Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 11:11 PM

8 posts, read 36,524 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for areas to live in the North/Northeast part of atlanta. Working rather far up I-85. I've been looking into Dunwoody and surrounding areas. Single young female...any suggestions? I've heard good things about dunwoody, just not so sure wha'ts there to offer. Any fun bars/ shops etc? If not, any suggestions for locations on the perimeter or near??? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 01:14 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,418 times
Dunwoody typically is known for old money and more expensive homes in Atlanta (you get less for your money since it's about the location).

By your specs, check out Sandy Springs.
Housing is more affordable, there is a younger crowd, and quicker access to the bar scene (and there's a Comedy Store and other things there). There are also more hangout places and good places to eat off of Roswell Rd.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:07 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
I agree - Dunwoody is a great location for families, but not where I think of when I think "single". I also agree that Sandy Springs (ITP) would be a good option. Half way between malls at Perimeter and Lenox/Phipps, great little boutiques, fun bars with a young professional crowd and safe for running, walking...

Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Yep, head closer to Perimeter Mall and even Brookhaven for more a more 'happening' vibe.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
I grew up in D'woody and recently moved back after getting married. It is cooler than it used to be but still not exactly a utopia for someone who is single. The only real bars in actual D'woody are Dunwoody Tavern and Timmy's Village Pub, and they are pretty basic pub/tavern type places. Perimeter Center has places that are basically just restaurants with bars, like Taco Mac, but still not exactly crazy nightlife. When I was single I lived in Midtown and Virginia-Highlands and loved it - honestly, these are the better areas for someone who wants to have a good time and meet cool new people. Agree with posters above that D'wood is straight up family-livin'. You could also check out the Toco Hills area, on N. Druid Hills Rd. near Briarcliff - you can actually find a small older home around there to rent or buy for not too much, it is also right off 85 for an easy commute.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:46 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
When you say you are working "far up I-85", where exactly do you mean? This could make a difference in terms of commuting times if you are worried about that. The top end perimeter is a nightmare during rush hours.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:24 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,916 times
Try looking at Brookhaven..it's just south of Dunwoody and is closer to Midtown/Buckhead nightlife. Plus it's pretty close to 85 (bonus is that reverse commute on 85 is pretty easy).

Old 11-28-2007, 06:52 PM

8 posts, read 36,524 times
"Far up 85" actually means closer to 985. I am willing to commute a bit...but I still need my sanity!! Will it be worse going up 85 in the am as opposed to the pm? Or is it a nightmare both ways? Thanks so much for all the great ideas!!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
You'll be going against traffic so you should be okay. I'd definitely look into Brookhaven. You can shoot down Peachtree or Buford Hwy and cut off some of the highway stuff too. ARe you renting? Lots of people live in Post Glen (right in Brookhaven on Peachtree) before buying. Very young/professional crowd.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:38 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
I used to commute from just ITP around the 400 area to Sugarloaf Pkwy. No problems in the morning and I could typically drive at least the speed limit. Afternoons, for some reason, were a different story. Some days weren't so bad - others were miserable. If you can stay off 285, you should be fine (I guess that is how you got looking at Dunwoody, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta