Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:16 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
So am I to infer that signage in that era was deliberately designed to confuse minorities?
Where is my Tylenol?
Lovin, there ain't enough analgesics for that comment... And for heavens sakes, he's implying minorities are worse at figuring out road signs than others? Really? Dumb post of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:18 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The connector purposely cut sweet auburn in half to destroy what was once the wealthiest AA owned street in America.
Sure the routing might've done that but the road had to go somewhere. The road wasn't constructed solely with "Lets destroy black wealth" in mind like that jackwagon insinuated previously.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:34 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Sure the routing might've done that but the road had to go somewhere. The road wasn't constructed solely with "Lets destroy black wealth" in mind like that jackwagon insinuated previously.
Why didn't it go west of downtown, where it was mostly industrial land?

Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
The connector purposely cut sweet auburn in half to destroy what was once the wealthiest AA owned street in America.
Er, the road was actually shifted to lessen the impact on Auburn avenue. Bear in mind that the connector also cut dozens of other streets in the city as well.

As Born 2 Roll pointed out above, it was standard in the early days of expressways to route them through the middle of cities, as that was believed to be the best way to bring commuters to work. The state Highway department (now GDOT) followed what was considered best practice in major cities all over the country.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Er, the road was actually shifted to lessen the impact on Auburn avenue. Bear in mind that the connector also cut dozens of other streets in the city as well.

As Born 2 Roll pointed out above, it was standard in the early days of expressways to route them through the middle of cities, as that was believed to be the best way to bring commuters to work. The state Highway department (now GDOT) followed what was considered best practice in major cities all over the country.
You are correct in that they shifted to avoid destroying atlanta life insurance building, but I still think they were underlying reasons to go straight thru the AA business district.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
You are correct in that they shifted to avoid destroying atlanta life insurance building, but I still think they were underlying reasons to go straight thru the AA business district.
cq, no disrespect whatsoever intended, but that goes more in the category of internet lore, like the claim that MARTA is the only big city transit agency not to receive state funding or that the city of Atlanta decided to kick out the Braves.

I agree with you that highways were used in many cities (including Atlanta) as an attempt to block housing integration but that really wasn't what the connector was about.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:01 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
Ever since I started driving around Atlanta, I've wondered if some of the problems on the Downtown Connector couldn't be fixed by a change of signage where I-85 and 75 meet 285. Instead of signing 285 as a "bypass" and showing 85/75 continuing straight ahead, explicitly route all through traffic onto 285 and sign the lanes heading into downtown as "local traffic only." This would cut down on the number of tourists passing through that suddenly find themselves trying to drive through the heart of a major city, reducing overall traffic in general and traffic unfamiliar with the area in particular. I know 285 is congested as it is, but the Connector seems like the more important issue to solve for the sake of those who live or work in the city.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Ever since I started driving around Atlanta, I've wondered if some of the problems on the Downtown Connector couldn't be fixed by a change of signage where I-85 and 75 meet 285. Instead of signing 285 as a "bypass" and showing 85/75 continuing straight ahead, explicitly route all through traffic onto 285 and sign the lanes heading into downtown as "local traffic only." This would cut down on the number of tourists passing through that suddenly find themselves trying to drive through the heart of a major city, reducing overall traffic in general and traffic unfamiliar with the area in particular. I know 285 is congested as it is, but the Connector seems like the more important issue to solve for the sake of those who live or work in the city.
That what bypass means. If passing thru, use the bypass.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:17 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
I think it is pretty easy to get around. There is one circle, one main east-west, and a few north south.

There are a lot of lanes, but not a lot of roads.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:24 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
Quote:
That what bypass means. If passing thru, use the bypass.
You and I know this, but the volume of cars trying to pass through downtown on a cross-country trip seems to indicate that not everybody's picking up on that, hence the idea of signing it more explicitly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta