Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times

Advertisements

I have never shopped at Loehmann's, but I do like a good sale. I thought it was an appliance store, but a friend from Boston informed me otherwise years ago yet I still never got around to shopping there. At any rate, the sale started January 9...

Retailer Loehmann’s going out of business

By Christopher Seward The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Loehmann’s, a specialty retailer that has had a presence in Georgia for years, is going out of business and closing its 39 locations, including two in metro Atlanta.

Beginning Thursday, the retailer, which opened its first store in New York in 1921, said it will begin selling off $65 million in inventory. The company’s metro Atlanta locations include 2480 Briarcliff Road in Atlanta and 120 Perimeter Center Place in Dunwoody.

Loehmann’s blamed declining economic conditions in key markets, including New York, California, Florida and the Midwest, for a drop in business. The retailer is also selling fixtures and equipment from all 39 stores.

Retailer Loehmann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 05:23 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
Years ago, Loehmann's had a much bigger presence in Atlanta. It was typical for them to have whatever strip mall they were in called Loehmann's Plaza.

I remember when they closed several of their stores it was a big discussion as to whether the Loehmann's Plaza name would stay. The Best Buy off of 41/Cobb Parkway used to be a Loehmann's Plaza - is that name still there?

Old 01-12-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Years ago, Loehmann's had a much bigger presence in Atlanta. It was typical for them to have whatever strip mall they were in called Loehmann's Plaza.

I remember when they closed several of their stores it was a big discussion as to whether the Loehmann's Plaza name would stay. The Best Buy off of 41/Cobb Parkway used to be a Loehmann's Plaza - is that name still there?
Not since I've lived here, but I have had a long history of passing thru here and have lots of bits and pieces to assort lol.

However, you did bring to mind that I think I recall something else being there. I cannot remember exactly what it was called - maybe something amphitheater. I'll have to think about it, but recall should kick in eventually. I also remember a Service Merchandise on 41 not far from there but do not remember the exact location - that was one fine liquidation sale when they closed.

At any rate, I'll check out the Loehmann's sale since I guess this is it - now or never.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:46 PM

[quote=ElleKaye;32990852]... I also remember a Service Merchandise on 41 not far from there but do not remember the exact location - that was one fine liquidation sale when they closed...
[quote]

Service Merchandise was on the corner of Spring and 41 where the Nalley Lexus is now.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Service Merchandise was on the corner of Spring and 41 where the Nalley Lexus is now.
Ah ok so that's why I could not figure out exactly where it was. The building does not exist anymore.

Trying to remember the old amphitheater name is starting to drive me a little nuts, but I am relatively certain it was where Best Buy is now. Anybody care to put me out of my misery?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 AM

I have been in this area since 1986 and don't recall an amphitheater but until I move from Cumberland Mall area to Smyrna - 4 miles total, my only reason to go outside the perimeter was for Service Merchandise.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:52 AM

I was only visiting so maybe I am just wrong about the location of the amphitheater even though I cannot remember the name of it right now ("darn" it and you know that was not my first choice of word).

Anyway, I'll give Loehmann's a few days to go into true clearance mode and check them out. The selection may be a little slack, but I'll deal with it.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:08 PM

69 posts, read 184,427 times
Quote:
Wow - haven't heard reference to Service Merchandise in so long! I still find boxes with their price tag on them at my Mom's house. One of the original wholesalers...

Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
I never had known of Loehmann's before. I will sorely miss them.

Service Merchandise... man that brings back memories.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
I had no idea that any Loehman's stores were still in business ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta