Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I go on a DAY TRIP drive from Atlanta?
Savannah & Tybee Island, GA 7 33.33%
Chattanooga, TN 8 38.10%
Panama City Beach, FL 1 4.76%
Gatlinburg, TN (Great Smokey Mts.) & Cherokee, NC 4 19.05%
Asheville, NC 7 33.33%
Charlotte, NC 2 9.52%
Savannah & Hilton Head, SC 3 14.29%
Charleston & Hilton Head, SC 1 4.76%
St. Augustine, FL 0 0%
Pensacola, FL 0 0%
Destin or Fort Walton Beach, FL 0 0%
New Orleans (is it doable in 4+ hrs?), LA 1 4.76%
Biloxi/Gulfport, MS 0 0%
Helen, GA 3 14.29%
Myrtle Beach, SC 1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Savannah is under 4 hours from Atlanta? Maybe, if you leave very early to beat all the traffic on 85, and don't run into the several radar pointing troopers posted along 16.

Even if you make it in 4 hours, you'll either spend more time driving than seeing the city, or you'll have a very long day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 12:18 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I agree all those locations except Helen are too far for a day trip.

Some good day trip locations:

Athens - visit UGA, downtown Athens & the Georgia State Botanical Garden

Callaway Gardens

Dahlonega

Madison,Ga

Amicola Falls Park
chattanooga isn't really too far. neither is greenville, but he didn't mention that one.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:44 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Savannah is under 4 hours from Atlanta? Maybe, if you leave very early to beat all the traffic on 85, and don't run into the several radar pointing troopers posted along 16.

Even if you make it in 4 hours, you'll either spend more time driving than seeing the city, or you'll have a very long day.
Yes, even by modest Google maps standards: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=maps&...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAg.

Also, you take 75 not 85.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I agree all those locations except Helen are too far for a day trip.

Some good day trip locations:

Athens - visit UGA, downtown Athens & the Georgia State Botanical Garden

Callaway Gardens

Dahlonega

Madison,Ga

Amicola Falls Park
This list makes far more sense as far as daytrips go.
Callaway Gardens is lovely as is adjacent Pine Mountain. From there it's a short and scenic drive to Warm Springs and the Little White House.
After visiting Madison, be sure to stop into the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle for a great authentic Southern buffet.
Going to Dahlonega could involve a couple of winery tours and a trip to Brasstown Bald. The view from the top is spectacular.
Also consider a trip to Tallulah Gorge, Highlands, NC and the Dillard House Restaurant.

Last edited by Iconographer; 01-12-2014 at 08:43 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
New Orleans or Charlotte via Megabus IMO

Old 01-12-2014, 08:54 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
This list makes far more sense as far as daytrips go.
Callaway Gardens is lovely as is adjacent Pine Mountain. From there it's a short and scenic drive to Warm Springs and the Little White House.
After visiting Madison, be sure to stop into the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle for a great authentic Southern buffet.
Going to Dahlonega could involve a couple of winery tours and a trip to Brasstown Bald. The view from the top is spectacular.
Also consider a trip to Tallulah Gorge, Highlands, NC and the Dillard House Restaurant.
Callaway Gardens would be a great 1 day trip. Beautiful area just north of Columbus and south of Atlanta.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:14 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Callaway Gardens would be a great 1 day trip. Beautiful area just north of Columbus and south of Atlanta.
Actually, I want to make a trip to Columbus for white water rafting. I love that you can walk right out of the river and into bars and restaurants.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:22 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Actually, I want to make a trip to Columbus for white water rafting. I love that you can walk right out of the river and into bars and restaurants.
Huge plus! Whitewater is going to be huge this coming summer. Was just in the new store that Whitewater Express opened in downtown Columbus. They are expecting 70,000 people to come through the doors in the next 3 years. That will make them the largest whitewater outfit outside of Colorado. Truly amazing how this project is taking off. I'll be happy to tell you some places to check out while you are here!

Old 01-12-2014, 09:41 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Thanks for the advice from all...

-For those who say Pensacola isn't 4 hours... I can say I've actually made that drive in less than 4 hours. I was 19 and late for work. PEDDLE TO THE FLOOR!!! LOL

Okay, so I see questions about defining "day-trip"
Here's the conditional way it's defined here. I don't want to be in the car too long (4 hrs is the soft limit. IF the destination is worth the drive, we can give a few).
IF it takes the entire time to get there, of course, it's just too much to go in the morning and still come back at night. So, we'd want to stay a night... In THAT case, the destination has to be worth staying over night in, AND cost effective. I'm not paying $200 for 1 night on a "day trip/overnight/turn around" trip room... BUT I don't want to stay far outside the destination in some country Motel just to get a $50 price.

In other words, we'll make the max drive IF it's worth it. And stay overnight IF the town is worth it.

Now, I HAVE been to many of these cities before, and don't really care for most of them. Because of this, I feel I should ask others "what there is to do" in those locations, maybe this way someone will put me on to something new that will make for a good day/turnaround/overnight trip.

I've lived in Pensacola before and do really love the Panhandle myself. I just love the beach sand all along the handle. BUT, as a visitor, would it be worth making an overnight trip that will meet my criteria? I don't know. Haven't been there since the 90s

I did not add Greenville cause I didn't even think of it. Actually, I've never been there and have never heard anything about there that makes me want to go. So, please enlighten me if it IS worth a trip.
Have also never been to Asheville.

I DO know that Chattanooga is less than 2 hours from my house (according to Google Maps). And I have made a drive that way, But it wasn't to Chattanooga, it was to Knoxville. So, I've never take in the sights & sounds of Chattanooga. I'm wondering if it's worth a trip & can it be a nice, romantic day. Walking and looking at cool things, maybe hiking or biking, maybe a ferry ride (do they do that there?), something touristy but not TOO corny, and a good restaurant...

I've been to Savannah several times, but everytime there, I was on business. I tried getting out to the town, but never knew what else to do besides buy some candy from that candy factory on River street. So, if you feel Savannah is the best choice, please tell me where to go, what to do (besides look at historic buildings and Spanish moss). And where is worth eating? And, can it be done in 1 day or does there need to be an overnight?

Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
Been researching what you guys have been saying. I'm still a little unclear of what I would go to Greenville for, but I have some ideas for some others...

I'm leaning toward trying to make this day trip a "Hiking + attraction Trip"
I would like to go on a good, scenic hike that includes a beautiful waterfall. Then some sort of town attractions in the city for after the hike. Plus a good restaurant.

Which location could I find that?

Helen, GA
Chattanooga, TN
Asheville, NC

(when I ask which location, I'm saying I don't want to drive to destination, THEN STILL have to drive another hour+ to get to the hiking trails... So, are there hiking trails IN the area of the town?)
Keep in mind the "is it worth the trip" factor please.
Meaning (Price, travel time, stress, etc...)

I'm seeing a few interesting things in each:

Chattanooga: Seems to have the most options.
Ruby Falls - Is that worth it? Worth the price? How much are tickets?
Rock City Gardens - Looks cool. Is it worth the price?
Lookout mountain?
I'll skip the aquarium to go hiking instead. But where can I go hiking and see a waterfall within short distance of downtown?
Any idea what the typical weather is like in early March? Is it cooler than Atlanta because it's North or in the Mts?

Helen: Haven't been there since I was a child. I'm guessing it will still be too cold for the Tubing on the river, but how cool is it around that time? Does the elevation make it cooler?
How far away are Anna Ruby Falls & Raven Cliffs hiking trails? Any good restaurant or attraction IN Helen for after the hike?
I hear put-put is fun there.

Asheville: There's that estate to go look at, but is it really interesting? Any good hiking trails?

Aside from the hiking, I am still thinking about Savannah. Would it be worth the trip? Where should we go for romance? Where should we eat? And what should we do while avoiding the paper mill smell...?

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 01-12-2014 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta