Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:31 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
APS is closed tomorrow. Sighting it did not want students in the dangerous wind chill.
Same for most/all of the schools up here in NW Georgia. Even if the roads wind up being clear, the authorities don't like the idea of kids waiting for school buses when the wind chill is -15 degrees F. I have to agree; some parents who grew up in the South might not know how to dress their children for this kind of severe cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Same for most/all of the schools up here in NW Georgia. Even if the roads wind up being clear, the authorities don't like the idea of kids waiting for school buses when the wind chill is -15 degrees F. I have to agree; some parents who grew up in the South might not know how to dress their children for this kind of severe cold.
Some parents may not have the means to dress their kids for these dangerous conditions. Thick coats are expensive and not needed every year.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:15 PM

325 posts, read 577,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Sorry your trip didn't work out well apparently, but a lot of this seems odd.

Did you time your arrival to coincide with rush hour? Also, you should have had several options if your ultimate goal was to go north on 985--do you use traffic apps to see what the best route is?

High humidity? Perhaps in comparison to the desert, but not out of the norm of any of the eastern part of the country.

What rental car debacle--like, the company messed up or difficulty with the train? Renting cars at ATL is quite simple and easy in comparison with many other major airports.

Did you get a nonstop flight on Delta or save money by adding a layover in SLC? Delta serves all the cities you mentioned nonstop from Atlanta. Weather should not have been such an issue--I know plenty of people who have flown in and out of Atlanta recently, and all of their delays have been on the other city's side.

Also, as noted there aren't any significant issues with road conditions today, nor have their been throughout the whole holiday period. Everything is fine.
As former "heavy" pilots we are very familiar with the airport and with GA in general - we lived there for ten years. Whenever we return the traffic just seems to be getting worse and worse.

The humidity for me isn't a problem - I grew up in Maui where it averages 100" rainfall yearly and the humidity averages is 90% daily. My hubby grew up in NE Ga - maybe not so much rainfall but with severe arthritis now - the desert is helpful. Where we live at present the winter humidity is nearly as bad as GA. In summer it's rarely above 40% even when it drizzles. Plus we are at very high elevations - 7500-9000ft.

Our choice of car companies left us at the curbside without the requested vehicle - one that we a solid conf number on and a hefty deposit paid. I blame Travelocity for that one. We had to settle for a little bitty car to stuff our six foot (me) and six foot four (him) frames into with our presents tied to the roof.

Our former employer is gone so we fly on discounted fares - when we can pick/choose our flights. Unfortunately Delta doesn't cooperate very well. We ended up re-routing ourselves using our G*D given logic instead of their computerized routes. Southwest was the champ for us.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:37 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Dressing standards withstanding, it is true that it's a pretty good idea to keep kids at home in this type of weather. The cold that is hitting us over night caused midwestern school systems to close today for the same reason, though we're a tad bit warmer:

Temperatures continue to drop; districts cancel school | The Columbus Dispatch

Dangerously Cold Weather Forces Airline Cancellations, School Closings

Old 01-06-2014, 03:48 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
I just went and bought me some bread and milk for this cold weather tonight

Old 01-06-2014, 04:20 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
Some parents may not have the means to dress their kids for these dangerous conditions. Thick coats are expensive and not needed every year.
I have the means and my kids wouldn't had the gear for this kind of weather unless we happened to go skiing. Heck, with the exception of some ski stuff, I don't have the gear.

Unfortunately, there is no other easy solution to this challenge.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:24 PM

Old 01-06-2014, 06:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
I have no problem with keeping kids inside (especially when its only a day or two) and there is a big difference between going from car to office to home versus sitting in it for 20 minutes waiting for a bus. But layers are the key to dressing for this, you don't need the biggest jacket in the world if you layer.

Quote:

Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I have no problem with keeping kids inside (especially when its only a day or two) and there is a big difference between going from car to office to home versus sitting in it for 20 minutes waiting for a bus. But layers are the key to dressing for this, you don't need the biggest jacket in the world if you layer.
I think we are turning this generation of kids into some punk azz kids. Let the kids man up. Let them have a story to talk about 15 years from now about how they braved the cold weather and went to school. How will the learn to thrive when they're not required to deal with anything?!

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 01-06-2014 at 07:10 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Just give me a HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY snow storm right after rush hour on a Friday evening and Im good!!!

......But I need it melted by Monday morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta