Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:35 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Who cares as long as the side of the buses are generating money? Hell Ken Nuget has a rail car wrapped for an advertisement.
Same reason many cities limit billboards. Visual pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:14 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
I think something like "North Avenue Station (sponsored by AT&T)" would be fine. In addition to the license fee to cover MARTA's costs of signage and changing the names in informational media, charge a maintenance fee as well to help offset the cost of keeping the station clean.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Maybe MARTA could do an adopt-a-station, like the adopt-a-mile program. I'm sure more than a few scout troops and other civic organizations wouldn't mind doing public service once in a while.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:46 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think the station names should be informative, not advertising. If we do advertising, I don't have any problem with alcohol. But we have to weigh the need for money vs. making transit (and the city) look trashy.
I agree that there's something kind of gross about forcing people riding public transit to ride around in rolling advertisements getting on and off at branded stations, but honestly I support any reasonable effort MARTA makes to bring in money. If people don't want to see advertising on public transit ask their representatives to financially support MARTA.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:18 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
As much as I hate advertising everywhere, and it is EVERYWHERE, I realize it's kind of a necessary evil as far as covering some costs. I just hate when it becomes really blatant and more about the advertising than the thing the advertising is on (I'm looking at you, Turner Field).

But, I draw the line at station-renaming. It's bad enough that we plaster these names on arenas and stadiums, and change them every few years. The amphitheatre has been Lakewood Amphitheatre, Coca-Cola Lakewood Amphitheatre, Lakewood Amphitheatre, HiFi Buys Amphitheatre, Lakewood Amphitheatre (again!), and finally Arron's Amphitheatre at Lakewood. It gets to the point that no one knows what you're talking about. We don't need that kind of crap with MARTA stations.

I have to wonder how long it will be before we have "AT&T Street at Peachtree" or "Coca-Cola North Avenue".

Old 06-04-2014, 09:37 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
I'm not sure the advertising on the outside of the trains is necessary, nor worthwhile. When do people see the trains? The only time outsiders see the trains is when they blast across on a bridge. But those are basically over highways so who really watches them? People in stations don't really see them because they're boarding the train and half the advertisement is below the platform anyway even if they're waiting for the next train. With this lack of readability, I think the advertisements just make the trains look trashy, especially those cars with that yellow wrap thing running around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: