Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 04:16 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times

Advertisements

You have to be super old school to remember this.....

I think I might have mentioned this here or there on this board a while back, but does anybody remember Wet Willy's waterslide?

When I lived here in 1980 and 1981, we used to love to go to Wet Willy's. But since I was such a tiny kid, I have no idea where it was. I am led to believe it was near Cobb Parkway and the property that housed it is now a car dealership. Does anybody know exactly where it was located, or better yet, have any kind of photo of it? I've never been able to find one.

I also don't know where there is a hill that it would have been on. It wasn't a modern slide on stilts, it was one of the old school fiberglass half-pipes that you slid down on a mat, so it had to be built on a natural slope.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 04:26 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,610 times
Well, I wasn't here then but it sounds like Whitewater on Cobb.

Side Note: When I first saw the thread title I was having an early a.m. moment and thought you were talking about Margaritaville in Montego Bay.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Well, I wasn't here then but it sounds like Whitewater on Cobb.

Side Note: When I first saw the thread title I was having an early a.m. moment and thought you were talking about Margaritaville in Montego Bay.
No, he is not talking about White Water. It pre-dated White Water...White Water put it out of business.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

I think I might have mentioned this here or there on this board a while back, but does anybody remember Wet Willy's waterslide?

When I lived here in 1980 and 1981, we used to love to go to Wet Willy's. But since I was such a tiny kid, I have no idea where it was. I am led to believe it was near Cobb Parkway and the property that housed it is now a car dealership. Does anybody know exactly where it was located, or better yet, have any kind of photo of it? I've never been able to find one.

I also don't know where there is a hill that it would have been on. It wasn't a modern slide on stilts, it was one of the old school fiberglass half-pipes that you slid down on a mat, so it had to be built on a natural slope.

Yes--I remember driving by this from when I was a very little kid...it always looked so fun, but we never went.

It was located on Cobb Parkway...on the southern/central parts near the car dealerships from what I remember. I think it was near the Richway (now former Richway).

And the area down where it was is very hilly.

Other posters that were older during this time will definitely be able to give you more details...I hope.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,404 times
I remember. you had to go down on mats…*all of the slides were concrete weren't they?

Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorns666 View Post
I remember. you had to go down on mats…*all of the slides were concrete weren't they?
That's the way I remember it.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 12,670 times
Default Found it!

My sister and I were JUST talking about this over the weekend which led me to Google, and I found this thread. I remember going there as a kid in maybe 1980 I think. I found a site that lets you view old aerial maps.. I remember it was gone by 1988 but it's there in 1978! Look at the middle of the map. Today the property has been graded down and Steve Rayman Chevrolet sits there, I believe.
Attached Thumbnails
Striclty for the old school - Wet Willy's waterslide-wet-willys-cobb-parkway.png  

Last edited by NemoMini; 03-10-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 12,670 times
Default Better pic...

Here's a better pic with street labels. Wet Willy's is in the top left, Richway (now Target) is bottom right...
Attached Thumbnails
Striclty for the old school - Wet Willy's waterslide-street-labels-1978-wet-willys.png  

Old 03-10-2014, 10:11 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Great find!

I don't live anywhere near that land, I wonder if you can see the slope still or if it was graded to make room for the car lot.

Hard to imagine a waterslide couldn't make enough money to stay open in Atlanta, but I guess it did only have 4 months or so each year to make enough money for the entire year.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:09 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

There was a Wet Willies in Tucker near Lawrenceville Hwy and I-285, across from Rehoboth Megachurch. It was on a big, man-made hill. A Knights Inn is there now. I went there at least once, and I remember the concrete slides. Whose hair-brained idea was that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta