Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 01:01 PM

12 posts, read 17,755 times

Advertisements

1. Budget | $800-$1700 (prefer $800-$1400) not including utilities
2. House/Condo/Townhome? | Anything except apartment. 1+ bed/bath (pref. 2/2) 850+ sq. ft. w/ yard/patio/green space behind property
3. Employment Status (commute/work from home) | work from home, not important but not too far out
4. Children (public school vs. private) | No children
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two | Mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? | No, have my own car

A lot of info so bear with me please lol

My boyfriend and I are relocating from SC to ATL at the end of this month. I have a pretty good idea of general areas I would like to be in but need some suggestions of actual neighborhood names and streets to look at. Such as instead of general "Buckhead" - condo community "Cross Creek."

I am 24 and like being near restaurants, shopping, and entertainment but also like a community/suburban uniform look and feel to where I am living. For example, I really like condos and townhomes with HOA and gated is a huge plus. I have a dog (pit bull) so I do need a little green space- ground level patio (not balcony) / yard pref. fenced, but if not, just some semi private green space behind property.

I'm not concerned with the age of others in the community- young or older doesn't matter to me. I don't like having a lot of people coming over to my place- I don't have gatherings, parties, or even regular visits from others because I just prefer to go out and have my home be my space. That being said, it is just a personal preference of not having people in MY home. I don't care if neighbors have people over regularly and noise doesn't bother me as long as it's not people hanging out all the time in front of the front yard or streets. In their own home and backyard is their business.

As an example, I have included a neighborhood in SC that is a perfect example (pics below). From what I see, this neighborhood seems similar to Cross Creek and the area seems like Dunwoody/Perimeter Mall. This SC neighborhood has HOA, a recreation center within walking distance, and walking trails. It is mainly older ~70s but has recently had an increase in small families ages 30+ without kids. The homes are $800-900/mo 2 bed 2 bath ~1200 sq. ft. condo/duplex (2 attached) with privacy fence and separate yards/patios in back. There are no units above and no upstairs in the unit (just an attic). The neighborhood is literally right around the corner from a really popular mall with a lot of entertainment and food. This neighborhood and area is not downtown but is easy access from interstate or back roads ~10-15 miles to downtown. The area itself reminds me of Dunwoody / Perimeter Mall (which I really liked) from when I visited but I didn't get to visit any neighborhoods and haven't seen any online.

^^^ The above is just a reference idea of a neighborhood I like. I know I may not find a match in ATL within the areas I am looking and I know the price will not be the same, especially the more desirable the location. That is why the budget is so flexible.

I have been very active on craigslist, zillow, trulia, point2homes.com, coldwellbankeratlanta.com, city-data forums (of course), etc. and checking out everywhere on google maps. I am just having trouble finding specific community suggestions.

From everything I have read and seen, the areas I like are:

* Atlantic Station
* Buckhead
* Druid Hills
* Dunwoody
* Emory area
* Inman Park -- really liked from when I visited but I was in an area of expensive townhomes out of my price range
* Little Five Points
* Midtown
* Virginia-Highland
* Vinings -- I BRIEFLY drove through Vinings on my last visit and wasn't really open to it but am reconsidering as I've read it is convenient and more affordable
* Underwood Hills -- I haven't visited this area in ATL but from what I see online I love Defoors Landing 30318 and 1101 Collier Rd NW 30318 (Carlyle Square- HOA doesn't allow pit bull).

Areas I have semi looked and see mentioned frequently but don't know much about:

* Ansley Park
* Briarcliff
* Cabbagetown
* Castleberry Hill
* Sandy Springs

Areas I'm not really open to:

* Decatur -- I was originally open to Decatur but advised look in 30030. Never really found a lot I liked in this zip and not open to the rest of Decatur
* East Atlanta
* Smyrna -- same as Decatur

I know I will need to compromise but with all the given info, any suggestions on specific neighborhoods/streets to look into?? Thanks so much!!

SC neighborhood described as comparable:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Just move to a suburb. The areas with the cookie cutter look you describe with all the amenities you want will either be really expensive or you will get the cookie cutter look with no amenities near by other than strip malls.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:02 AM

449 posts, read 1,176,047 times
I went for the new school cookie cutter look and bought a property down in Fairburn, GA.

There's nothing here, but a Walmart and a few other chain stores. A BJs is going to be built soon here though.

For what you're into, I'd do Vinnings, Duird Hills, or Dunwoody though. Not too far from the city and inexpensive enough where you'll get the space you needs

Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 AM

12 posts, read 17,755 times
Thanks for the input! What do y'all think about Cross Creek and Liberty Pkwy NW?

There is an unit in Cross Creek and gated townhomes on Liberty Pkwy NW I am currently considering. I haven't viewed the properties in person yet (hopefully this week) but from everything I see online they seem to match up and be decent areas.

I am leaning toward liking the townhome on Liberty Pkwy NW but I can't get a feel for the area from google maps and haven't seen many opinions online. I've read opinions about Cross Creek which seems fine, but the reviews are all dated.

Opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta