Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:39 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Do black barbers cut hair differently than white or Asian or Hispanic barbers? That's a serious question with no racial undertones - just before some of you get started. I guess I ask because I've never noticed that my barber's ethnic background makes a difference.
It depends on what they have been trained to do. Black hair care and cutting is very different from other hair types. In California they still (or at least did back in the 90's) have separate barber colleges required by state law so that the barber would be trained in the type of hair that they intended to specialize in. After they graduate they can cut everyones hair, but in general I think that most non-black barbers are unfamiliar and unskilled with black hair cuts unless they have made an effort to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Do black barbers cut hair differently than white or Asian or Hispanic barbers? That's a serious question with no racial undertones - just before some of you get started. I guess I ask because I've never noticed that my barber's ethnic background makes a difference.
Yes, black men have different hair from white men. Mostly dealing with the lineup and other minor things but that's the main difference. I'm sure, most white barbers could do it but I don't know about the lineup for them. Funny thing, most black barbers seem to be at ease doing white and others hairs.

Hell, a lot of black shops have white guys who can cut black hair.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:54 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
2Easy and PKCorey - Thank you for your kind responses. As a white guy, I was curious and never knew all of this. Thinking back now, I suppose I should have figured that was the case. Interesting how something as seemingly insignificant as a haircut can show how different we all are.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:46 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,968 times
Quote:
2Easy and PKCorey - Thank you for your kind responses. As a white guy, I was curious and never knew all of this. Thinking back now, I suppose I should have figured that was the case. Interesting how something as seemingly insignificant as a haircut can show how different we all are.
It is more than that. The barbershop in the black community is a place we can go to get away from women temporary and we can be men. We can talk about subjects that we cant normally talk about around other races and around women. The barbershop is our escape. We can talk about women, sports, political topics with people that think just like us without being stereotyped. It is more than a haircut, it about the experience.

As far as the haircut, we would rather have someone that looks like us cut our hair because they should have more experience cutting our hair. 99% of black barbers can cut black men's hair. The number of white/and or hispanic barbers that can cut our hair is lower so it is better to go to a black barber because he should have more experience.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:46 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
It is more than that. The barbershop in the black community is a place we can go to get away from women temporary and we can be men. We can talk about subjects that we cant normally talk about around other races and around women. The barbershop is our escape. We can talk about women, sports, political topics with people that think just like us without being stereotyped. It is more than a haircut, it about the experience.

As far as the haircut, we would rather have someone that looks like us cut our hair because they should have more experience cutting our hair. 99% of black barbers can cut black men's hair. The number of white/and or hispanic barbers that can cut our hair is lower so it is better to go to a black barber because he should have more experience.
G,

thanks for explaining. You're a better man than I am. I no longer have the patience to teach those that don't get it.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:02 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
G,

thanks for explaining. You're a better man than I am. I no longer have the patience to teach those that don't get it.
Lol

I wasnt going to but I was bored at work

Old 12-23-2013, 08:12 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,593,562 times
Barber shop,located by Atlanta Clark University at the intersection of James P.Brawley & MLK Jr Dr .(1 mile south off Northside Dr and Georgia Dome)

Coast to coast,759 Martin Luther King Jr.Dr.NW,Atlanta,Ga 30314.

Contact Qadir 404-578-7477.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Barber shop,located by Atlanta Clark University at the intersection of James P.Brawley & MLK Jr Dr .(1 mile south off Northside Dr and Georgia Dome)

Coast to coast,759 Martin Luther King Jr.Dr.NW,Atlanta,Ga 30314.

Contact Qadir 404-578-7477.
Thank you

Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Requirement #1 should've been "has training and experience cutting black hair"

Old 12-25-2013, 12:26 AM

567 posts, read 890,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
.....23 posts and only one answers the question.

AtlantaGreg, you can close this thread.
Rocco.. I don't see how this is serious.. Go to the South Side of Atlanta and there are Black Barbershops galore. It's a 20 minute drive from downtown and take your pick of barbershops.. That's a good about the Atl.. there is no shortage of black barbers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta