U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,748 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

1. Budget- $750,000
2. House/Condo/Townhome?- Single Family Home, preferably new construction, new neighborhood
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)- husband will be commuting to Buckhead for work
4. Children(public school vs. private)- we are open to either but preferably public schooling. Children are 3.5 and 7 months so we are looking for preschool and then Kindergarden in the next year.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- I would like to say Urban- as in walkability to shops, restaurants, parks, farmers markets etc but we currently live in a new development and love the sense of community and how easy it is to meet people and other young families. We have no family in the area or friends.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?- not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.- young families, new construction, pool. Close to parks, family friendly activities.

We are relocating to Atlanta from Cincinnati. Originally we were looking to be inside the perimeter and looking for an older more established neighborhood. However, after doing a few visits we think we are more suburban family. Currently, we are in a new development that is very transient, very easy to meet people and social. We found a neighborhood in East Cobb that seems to fit the mold, Mabry Manor. Anyone know anything about it? Overall, East Cobb seems nice but there is just something about the surrounding area that isn't sitting right with me. I would love any and all opinions you have. The schools would be Pope, Hightower and Mountain View. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 PM
 
10,083 posts, read 10,678,298 times
Reputation: 7310
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2 View Post
1. Budget- $750,000
2. House/Condo/Townhome?- Single Family Home, preferably new construction, new neighborhood
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)- husband will be commuting to Buckhead for work
4. Children(public school vs. private)- we are open to either but preferably public schooling. Children are 3.5 and 7 months so we are looking for preschool and then Kindergarden in the next year.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- I would like to say Urban- as in walkability to shops, restaurants, parks, farmers markets etc but we currently live in a new development and love the sense of community and how easy it is to meet people and other young families. We have no family in the area or friends.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?- not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.- young families, new construction, pool. Close to parks, family friendly activities.

We are relocating to Atlanta from Cincinnati. Originally we were looking to be inside the perimeter and looking for an older more established neighborhood. However, after doing a few visits we think we are more suburban family. Currently, we are in a new development that is very transient, very easy to meet people and social. We found a neighborhood in East Cobb that seems to fit the mold, Mabry Manor. Anyone know anything about it? Overall, East Cobb seems nice but there is just something about the surrounding area that isn't sitting right with me. I would love any and all opinions you have. The schools would be Pope, Hightower and Mountain View. Thoughts?
Mabry Manor is a brand-spanking-new neighborhood of single-family homes in a built-out area in highly-regarded and highly-desired affluent East Cobb community where most new construction these days is either on the lots of teardowns of older smaller single-family homes or some kind of higher-density infill residential development.

The schools that serve the area by way of the schools in the feeder zone for the very highly-rated and very highly-regarded nearby Pope High School are some of the best public schools in the entire Southeastern U.S.

I personally know about the very high-quality of the schools in the Pope HS cluster as I have some friends that graduated from Pope HS in excellent academic standing and went on graduate from some top-notch universities on full academic scholarships (2 friends graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on full academic scholarships after graduating from Pope HS while the other friend graduated from Columbia University in New York on full academic scholarship after graduating from Pope HS).

The area where Mabry Manor is located is in a great area with many amenities nearby (amenities that are located within a convenient driving distance).

The only drawback to the area (or the thing that might the thing that "isn't sitting right with you") is that you will not be doing any walking around the immediate area of the Mabry Manor development as the surrounding area is built strictly to automobile scale for several miles and throughout almost all of Metro Atlanta outside a few select areas inside the I-285 Perimeter in Intown Atlanta (mostly inside of North Central Fulton and DeKalb counties) and outside of the I-285 Perimeter.

If you want walkability while living in a development like Mabry Manor in East Cobb, you will either have to get in your car and drive a few miles to relatively-nearby walkable village areas like the historic downtowns of Roswell, Woodstock, Marietta, and Acworth, or you will have to drive several miles to the many walkable areas inside of the I-285 Perimeter.

If you're looking for "walkability to shops, restaurants, parks, farmers markets, etc" then 'East Cobb ain't it' as right now there ain't a walkable bone in East Cobb's thoroughly automobile-dependent suburban body or soul.

Though, outside of the total lack of walkability, East Cobb is a great community with very-low crime, excellent schools and lots of amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 AM
 
125 posts, read 223,110 times
Reputation: 33
If you want to consider East Cobb with 750,000 I would suggest you to buy in Walton high school rather than Pope. It is the top most schools nation wide. Though Pope is also good but nothing in above Walton or Northview in GA. I know a family who moved out of Pope into Walton. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 10:36 AM
 
16,375 posts, read 28,451,721 times
Reputation: 7230
nanhi is test-score, ranking obsessed.

Last edited by aries4118; 01-07-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 AM
 
16,375 posts, read 28,451,721 times
Reputation: 7230
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2 View Post
... Overall, East Cobb seems nice but there is just something about the surrounding area that isn't sitting right with me. I would love any and all opinions you have. The schools would be Pope, Hightower and Mountain View. Thoughts?

I know a lot about this area...a lot. I could offer a ton of information.


But--I/we need more details...what is it exactly about the surrounding area that isn't sitting right with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:11 PM
 
550 posts, read 963,951 times
Reputation: 232
We love living in East Cobb. It is not "walkable". But you should have tons of options for beautiful homes in great neighborhoods in the Pope/Walton area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 PM
 
Location: East side - Metro ATL
1,325 posts, read 2,586,969 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2 View Post
1. Budget- $750,000
2. House/Condo/Townhome?- Single Family Home, preferably new construction, new neighborhood
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)- husband will be commuting to Buckhead for work
4. Children(public school vs. private)- we are open to either but preferably public schooling. Children are 3.5 and 7 months so we are looking for preschool and then Kindergarden in the next year.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- I would like to say Urban- as in walkability to shops, restaurants, parks, farmers markets etc but we currently live in a new development and love the sense of community and how easy it is to meet people and other young families. We have no family in the area or friends.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?- not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.- young families, new construction, pool. Close to parks, family friendly activities.

We are relocating to Atlanta from Cincinnati. Originally we were looking to be inside the perimeter and looking for an older more established neighborhood. However, after doing a few visits we think we are more suburban family. Currently, we are in a new development that is very transient, very easy to meet people and social. We found a neighborhood in East Cobb that seems to fit the mold, Mabry Manor. Anyone know anything about it? Overall, East Cobb seems nice but there is just something about the surrounding area that isn't sitting right with me. I would love any and all opinions you have. The schools would be Pope, Hightower and Mountain View. Thoughts?
I feel the same way about East Cobb. I live in Sandy Springs which is close to East Cobb and that area has a better feel to it, IMO. The schools in the area are great also. They are building a lot in Sandy Springs as well so new construction should not be a problem. Sandy Springs is more populated than East Cobb and the area is accessible by major highways (GA-400 and I-285). Even though transit is not important to you, you will at least have access to it in Sandy Springs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,748 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I know a lot about this area...a lot. I could offer a ton of information.


But--I/we need more details...what is it exactly about the surrounding area that isn't sitting right with you?
I think the neighborhood directly next door was a concern for me. What i noticed were rundown, older homes that were not taken care of. In your opinion, are these homes going to be there long term or would you imagine more of a revitalization in that area...possibly tear downs and then new builds. Is there a "nicer" part of East Cobb? Could this party be not as nice, less desirable? It seemed to me that if you go one direction you end of at nice shops, grocery, etc but the other direction is very different. Please realize that I did not have a lot of time to explore the area as much as I had hoped so I could be mistaken, it was really just a feeling I had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 PM
 
6 posts, read 8,748 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
I feel the same way about East Cobb. I live in Sandy Springs which is close to East Cobb and that area has a better feel to it, IMO. The schools in the area are great also. They are building a lot in Sandy Springs as well so new construction should not be a problem. Sandy Springs is more populated than East Cobb and the area is accessible by major highways (GA-400 and I-285). Even though transit is not important to you, you will at least have access to it in Sandy Springs as well.
Could you recommend some new neighborhoods and builders in Sandy Springs? I would love to check it out some more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 PM
 
550 posts, read 963,951 times
Reputation: 232
There are different opinions on this but the perception of many is that East Cobb schools are better than those in Sandy Springs. Check out the area around the intersection of Roswell Rd. and Johnson Ferry Rd., zoned for East Side, Timber Ridge, Mt. Bethel elemtary schools. There are other great schools in East Cobb but that could give you an idea. I can't think of a neighboorhood around here that is not well kept or that has what anyone would describe as run-down homes. If your kids were older I would suggest the Riverwood (might be Riverview? I am too lazy to look it up right now) High School zone in Sandy Springs, but your kids are younger and while I hear great things about that high school at least from what I have heard the elementary and middle schools there don't have as solid of a reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top