Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 PM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

To the OP:

A lot of Douglasville is fairly nice. For some reason, Douglasville seems at peace with itself. It's not like a lot of Metro Atlanta--like it's not trying to be a part of the urban south "rat-race" or something. The overall area is suburban and semi-rural.

I recommend you look in the following areas:

1. South Douglasville/Southern Douglas County in the Alexander High Cluster and the Chapel Hill Area.
2. West Douglasville/Western Douglas County in the Mirror Lake Area.
3. The New Manchester and Tributary areas in the southeastern part of Douglas County.
4. Southern Paulding County to the north--a lot of it has a Douglasville address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Don't move to Douglasville! It's too far from everything mediocore schools, horrible shopping It's a mix of Rural and suburb... You can finder nicer suburbs with better shopping and schools in metro ATL
HORRIBLE SHOPPING?! Arbor Place Mall is one of the nicer retail centers in Metro Atlanta ...

I agree that there are better areas in Metro Atlanta, and the schools in Douglas County are only average as far as metro school systems go, but you can get a lot of house for your money there, it's a generally safe area, and an easy commute to downtown and the airport.

I think Douglas County is probably one of the most overlooked areas of the metro to outsiders, and one of the most misunderstood / unfairly maligned by others in the metro.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
HORRIBLE SHOPPING?! Arbor Place Mall is one of the nicer retail centers in Metro Atlanta ...

I agree that there are better areas in Metro Atlanta, and the schools in Douglas County are only average as far as metro school systems go, but you can get a lot of house for your money there, it's a generally safe area, and an easy commute to downtown and the airport.

I think Douglas County is probably one of the most overlooked areas of the metro to outsiders, and one of the most misunderstood / unfairly maligned by others in the metro.
True.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:26 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
To the OP:

A lot of Douglasville is fairly nice. For some reason, Douglasville seems at peace with itself. It's not like a lot of Metro Atlanta--like it's not trying to be a part of the urban south "rat-race" or something. The overall area is suburban and semi-rural.

I recommend you look in the following areas:

1. South Douglasville/Southern Douglas County in the Alexander High Cluster and the Chapel Hill Area.
2. West Douglasville/Western Douglas County in the Mirror Lake Area.
3. The New Manchester and Tributary areas in the southeastern part of Douglas County.
4. Southern Paulding County to the north--a lot of it has a Douglasville address.
I agree with you about everything in your post except the embolden portion. Douglasville is politically a war with itself and there are a number of things that you will see changing in the near future.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I agree with you about everything in your post except the embolden portion. Douglasville is politically a war with itself and there are a number of things that you will see changing in the near future.
I just mean the "feel of the area," if that makes any sense.

In terms of politics--not surprising...so many of these little fiefdoms always have something going on.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
If you want to keep up with what's happening in Douglas County, the Douglas County Daily Sentinel website is an excellent source of news and information. The paper has made HUGE HUGE HUGE improvements over the past couple of years and is really quite good! I highly recommend it, especially to other news junkies like me who are into metro Atlanta area goings-on that are no longer covered by the the AJC and other intown news sources.

Douglas County Sentinel: Local.News.First

Unfortunately, today's front page doesn't exactly look good for somebody desiring to move to Douglas County! LOL!

PS --- The Douglas County Sentinel is part of a group that also includes the Daily Times-Georgian in Carrollton and the Griffin Daily News:

http://www.times-georgian.com/
http://www.griffindailynews.com/

Old 01-15-2014, 09:38 PM

20 posts, read 40,757 times
We are looking at this community call Brookmont, it sits between Chapel Hill and Fairburn road.

We don't have any children yet, so by the time we do have child or children who is ready for elementary, maybe we will move to Gwinette County.

Right now, just can't afford to buy a house in Duluth and Norcross, or Lawrenceville.

Did see something not too expensive in Lawrenceville, but it is so far from Atlanta or Major highway.

The community in Douglasville is close to the mall and I-20, just seems like a good spot ha. I don't really want to stay in Paulding county, it is too far from everything.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:24 PM

72 posts, read 99,812 times
We have lived in Paulding, just on the border to Douglasville for 12 years. It's quiet here and a good place to raise kids. We have had no trouble at all with crime. Except for petty things that you find everywhere. My biggest complaint is nothing for kids to do. Other than that .. it's a nice place to live =)

Old 01-16-2014, 05:16 PM

477 posts, read 593,931 times
I was born and raised in Douglasville and lived there until a couple of years ago. It's a good place to raise kids. Anybody saying Douglasville isn't safe really doesn't understand crime. There are isolated incidents here and there, but very rarely is there anything serious. And if there is, everybody in town knows about it. It's a typical suburban layout with a big cluster of commercial near I-20 and mostly subdivisions outside of that until you get to points west of about Post Road (Exit 30) and south of Hwy 166, where it starts turning pretty rural. The schools are just fine. My brother is a music instructor at a couple of the high schools. It's generally a pretty peaceful place, unless it's Black Friday and you happen to be near Arbor Place Mall. Other than that, it's pretty laid back. Happy hunting.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:33 PM

Enjoy!

New Manchester, Georgia | Live Well in East Douglas County

New Manchester, Georgia | Location

Drone Flight over Ruins - YouTube

New Manchester, Georgia | Trails

Happenings | New Manchester, Georgia

Tributary at New Manchester | Home Page

Tributary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta