Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 11,006 times

Advertisements

A Question for a Suitable Town, with a nuance:

I may relocate w/family to ATL; Live in a very nice town just outside Philadelphia and am very happy with where we live, just a job opportunity may be beckoning... So, Is there anything that could come close to replicating what we have here?
1. Short commute to city preferebly via rail (I walk on both ends of commute now, but realize that might not be possible, so a short drive to a MARTA station would be ok. I absolutely will not commute an hour each way, currently walk 5 minutes to train, 15 min. ride to Center City Phila., and want to have a family life)
2. Town with traditional downtown, actually has lots of stores - walkable from house !
3. Decent schools (don't have to be in top 1 %, but pretty good)
4. Walking distance to at least one park (we can walk to two fabulous parks)
5. Reasonably affordable (4/5 BR, 2+ bath for $500k or less)
6. Like everyone, want a place low on crime, but not paranoid either

I know it's a tall order and realize nothing is perfect, but any suggestions on a town that comes closest to what we have now is greatly appreciated ! (worst thing here is property taxes !) Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Historic Roswell or Viriginia Highland

Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Possibly Decatur or parts of midtown.

I'm not certain what 4/5 bdr homes list for in these areas.

Piedmont Park is the largest/most well-known park--located in the midtown area. Large scale events are held there from time to time.

Atlanta may be moving toward the 'Town/village' concept but at present it is a suburban environment. jmo.

bhs

Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
Your budget will be a bit tight for Decatur but I think you could find something and that you'd love the city. Here's the city's web site:

City of Decatur, GA

Old 11-28-2007, 10:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReloPhila View Post
I may relocate w/family to ATL; Live in a very nice town just outside Philadelphia and am very happy with where we live, just a job opportunity may be beckoning... So, Is there anything that could come close to replicating what we have here?
1. Short commute to city preferebly via rail (I walk on both ends of commute now, but realize that might not be possible, so a short drive to a MARTA station would be ok. I absolutely will not commute an hour each way, currently walk 5 minutes to train, 15 min. ride to Center City Phila., and want to have a family life)
2. Town with traditional downtown, actually has lots of stores - walkable from house !
3. Decent schools (don't have to be in top 1 %, but pretty good)
4. Walking distance to at least one park (we can walk to two fabulous parks)
5. Reasonably affordable (4/5 BR, 2+ bath for $500k or less)
6. Like everyone, want a place low on crime, but not paranoid either
Ok, can I just ask one thing first - WHY are you MOVING??

I realize as you say a "job opportunity" has come up, but did you lose your old job there? Is it just too expensive to maintain your existing home there? If not and you're just seeking an "upgrade" by switching jobs and moving here - uh... stay there! It's sounds GREAT! I'd smack my momma to live in a place that you describe (we have nothing here that would meet that list you have - not all of them, anyway).

Just curious. You obviously have hopefully more reasons than just a job to leave what sounds like such a nice (for you) area. I was just wondering why the move to begin with.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:15 AM

11 posts, read 34,900 times
It's clear that if you have children, you have to consider the school system first !!! East Cobb (Marietta) is quoted as one of the best in Georgia but public transport from Marietta to Atlanta is poor. And the second thing is traffic .... There is so much to consider and to take into account. Currently there is a lot on the market and very good opportunites ... I have to say that I am a Realtor in Georgia and I would advise you to start your search with the school! Good luck!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:19 PM

Thanks everyone for suggestions and thoughts. Moving is a traumatic enough concept, (to me, anyway) and wouldn't even be considering except a chance to make a significant (positive) career move. Of course the other part - and germane to forum - is finding a place that has a least a few elements of a traditional town vs. a purely auto-based existence. Thanks again everyone.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:28 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReloPhila View Post
Of course the other part - and germane to forum - is finding a place that has a least a few elements of a traditional town vs. a purely auto-based existence. Thanks again everyone.
Seriously, take a good look at Decatur. It's absolutely delightful. It's 15 minutes from downtown (30 during rush hour). They have blue sky concerts on the town square, annual events including a beach party (they truck in sand) and Book festival (with authors). Charming homes. Many neighborhood parks. Good school system (progressive superintendent looking into becoming a charter system). Nice restaurants, cute shops. Transit rail station in the middle of town (underground) for an easy ride downtown or out to the airport. It's like Mayberry. Your biggest problem will be price (and very few 5 bedroom homes). But if you can find one that will work for you, I'd be amazed if you didn't like Decatur.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:25 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
If I were buying, I'd try to find something in City of Decatur and probably wouldn't even consider Midtown. Midtown has Piedmont Park (which is excellent), the Fox (best thing in Atlanta, by far) and easy access to Downtown and MARTA, but other than that it's style over substance. Better for singles than familes. Doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Decatur

Decatur sounds like a good possibility, especially re: transit and town center. How are the schools in Decatur? is there a specific neighborhood/zip/school catchment area to consider?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta