Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times

Advertisements

Permit me to enter a short rebuttal here that does not intend to hijack the thread...

I find it to be the height of naivete or even intellectual dishonesty if we assume that it is only the political left that has a finger in the pie or can be faulted to any degree for the reasons they hold the positions they do about global warming.

To be fair look at these criteria:
1. the individuals behind the origins of the climate change denial movement & if they are science-based, along with their past histories on other issues.
2. the companies, lobbyists, think tanks who then stepped in to lobby on behalf of or fund the denial movement.
3. the segments of the media that have taken denial as the gospel truth that needs to be disseminated.

The conclusion to be reached is that there are certainly many unclean hands or motives there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 04:46 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Global warming or not, burning fossil fuels pollutes the air, causes damage to our environment (coal mining in particular) and makes humans and other species sick. Further, burning fossil fuels continues to beholden us to other nations in a way that negatively influences good economic and foreign policy.
I care very much about our environment and what this world will be like in 50 years as well. I have 3 children, so it's as much on my mind as anyone's.

What is interesting is that you can simultaneously slam coal while you lament the political and economic impacts of foreign energy dependence. The US has enough coal and natural gas to power us for a few hundred years, yet we invest in foolish wastes like Solyndra. There isn't any serious scientist, energy professional, or even politician who thinks that we can produce sufficient energy with solar, wind, or other "renewable" sources.

I don't want to take this down a rat hole any more than it's already gone, so I'll just clarify my original point that I attempted to make in a sarcastic way. It's awfully convenient for "climate change" folks when they can declare any weather we experience as "climate change." When it was called "global warming" and we had record cold and trending cooling of the atmosphere, for political reasons the term "climate change" was used so that virtually anything can be claimed as an effect of this dastardly phenomenon (and thereby blamed on it), which as we all know is caused by Republicans and big corporations....the arch enemies of humanity.

BTW...I think Al Gore's private jet, limousines, and various homes use more fossil fuels than many small towns, but I digress further. Hypocrisy is worse than being wrong.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:42 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
The cold weather in Georgia is all my fault, so you can blame me. After 20 years, I finally packed up and left Southwest Florida where it was 84 today, although Mon & Tues night the temperature is supposed to drop dramatically. The last day I was in SWFL, I was sitting in my car moaning, "I can't take this heat any more!"

As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say "Well it just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!"

Yes, it has been very cold, even on the coast where I am staying, but I haven't enjoyed a day like Sunday in a long time. I put on a sweater, zipped up my jacket, and drove to the park where I walked on the pier and then sat on a bench and watched a lot of people walking their dogs. I've been feeling blue lately, and that really put a smile on my face. Then I walked around and wondered how many stories the old cedar in front of the library could tell me. So much history! I really wish the sun would shine more often, but Georgia is such a lovely place to be.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The cold weather in Georgia is all my fault, so you can blame me. After 20 years, I finally packed up and left Southwest Florida where it was 84 today, although Mon & Tues night the temperature is supposed to drop dramatically. The last day I was in SWFL, I was sitting in my car moaning, "I can't take this heat any more!"

As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say "Well it just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!"

Yes, it has been very cold, even on the coast where I am staying, but I haven't enjoyed a day like Sunday in a long time. I put on a sweater, zipped up my jacket, and drove to the park where I walked on the pier and then sat on a bench and watched a lot of people walking their dogs. I've been feeling blue lately, and that really put a smile on my face. Then I walked around and wondered how many stories the old cedar in front of the library could tell me. So much history! I really wish the sun would shine more often, but Georgia is such a lovely place to be.
I'm also from south west Florida. And I also couldn't take the heat anymore. lol. I'm looking forward to the cold we are going to see tomorrow. I have never experienced anything like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta