Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:54 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I don't feel that safe on MARTA by myself, let alone leaving my car there.
Marta actually has police on trains now. And I don't think you have to worry about parking your car on the northside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 02:30 PM

477 posts, read 594,043 times
A buddy of mine works for Lufthansa and lived in Grant Park near Memorial Drive for years before he transferred to another city. He only had a 15 minute commute. Swank.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:43 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
If you want to be close to your friends in Marietta, why not just move to Cobb County? Somewhere in Smyrna, Vinings or Cumberland along the 285 corridor? From there it's an easy 30 minute drive to the airport via Camp Creek Parkway in normal traffic ... even if it took an hour during rush hour, that's still better than driving from Carrollton everyday.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:45 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
I'd second Aries' suggestion! Cobb County, especially any place that doesn't require you to drive north on I-75 is an excellent option.

I-285 is almost a straight shot to Camp Creek Pkwy and traffic isn't that, relatively speaking.

I'd also say Cobb has an edge getting to the airport over Gwinnett and N. Fulton.

Now Cobb has some great and some not-so-great areas of southwest Cobb. I don't know the details, but I'm sure Aries can tell you.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:48 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
MARTA has its own police force and the trains and stations are quite safe. The parking lots are well lighted and patrolled and are really no different from other parking lots.

However, if you don't want to commute by car and prefer not to take the train you may be up the creek. You might find a car pool although that could take a little digging.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:00 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Agree with the recommendations about Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings.

I have a friend that works off Camp Creek and the commute at 8am is a non issue on most days. I travel to the airport weekly at 8:30am and the worst part of traffic is Atlanta Road getting to I-285

Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
....but I work at the airport, during normal business hours. Where would you live on the north side that wouldn't be such a terrible commute? Otherwise it looks like I'm stuck in Newnan.
Quote:
Carrollton is pretty far, I have to leave and hour and a half before work Newnan isn't bad but I'm tired of the south side. I want to be around more of the action. Plus, my best friends live in Marietta so I'd like to be able to see them more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It's more "the northwest side," but the Smyrna/Vinings/Mableton Area has always been traditionally popular with airport-area employees.

A very good, easy commute down I-285.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
If you want to be close to your friends in Marietta, why not just move to Cobb County? Somewhere in Smyrna, Vinings or Cumberland along the 285 corridor? From there it's an easy 30 minute drive to the airport via Camp Creek Parkway in normal traffic ... even if it took an hour during rush hour, that's still better than driving from Carrollton everyday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I'd second Aries' suggestion! Cobb County, especially any place that doesn't require you to drive north on I-75 is an excellent option.

I-285 is almost a straight shot to Camp Creek Pkwy and traffic isn't that, relatively speaking.

I'd also say Cobb has an edge getting to the airport over Gwinnett and N. Fulton.

Now Cobb has some great and some not-so-great areas of southwest Cobb. I don't know the details, but I'm sure Aries can tell you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Agree with the recommendations about Smyrna/Cumberland/Vinings.

I have a friend that works off Camp Creek and the commute at 8am is a non issue on most days. I travel to the airport weekly at 8:30am and the worst part of traffic is Atlanta Road getting to I-285
A 5th vote here for Cobb County as I agree with Aries' excellent suggestion of the Smyrna/Vinings area of Cobb County on the Northside.

The Smyrna/Vinings area would be a particularly good choice for you because it would mostly be a "reverse-commute" with the heaviest traffic heading in the opposite direction of the West Wall of I-285 between Atlanta Road and Camp Creek Parkway during morning and afternoon/evening rush hours.

(...During morning rush hour most of the traffic will be heading north on I-285 while you head south on I-285 towards the Airport; while during evening rush hour most of the traffic will be heading south on I-285 while you head north on I-285 going back home to the Smyrna/Vinings area.)

The Smyrna/Vinings area of Cobb County is also a great choice for you because you would be much closer to your friends in Marietta...

...That's because Smyrna is located right next to Marietta, just south of Marietta...which means that it will be a much-shorter driving distance for you see your friends than from Newnan or Carrollton.

Because of the relatively-easy (by Metro Atlanta standards) rush hour commute to and from the Airport, and because of the much-closer distance to see your friends in Marietta, the Smyrna/Vinings area of Cobb County (which, btw is also a rising area of increasing activity for young professionals over the long-term) looks to be a really good fit for you.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:02 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Cobb County to airport=reverse commute on 285

Old 01-01-2014, 06:39 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
A 5th vote here for Cobb County as I agree with Aries' excellent suggestion of the Smyrna/Vinings area of Cobb County on the Northside.

The Smyrna/Vinings area would be a particularly good choice for you because it would mostly be a "reverse-commute" with the heaviest traffic heading in the opposite direction of the West Wall of I-285 between Atlanta Road and Camp Creek Parkway during morning and afternoon/evening rush hours.

(...During morning rush hour most of the traffic will be heading north on I-285 while you head south on I-285 towards the Airport; while during evening rush hour most of the traffic will be heading south on I-285 while you head north on I-285 going back home to the Smyrna/Vinings area.)

The Smyrna/Vinings area of Cobb County is also a great choice for you because you would be much closer to your friends in Marietta...

...That's because Smyrna is located right next to Marietta, just south of Marietta...which means that it will be a much-shorter driving distance for you see your friends than from Newnan or Carrollton.

Because of the relatively-easy (by Metro Atlanta standards) rush hour commute to and from the Airport, and because of the much-closer distance to see your friends in Marietta, the Smyrna/Vinings area of Cobb County (which, btw is also a rising area of increasing activity for young professionals over the long-term) looks to be a really good fit for you.

Awesome points, thank you!!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:13 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
I think your fears are misplaced -- we have been using MARTA for YEARS to go to the airport and downtown from the Sandy Springs or the North Springs MARTA station and have never had any problems -- no broken-in cars, no unpleasant encounters on the train -- nothing.

Have you actually had a bad experience? Or are you just going by hear-say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta