Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times

Advertisements

you're seriously telling the OP to live in a place with a 1 hour+ commute to her job? this is what's wrong with ATL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 6,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I believe that the schools that Avondale Estates is zoned for are Avondale Elementary, Druid Hills Middle, and Druid Hills High. Which generally have very poor, poor, and so-so test scores, respectively. There is the also the Museum School Charter--which is public, but is difficult to get into, and the School of the Arts that I think is a magnet school, which entry to is not garrunteed.

it is sad how families have to compete to get into a good public school system. I am a firm believer that public school can deliver a good education, and good education should be available for all children. My two older children went through the NJ public school and got admitted to Princeton and University of Virginia. I'm not worried about the competitiveness of charter or magnet schools for my remaining 2 children but what about those who are not academically gifted, the ones who need the most help?

Old 01-11-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The Druid Hills Cluster, Lakeside Cluster, the City of Decatur, and Parkview/Brookwood are all good/decent schools.

Based on your criteria and needs, here is my recommendation:

*1. The Parkview High Cluster in Gwinnett County. Excellent schools and stable. Beautiful homes and neighborhoods. Great newer homes in your price range. Decent commute for you. Perfect area for families--especially large families.

2. The Brookwood High Cluster of Gwinnett County. Same attributes as the Parkview Cluster, but slightly further away. That's why it's number 2 (but still a good choice).

3. The City of Decatur. Excellent schools. You can afford some homes in CoD, but you will have more trouble finding a home to meet your family's needs. You have a big family.

* --> In my opinion, your best option!

Here are some helpful links:

GCPS Cluster Boundaries

Parkview Cluster

https://maps.google.com.br/maps?sadd...ra=ls&t=m&z=12

Brookwood Cluster

Home

http://www.csdecatur.net/

I hope this helps some. Good Luck.
This is by far the most comprehensive list I got. Thank you so much! Yes I have a big Family but the Older 2 children are own thier own and come home only on holidays. GSMST is an excellent school, 3rd best in country!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:53 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarachi View Post
it is sad how families have to compete to get into a good public school system. I am a firm believer that public school can deliver a good education, and good education should be available for all children. My two older children went through the NJ public school and got admitted to Princeton and University of Virginia. I'm not worried about the competitiveness of charter or magnet schools for my remaining 2 children but what about those who are not academically gifted, the ones who need the most help?
The difficulty into getting into the charter has mostly to do with demand. There are a few spaces, and many want in. I think a lottery determines entry, with first preference going to those zoned for Avondale elementary. I don't think it is an academic competition to get into the Museum school. Academics/special abilities probably plays a role in getting into the School of the Arts--but I am unsure to what extent.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
A couple of more things to consider for the School of the Arts-
1) I think it draws countywide. So you could live in the Lakeside cluster, and try to get in-- even if you didn't you would still be zoned for one of the best school clusters (in a struggling school system).--not sure how transportation would work, though.
2) I could be wrong, but... I think that The School of the Arts only uses a fraction of the campus that used to house , the now closed, Avondale High--so it is probably expensive to maintain, in a county that is already has financial troubles--I would always worry that they could close the place.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
The difficulty into getting into the charter has mostly to do with demand. There are a few spaces, and many want in. I think a lottery determines entry, with first preference going to those zoned for Avondale elementary. I don't think it is an academic competition to get into the Museum school. Academics/special abilities probably plays a role in getting into the School of the Arts--but I am unsure to what extent.
Of course every parents want the best education for their children without paying 50K/yr boarding school. I think a little raise on the property tax will certainly improve GA public school system. I was astonished on how low the property tax is, My property tax here in NJ is higher than a 1.5 million dollar home in Atlanta. As high as it is, at least families with school children don't have to go through lottery system to get a good public school education.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:47 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,382 times
Quote:
Of course every parents want the best education for their children without paying 50K/yr boarding school. I think a little raise on the property tax will certainly improve GA public school system. I was astonished on how low the property tax is, My property tax here in NJ is higher than a 1.5 million dollar home in Atlanta. As high as it is, at least families with school children don't have to go through lottery system to get a good public school education.
It is frustrating. My wife is from another country and doesn't understand why it's this way. We chose our home a decade ago to be near family and have a short commute with the intention of leaving this horrible school district when having kids. Thankfully the Museum School charter started, we got in and now will stay.
Two years ago we basically had a 50/50 chance of getting in and I'm guessing it's even more difficult now. If you were to choose city of Decatur schools you'd pretty much be set and also be living in a desirable area most likely. I know in NJ houses are radically more expensive, but it still amazes me that 700k might not quite get what you want. 700k in the burbs here would get a ridiculously large house.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:

You do not have to do this in Atlanta as well.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
This is by far the most comprehensive list I got. Thank you so much! Yes I have a big Family but the Older 2 children are own thier own and come home only on holidays. GSMST is an excellent school, 3rd best in country!

Amarachi--first of all, you do not have to focus on a charter or a magnet school here. Actually, it is better if you don't. Just concentrate on getting into a good school district and system.

Since your older two children only come for visits/holidays, then the City Schools of Decatur should move up higher on your primary search list (along with Parkview and Brookwood).

Also, based on your criteria and needs (and further explanation about your family/kids), I would like to add another area to my recommendations:

4. The Grady High Cluster in the City of Atlanta--in the Springdale Park, Mary Lin, and Morningside elementary school districts. Excellent schools. Close commute. Housing search will be similar to the City of Decatur that I mentioned above.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
This is by far the most comprehensive list I got. Thank you so much!

Thanks and you're welcome.

A lot of people on here make quick recommendations without much background knowledge and thought...and their recommendations are sometimes based on hearsay and little stats from news briefs that they may see in passing. Be careful--and wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta