nothing I wrote had anything to do with you.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:35 AM

3,876 posts, read 4,699,116 times
Saintmarks
I appreciate your post @12:17 on a couple of fronts. Like you I've noticed (and already written here) about the cyclical nature of the economies of these cities that are being discussed. As for the cyclical nature of the growth, we should learn & know that nothing stays the same forever.
One city appears to be the king of growth for a while & then another one will pick up the growth pace & take over the reins for a while, etc., etc.
Looking at the historically-based question you just asked, I addressed it here when I wrote long ago about why I felt the thread was mistitled, as in "...Texas cities...zoomed past Atlanta?" I wrote that going back 50 years & more & looking at population data for Houstin & Dallas, they were already noticeably larger than Atlanta. Hence the "zooming" is incorrect if it's said or interpreted in the vein of it being a recently occurring event. For some reason, that fact seems to have been overlooked here. And it's another basis upon which I urge that care is taken in the way we title our threads.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:37 AM

3,876 posts, read 4,699,116 times
Nairobi
I saw the nice things you said the other day about Atlanta & her trees in a thread on the Arkansas forum. That was very kind of you!

Old 12-27-2013, 11:25 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I believe all of the great southern metropolises, from Houston to Dallas to Atlanta to Miami, can rise up, and show the U.S. who is the next regional power. They would have overcome the stereotypes, and misjudgments people always have of the region. I believe the four have always harbored great ambition, and such ambition would be even higher if they focused on a future city model more advanced, and developed than even NYC. Such as Coruscant:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...coruscant2.jpg
Where did that pic come from? Is that from Star Wars?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:06 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Perhaps, but I believe you'd be hard-pressed to find someone in the know who would give Atlanta the edge here.
And that's okay too. But in the mean time, tell me what you think about this. Is this a fair observation?

From the Gutt: 20 Things Everyone Thinks About Houston Food (But Nobody Will Say)

Old 12-27-2013, 12:17 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Saintmarks
I appreciate your post @12:17 on a couple of fronts. Like you I've noticed (and already written here) about the cyclical nature of the economies of these cities that are being discussed. As for the cyclical nature of the growth, we should learn & know that nothing stays the same forever.
One city appears to be the king of growth for a while & then another one will pick up the growth pace & take over the reins for a while, etc., etc.
Looking at the historically-based question you just asked, I addressed it here when I wrote long ago about why I felt the thread was mistitled, as in "...Texas cities...zoomed past Atlanta?" I wrote that going back 50 years & more & looking at population data for Houstin & Dallas, they were already noticeably larger than Atlanta. Hence the "zooming" is incorrect if it's said or interpreted in the vein of it being a recently occurring event. For some reason, that fact seems to have been overlooked here. And it's another basis upon which I urge that care is taken in the way we title our threads.
I don't think most of us (at least speaking for myself) overlooked the title. I just assumed they were saying zooming "past" Atlanta as to mean creating distance between them and Atlanta economically during the recession. I almost pointed out in another post I made that Houston and Dallas have always been larger than Atlanta but Atlanta caught up. I just didn't waste my time typing that because I figured it was understood. What you said does make sense though. Maybe someone should have pointed that out earlier. I'm excited to see the 2013 Census estimates for the states. These numbers should be released any day now.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:25 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
And that's okay too. But in the mean time, tell me what you think about this. Is this a fair observation?

From the Gutt: 20 Things Everyone Thinks About Houston Food (But Nobody Will Say)
He makes some great points that I definitely agree with. About half of the article is rather redundant, though, and just makes the author come off as having a know-it-all attitude. I wholeheartedly disagree with Central Market always being a better option than the farmers markets.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:56 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post

This is a great and informative essay. Extremely fair, while remaining hopeful and Houston-positive.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
haha..

That picture is pretty bad. Keep in mind though that there's areas of Atlanta with very nice single family homes and highrises in close proximity. This is one of the things that I thought reminded me of Atlanta when I visited Houston for the first time. I will say that River Oaks picture is pretty random, but both cities do tend to have a development style of highrises close to single family homes.
Keyword in your sentence is "highrises" not "highrise".Besides I can think of no area where a a lone tower like that is surrounded by low level density.At least not within the actual city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta