Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:03 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Hi Fi Buys Amphitheater!

But it is a far ways from Cobb Pkwy. Its down on the Southside of Atlanta, now called Lakewood Amphitheater with some sponsor name in front of it. Its the biggest or one of the biggest outdoor amphitheaters in Atlanta. Most of the big summer concerts go there.
Hi Fi Buys before it closed was in Hertiage Plaza (or whatever that is called) in the space that I believe is now Anna's Linens and Dollar Tree. From Hwy 41 it is kind of behind Loehmans Plaza/Best Buy

Prior to that location it was at the corner of Cobb Parkway and I-285. The place that now has a power transformer (is that what is it called?) and the Cumberland sign.

I remember buying a $400 VCR from that store!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:44 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
I went to the Briarcliff Loehmann's on Sunday-- the store looked like a bread and milk aisle before a snow flurry, but honestly their selection has gone downhill so much in the past few years I even lost my "platinum" status I have had for...forever! most of the items were only 20% off and the clothing/jewelry left was rather bland yet people were filling up their carts.

It seems its been a couple years since the Back Room has been decent; harder to find good bargains and good labels always find major bargains that made L's the place to get nicer last season items and even runway samples). At one point Loehmann's was more like a good day at Century 21, where you could find a 4-digit item for less than $100 then throw coupons on top of that. It seems TJ Maxx (well, at least the "nice" one at the Perimeter) and Off 5th/Neiman Marcus' outlet have taken away that niche but without the discounts.

When I was younger Loehmann's sort of took the place of the much missed "bargain basement" at Rich's downtown. Plus it was always fun to read the receipt and see something ridiculous (and meaningless) like "YOU SAVED $4000 OFF THE ORIGINAL PRICE"...as if I'd pay that....!

Loehmann's closing reminds me of losing the Ansley Park Playhouse where I saw "A Sunday Afternoon at Loehmann's" a few years back. Ironically, my best friend's Jewish Great-Grandmother (who worked at Rich's for nearly 40 years) used to take us to Loehmann's on Sunday so we could get the "best deals while everyone else was at church" haha!

20% off surely will not make me go out of my way.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:28 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Who remembers what Service Merchandise was called before it was Service Merchandise? At least the location on 41 where the Lexus dealership now stands.

Or is no one on here as old of a fart as I am?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:50 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Who remembers what Service Merchandise was called before it was Service Merchandise? At least the location on 41 where the Lexus dealership now stands.

Geezum peace. This is a loaded question.

I cannot say what it was called at that location, but wasn't the original store name something like Wilson's? I remember we used to get the catalog in the mail and we had a store in my hometown.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:47 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Quote:

I was thinking it started with an L - perhaps Lee's

I grew up in Orlando and we had a different but similar store that was not Service Merchandise.

Service Merchandise for me was my earliest experience in buying things online. I travel for work, and I remember shopping online (I am sure it was still dial up then), buying from Service Merchandise for delivery at the 41 store. It was waiting for me at the conveyer belt as soon as I got back into town. What an amazing convenience!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 AM

950 posts, read 3,192,065 times
Was it Wilson's Catalogue Showroom? Service Merchandise bought the company in the mid-1980s.

I remember other catalogue showrooms like Ellman's, Ardan's and Brendle's.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:27 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Brian, you got it and you didn't know it. It was Ellman's, based in Charlotte. Service Merchandise took over the Atlanta locations.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:11 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Brian, you got it and you didn't know it. It was Ellman's, based in Charlotte. Service Merchandise took over the Atlanta locations.
I remember Ellman's. They had a conveyor belt that brought your purchase to the cashier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta