Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 07:09 AM

60 posts, read 223,556 times

Advertisements

Do they pull your credit report everytime they do a pre approval letter. Is there a way to work around them pulling your credit report everytime? Does it hurt? My wife and I are both at 700 and I don't want to go below that shopping for a better offer. I would like to get at least 3 offers, and kind of use that to my advantage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,333 times
You should be fine if your both over 700 regardless of how many times a Mortgage Company pulls your credit. I know it slightly reduces your scores by them pulling it but it's not looked on in a negative way. Try to limit soliciting offers from Mortgage Companies to only 3 solid companies. Mortgage companies pull your credit every time you get a pre-approval/pre-qualification.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:01 AM

7 posts, read 30,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald.vincent View Post
Do they pull your credit report everytime they do a pre approval letter. Is there a way to work around them pulling your credit report everytime? Does it hurt? My wife and I are both at 700 and I don't want to go below that shopping for a better offer. I would like to get at least 3 offers, and kind of use that to my advantage?
Yes, they do pull your credit report every time they do a pre-approval. However, as long as you get ALL of your pre-approvals done WITHIN a 2-week span they should only count as 1 inquiry by the credit bureaus when reducing your score. So you will be fine.

I would also recommend that you first request a "pre-qualification" based on your known scores from the companies you're considering and then let the one with the best "guess-timated" rate hit your credit report first for the pre-approval letter with the others to follow. Pre-qualifications do not require any pulling of your credit report whereas a pre-approval does.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
I was told that if a mortgage company pulls your credit even 100 times in a 30 day period, it will only count as 1 inquiry on your FICO score. And you should shop for the best deal you can get.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:58 AM

24 posts, read 121,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I was told that if a mortgage company pulls your credit even 100 times in a 30 day period, it will only count as 1 inquiry on your FICO score. And you should shop for the best deal you can get.

Today, I get the first pre-qual/approval letter. And I only requested for the amount that I think I will need for the property. Here are my questions:

1. Should I max out the amount possible, rather than just the amount I think I want?

2. What do you mean "the best deal I can get"? Do you mean the lowest rate possible and/or the highest loan amount possible?

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
When you find a house and decide to submit an offer you'll want to have your lender/broker write a pre-approval letter for the actual amount you are making the offer for and include it in your offer. I am sure your realtor will assist with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmp View Post
Today, I get the first pre-qual/approval letter. And I only requested for the amount that I think I will need for the property. Here are my questions:

1. Should I max out the amount possible, rather than just the amount I think I want?

2. What do you mean "the best deal I can get"? Do you mean the lowest rate possible and/or the highest loan amount possible?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta