Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:57 PM

348 posts, read 433,494 times

Advertisements

Random Glimpses Of Underground Atlanta, At Lunchtime - Visual Journeys - Curbed Atlanta

I think UA has an image problem that needs to be cleaned up and I think some simple updates to how it looks will really do it justice. Other than that keeping Five Points Station safe and clean and really cleaning up the block of Peachtree between MLK and Alabama would make that area pop again, even if it isn't another BA. It can be a popular place that can draw a mix of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 03:20 PM

7,351 posts, read 6,505,480 times
Is there a current map of Underground? The site doesn't have one, just a list of the stores. Even just about every mall these days keeps a map online.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:25 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,799,044 times
UA does siffer from an image problem. I've been to there lots and never felt unsafe or threantened.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:50 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,851,044 times
the main problem with UA is that it's an attempt to be a destination unto itself. peachtree center mall, just a few miles northward, is vastly more successful because of the things that surround it.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:41 PM

32,009 posts, read 36,673,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the main problem with UA is that it's an attempt to be a destination unto itself. peachtree center mall, just a few miles northward, is vastly more successful because of the things that surround it.
Good point, bryant. I like Underground and don't consider it unsafe, but it doesn't have the wherewithal to make it as an independent destination.

I'm surprised the nightlife there hasn't taken off. It's hard to imagine a better location.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:38 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,810,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Is there a current map of Underground? The site doesn't have one, just a list of the stores. Even just about every mall these days keeps a map online.
I would definitely appreciate a map. It's been years since I took a leisurely stroll through UA, and I was just visiting a friend who was in school here. I'm a little more wound up now lol and would like to have some idea where I'm going and where it's at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
This is also a good point. I'm considering going to the Peach Drop this year so my reason for heading to UA would be an activity. Also, I tend to have enough confusion when I get to the Five Points station in the first place so I find myself mainly trying to get away from it rather wandering around and considering UA a destination.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I would definitely appreciate a map. It's been years since I took a leisurely stroll through UA, and I was just visiting a friend who was in school here. I'm a little more wound up now lol and would like to have some idea where I'm going and where it's at.

This is also a good point. I'm considering going to the Peach Drop this year so my reason for heading to UA would be an activity. Also, I tend to have enough confusion when I get to the Five Points station in the first place so I find myself mainly trying to get away from it rather wandering around and considering UA a destination.
I've been to the peach drop every year I've been here. Its fun, full of drinking, activities, and very secure. Police are everywhere. When at five points station, look at the overhead signs to point you in the right direction.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:59 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,810,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I've been to the peach drop every year I've been here. Its fun, full of drinking, activities, and very secure. Police are everywhere. When at five points station, look at the overhead signs to point you in the right direction.

I'm kind of excited about the Peach Drop.

It's far from my first opportunity to join in , but I feel the party atmosphere is what I'm looking for this time.

For the record, I did feel like there was a strong police presence in UA the last time I was there. I understand that the area has a stigma of sorts, but I felt safe. Let's jusy say I felt less safe at the train sation looking for some of my "lost" items when I first moved here.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:33 AM

23,390 posts, read 43,932,484 times
I do find it frustrating that one of the things that makes Atlanta unique among American cities has become all but invisible.
We need to take a backward look at Underground in the 70s and determine what made it so great.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:35 AM

Make UA the Georgia railroad museum or a museum dedicated to the civil war. It would have been the perfect setting for the Atlanta History Museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: