Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times

Advertisements

I don't get this infatuation with population growth. Resources are finite; populations cannot, and should not, grow forever. We need to work on having a sustainable economy that is not dependent on population growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
I hope it picks back up! Population growth is important for revitalization and energy of a city. I like seeing lots growth because new people bring good things to the area. Atlanta is losing ground on the other cities in the top 10 metros of the country because growth has slowed down so much. Kind of sucks to see that happening when up until 2007 it was gaining ground big time.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I hope it picks back up! Population growth is important for revitalization and energy of a city. I like seeing lots growth because new people bring good things to the area. Atlanta is losing ground on the other cities in the top 10 metros of the country because growth has slowed down so much. Kind of sucks to see that happening when up until 2007 it was gaining ground big time.
But, what was gaining? More folks? More cars? More buildings? I don't think it gained in quality of life.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Muslim is a religion, not an ethnicity. There are also MANY caucasian (and even Chinese and Hispanic) Muslims in this world. But I'm sure you weren't aware of that.
duh. i have a white muslim neighbour. the thing is, a lot of the new immigrants are indonesian muslims, pakistani muslims, turkish muslims, etc. there have been a lot of new islamic centers and mosques established in the atlanta area that cause them to see atlanta as a viable place to live whereas non-muslim indonesians , pakistanis, and turks wouldn't see atlanta as any more viable.

my comment would have been the same if i had said 'there are a lot of jews moving to atlanta', which is true.

There are also MANY middle eastern (and even black and asian) Jews in this world. But I'm sure you weren't aware of that.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
But, what was gaining? More folks? More cars? More buildings? I don't think it gained in quality of life.
it did for me. there are so many interesting people moving here and making our metro more interesting. koreatown, for example, didn't exist 20 years ago. that's an improvement to me.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Well, Atlanta metro does represent over half of GA's population, so I think a discussion about Atlanta's growth in the Atlanta forum is appropriate. But, your having mentioned that, I'm curious how Columbus and its environs are doing in the growth department. From what I've heard and seen, Columbus seems to be hopping these days.

Columbus is on fire!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
More folks, cars, and buildings are a better quality of life if you ask me. I'm a people person though and I LOVE the big city feel. The more cars, and people, and buildings, and fast speed of life is a plus to me.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it did for me. there are so many interesting people moving here and making our metro more interesting. koreatown, for example, didn't exist 20 years ago. that's an improvement to me.
Good point. Have to agree w/ ya!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:13 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Columbus is on fire!
I was just thinking the same thing.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:18 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
The census estimates for 2013 are here. It shows the South leading population growth nationwide yet again. However, a disturbing trend shows Georgia slowing. Georgia added 76,000, mostly around Atlanta. North Carolina added 99,000, spread over Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Asheville, and the Triad. Virginia added 75,000, mostly around D.C. Florida led the numerical increase with 232,000, spread pretty evenly over most of the state. If the entire state of Georgia only added 76,000 people, Atlanta's growth numbers will be disappointing to many. Atlanta constitutes about 2/3's of Georgia's growth. You can expect the Atlanta MSA to add between 50,000 and 60,000 residents. A major slowdown compared to the near 100,000 numbers previously. Anyone think it will pick back up?
No. The opportunity is not what it used to be. Why move to Atlanta, without a job, without a degree, without a plan? Charlotte is a more populated city in the inner core. Northern Virginia has the majority of that States population and higher paying jobs. Florida is cheap if you avoid Miami and Naples.

People are going to continue to fill into Virginia and North Carolina, at least for another 10, 15 years until they find another state with the buzz Georgia has enjoyed for the last 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta