Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 11:20 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times

Advertisements

Regarding the Armour Yard, does anyone know if a study was ever done that told how much tax revenue would be lost by the city of Atlanta as dozens of businesses were forced to move to make way for the MARTA operations there? It seems as though opposition to the plan did not make of a dent in the areas of public forums on the proposal for it.

One of the things that angered me about the Young Administration of the 1980's in Atlanta was how it pushed relentlessly to get the Hulsey Yard built there, against the strong opposition of the nearby residents. So, the yard does not have a very long history of operation in it's current configuration. Perhaps the practicality of it as an ongoing center for the railroad has changed in the ensuing 3 decades.
Obviously the proponents of the yard prevailed but unfortunately the debate pro or con morphed into a white vs. black issue as in the touting of jobs that would be generated for people in the city itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 11:38 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Regarding the Armour Yard, does anyone know if a study was ever done that told how much tax revenue would be lost by the city of Atlanta as dozens of businesses were forced to move to make way for the MARTA operations there?
What, MARTA is exempt from taxes?

Old 01-08-2014, 01:13 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is no room for a Cabbagetown station, with the Husley Yard and DeKalb ave. Also, most of the elevated portion is on a curve, which is terrible for a station. The ROW just doesn't exist for an infill station.
It could be a "mini-station" (well, "mini" for MARTA...normal-sized for most systems).

I've lived in various places around the country and the world. It could happen--we would just have to think outside of the Metro Atlanta box.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
I wonder if Hulsey Yard's operations will ever be relocated to somewhere with easier access for trucks. I don't understand why they insist on having a multimodal shipping yard right near all that residential like that. The area needs to be rezoned and CSX should move their operation further out on that east line to somewhere that actually makes sense. Trucks play hell getting to I-20 from there anyway. It seems like it would be in their best interest too.

Also, if LaFarge ever sells their land on Armour Drive that sits on the southwest corner of the intersection of railroads in question, then there would be room enough for a northern multimodal transfer station for MARTA, Beltline, and commuter rail. That and I think they're the last actual rail customer on the east/west line between Howell Junction and Clairmont Road, AND the only remaining customer on the southeast Beltline from Glenwood to Lee Street SW. How is it convenient for them to continue conducting their operations in those locations? Holding out for the big money offer?
Quote:
Easy on the hostility. I realize CSX has their own on ramp to Boulevard, but the actual street going past the wall to Oakland Cemetery and around that curve to the intersection at Memorial can get really dicey. It doesn't seem to me like it's a convenient location for an operation that size. And funding can be found for brownfield remediation. It happens all the time.
Quote:
And as far as relocating to the suburbs goes, both Norfolk Southern and CSX have opened HUGE multimodal yards in more remote areas in Austell and Fairburn respectively in recent years. They're obviously willing to pay for it themselves. The residents around Hulsey Yard have wanted them out of there for years, the location doesn't make business sense for them anymore, and somewhere along the rail line in those eastern suburbs and exurbs could definitely use the work. Rerouting trucks around inner city Atlanta seems like a good idea to me. There must be a good business reason so much industrial has moved OTP in the last few decades, right? It's not that much of a stretch to imagine them moving somewhere that has more space for their soon-to-be-exponentially increased operations with the Port of Savannah expansion.
Good, informative posts. Good comments.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:17 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Regarding the Armour Yard, does anyone know if a study was ever done that told how much tax revenue would be lost by the city of Atlanta as dozens of businesses were forced to move to make way for the MARTA operations there? It seems as though opposition to the plan did not make of a dent in the areas of public forums on the proposal for it.

One of the things that angered me about the Young Administration of the 1980's in Atlanta was how it pushed relentlessly to get the Hulsey Yard built there, against the strong opposition of the nearby residents. So, the yard does not have a very long history of operation in it's current configuration. Perhaps the practicality of it as an ongoing center for the railroad has changed in the ensuing 3 decades.
Obviously the proponents of the yard prevailed but unfortunately the debate pro or con morphed into a white vs. black issue as in the touting of jobs that would be generated for people in the city itself.
Hulsey Yard existed long before CSX built its intermodal facility there.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:22 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
I've lived in various places around the country and the world. It could happen--we would just have to think outside of the Metro Atlanta box.
Like the Civic Center station? The only transit station in the world that is above a freeway and beneath a road.
Also, do not forget that the ROW the tracks run in was bought from CSX. There is no good place for a station there, the track is not flat and the rail yard is very busy.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Hulsey Yard existed long before CSX built its intermodal facility there.
Interesting information.

Hmmm...

OK, so...What was Hulsey Yard like before CSX built its intermodal facility? When did CSX build this facility?

Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Like the Civic Center station? The only transit station in the world that is above a freeway and beneath a road.
Also, do not forget that the ROW the tracks run in was bought from CSX. There is no good place for a station there, the track is not flat and the rail yard is very busy.
cqholt--I'm not downing Atlanta. I am way more native than you could ever dream to be.

I'm just saying--think outside of the box. It may not be a good, perfect place...but things can be made to happen. Your Civic Center example illustrates this perfectly, brother.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Interesting information.

Hmmm...

OK, so...What was Hulsey Yard like before CSX built its intermodal facility? When did CSX build this facility?
It was a switching yard that was similarly sized to the existing facility that was built in the mid-1980s. Most of the local opposition in Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown came from the huge increase in truck traffic to and from I-20.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
It was a switching yard that was similarly sized to the existing facility that was built in the mid-1980s. Most of the local opposition in Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown came from the huge increase in truck traffic to and from I-20.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta