Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:54 PM

10 posts, read 16,609 times

Advertisements

So, the hubby and I have made the decision to move from ITP to the North Atlanta burbs for better schools, less crime and more house for the money. I'm not very familiar with those areas, so we need some help narrowing down our search.

We are looking for 4+ BR with a basement, fairly updated (no fixer uppers), swim/tennis would be nice, budget 300k - 400k. Ideally we would love to be within walking distance of a park or some sort of greenspace/walking trail. I work in the Sandy Springs/Perimeter area and hubby works near 75/285. So, trying to find a place that won't result in killer commutes for either of us is a priority.

Doing some research online, it looks like Roswell, E. Cobb and Alpharetta would be the best areas. Are there any other areas we should consider? We really don't want to live any further out than necessary. Plus all of the homes are in subdivisions, and it is overwhelming trying to research them all individually. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on specific neighborhoods and/or subdivisions that might best meet our needs.

Thanks!

-atlmama97
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,071,852 times
Based on yours and your husband's work locations, East Cobb sounds like it would be your best bet. I grew up right near Walton High School and could get to either Cumberland or Perimeter Center within 20 minutes.

Some subdivisions you may want to consider that fit your criteria include Meadow Chase/Princeton West, Independence Square, Providence Corners, and Princeton Corners.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Based on yours and your husband's work locations, East Cobb sounds like it would be your best bet. I grew up right near Walton High School and could get to either Cumberland or Perimeter Center within 20 minutes.

Some subdivisions you may want to consider that fit your criteria include Meadow Chase/Princeton West, Independence Square, Providence Corners, and Princeton Corners.
I will check these out. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 AM

550 posts, read 984,348 times
I really like being close to the intersection of Johnson Ferry and Roswell. There are neighborhoods down Roswell Rd. toward Roswell that would work and also down Timber Ridge. (Jackson's Creek, Willow Point, Old Forge)I would make sure there is an active swim team. Some neighborhoods have a pool but no swim team, and we have really enjoyed the swim team. It is a great way to meet neighbors and friends for your kids.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
I really like being close to the intersection of Johnson Ferry and Roswell. There are neighborhoods down Roswell Rd. toward Roswell that would work and also down Timber Ridge. (Jackson's Creek, Willow Point, Old Forge)I would make sure there is an active swim team. Some neighborhoods have a pool but no swim team, and we have really enjoyed the swim team. It is a great way to meet neighbors and friends for your kids.
Thanks!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,824,262 times
where do you live now? just curious why you'd choose to move OTP.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:20 PM

550 posts, read 984,348 times
Also check out East Hampton--I am not up on prices, but I think there are houses in the upper part of your range. The pool area there is great.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
where do you live now? just curious why you'd choose to move OTP.
Better schools, less crime. Intown living was great when we were single and childless, but life has changed. I don't want to have to worry about getting my front door kicked in by some young thugs looking to steal our flat screens and laptops. Plus it gets really old paying higher taxes for crappier services and subpar public schools.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,824,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmama97 View Post
Better schools, less crime. Intown living was great when we were single and childless, but life has changed. I don't want to have to worry about getting my front door kicked in by some young thugs looking to steal our flat screens and laptops. Plus it gets really old paying higher taxes for crappier services and subpar public schools.
have you considered living in the city of decatur? it has the amenities of being intown but the public schools are way better. plus, you wouldn't ever have to worry about someone kicking in your door.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:37 PM

924 posts, read 1,448,907 times
East Cobb is the best area for both of you getting to work and the other things you mentioned. Roswell would be the second option with Alpharetta being a pain to get to your husbands job. Generally I would look in the Walton and Pope high school districts for the best schools close to both your jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta