Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 03:28 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times

Advertisements

yes, atlanta is segregated. fortunately, as places like midtown and downtown are continuing to urbanize, census data shows that black, white, asian, and hispanic populations are all increasing, rather than one demographic getting "kicked out" so another demographic can replace it. unfortunately, in the less urban, single-family neighbourhoods in atlanta, this is not the case; many neighbourhoods go from 100% black to nearly 100% white in the span of a few years. it's likely due to the absence of affordable housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 05:14 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

Here is the real map of segregation in America. As you can see some people have never traveled outside of 285. Atlanta and Houston are less segregated than most US cities

Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Oh, please -- comments like this make it sound like, somehow, the City of Atlanta is responsible for separating people out into "appropriate" neighborhoods. How many posts have we gotten on this very forum from people looking to move into a "diverse, but not TOO diverse" neighborhood, or commenting that they would be more "comfortable" living in areas that are primarily black/white/Asian/Muslim/Hispanic etc.?

People live where they want to live. Red-lining went out 40 years ago -- if you want to live in a particular neighborhood and you can afford it, then have at it. No one in Atlanta will care. In some of the rural areas of Georgia, it may raise some eyebrows, but you know -- they tend to get used to it. After living in the South for most of my life, with a few years in the Northeast and Midwest, I can tell you unequivocally that small-town Midwest was FAR more "segregated" and racially biased than Atlanta. Some of the casual comments I heard out there were breathtakingly ignorant, along the lines of "Well, you probably don't want to live THERE, you know, too many (insert minority here)."

Atlanta does pretty darn well. There are no barriers to living wherever you want, but at the same time, there's no requirements that you have to live in a particular place, either.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:54 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Do you fell like Atlanta is separated by race.
Thats a simple question with a difficult answer, it depends on who you ask, where they live, their personality & whether they are a home town booster or not. So the answers will always change.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
While Atlanta is known for having several well to do majority Black neighborhoods, the majority of African Americans actually living in the city fall into lower economic brackets while the majority of whites within the city of Atlanta are relatively high economic standing.
This is the point I have tried to make since moving here, but I have seen many argue against this very statement you just made. Im sure poor whites do exist in Atlanta, but the way black media showcases Atlanta you would think every black person in Atlanta is doing well in life. Its kinda like an advertisement if want to be black & successful MOVE to Atlanta and you are set. Black media never hypes the truth that whites here actually have way more money.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:33 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
I think that we are more economically segregated. Some folks may not see through skin color to arrive at that conclusion, but I think FOR THE MOST PART that perceived racial segregation is not that at all.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:18 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I think that we are more economically segregated. Some folks may not see through skin color to arrive at that conclusion, but I think FOR THE MOST PART that perceived racial segregation is not that at all.
i mean, that's like covering your eyes and pretending a problem doesn't exist. find me a place in atlanta where impoverished whites live with impoverished blacks. find me a rich neighbourhood that isn't all white or all black.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:28 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i mean, that's like covering your eyes and pretending a problem doesn't exist. find me a place in atlanta where impoverished whites live with impoverished blacks. find me a rich neighbourhood that isn't all white or all black.
There is truth in what you say, bryant, but it's not all about race.

There are indeed wealthy neighborhoods that have both blacks and whites. And there are many mixed middle class neighborhoods.

However, I agree that the bottom end of the economic scale is still pretty segregated by race.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:06 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
When I lived in the suburbs it was more diverse (blacks, white East Asians, Desis, etc.). Living in Virginia-Highland and Buckhead it's mostly white. As some of you pointed out, it has to do with income as whites in the city make significantly more than blacks in Atlanta. When hanging out in Buckhead I'm often either the only black person there, or the black people who do come don't live in the neighborhood. I get asked by a lot of blacks (many who own homes in burbs like Stone Mountain, unincorporated Decatur, Lithonia or the Camp Creek area) how is that I'm able to live in Buckhead, as if because I'm also black I shouldn't be able to.

You see people of different races getting along here, but I think it's surface.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Knowing more about the later than the former: Buckhead, Ansley Park, Morningside, etc. I'm certainly not saying those are 50 / 50, but the last I checked there were far more than two races around these parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta