Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:58 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing you haven't seen the LPA for Clifton Corridor because it only has a few at-grade sections, and those are in protected reservations unlike the Atlanta streetcar. The rest is underground, overhead structure, or at-grade separated and alongside the CSX right of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 02:17 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I'm guessing you haven't seen the LPA for Clifton Corridor because it only has a few at-grade sections, and those are in protected reservations unlike the Atlanta streetcar. The rest is underground, overhead structure, or at-grade separated and alongside the CSX right of way.
it has shared right of way on clifton road and on scott boulevard. they changed it.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:29 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
They haven't committed to that just yet, but even so, the "shared lanes" on Clifton are for a very short segment, and I doubt they'll go with less than a dedicated reservation when it's all said and done.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:22 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Explains the cost.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:09 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can tell you for a fact that the government hasn't done any upkeep on most of the roads in my area for years.

We could work wonders with the $15 million they are allocating to operate the 2.7 miles streetcar for a few years, not to mention the $100 million spent to build it.
These streetcars are a Field of Dreams. Build it and they will come. Not just ride the streetcar which travels as slow as a bus, but developers will increase density. And not a single one of those new residents will use cars on the already overburdened arterial street system which will lose lanes to the streetcars.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm so tired of the anti-transit attitude in this city. There's no wonder cities like Houston, Seattle and Dallas are sweeping past this city. Nothing can ever get done about anything without it being political. That's why Atlanta will never push that barrier that separates it from a truly world class metropolis(NYC, SF, LA, Chicago, etc).
I've never seen a city that is more anti-road than Atlanta is now (I realize it hasn't always been that way).

Its not anti-transit. Just everyone wants someone else to pay for it.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:18 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the clifton corridor LPA sucks. it's essentially a 14 mile streetcar.

Agreed. And its on some of the most congested streets in the area.

It was originally designed as a MARTA extension with twice the ridership, but the Emory LaVista group didn't like the idea of MARTA heavy rail running next to the railroad tracks (they have freight trains, but somehow didn't like MARTA heavy rail while MARTA light rail was acceptable????)

Old 01-19-2014, 10:55 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Agreed. And its on some of the most congested streets in the area.

It was originally designed as a MARTA extension with twice the ridership, but the Emory LaVista group didn't like the idea of MARTA heavy rail running next to the railroad tracks (they have freight trains, but somehow didn't like MARTA heavy rail while MARTA light rail was acceptable????)
it's BS. i don't see it as worth the funding unless the right-of-way is exclusive, especially considering the costs are about the same. i'd rather get the beltline off of the ground rather than fund the gutted clifton corridor project.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:25 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the clifton corridor LPA sucks. it's essentially a 14 mile streetcar.
Indeed. I hate that MARTA caved to the local pressure of not considering HRT there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta