Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:08 PM

7 posts, read 11,993 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been researching Atlanta off and on for several years. I have been there several times visiting and was just there for about a week looking for rentals. I realized how bad the traffic really is and it felt unbearable. This was probably going to be my choice for my new home, but have many doubts now. So I have been reading alot of reviews and they are 98% negative. Which makes me very worried I would be making a huge mistake by moving there.

For example the reviews read like:

1. Don't move here you will regret it.
2. Atlanta is over rated.
3. The traffic is horrendous and hours will be spent in traffic commuting.
4. The crime is very bad, muggings, home invasions, robberies, rude people, etc.
5. No jobs! It is often hard for even nurses to find employment here.

I have a choice between moving to southern Colorado (where I lived for many years) or Atlanta. I have a few days to make my final decision. At this time I have no job prospects in either city, but I am torn between if I should go back to Colorado where the job prospects aren't that great or try my luck in Atlanta.

I was set on going to the East coast, but I am not so sure now. I am living in the mid-west currently about 7 hrs from Colorado and about 14 from Atlanta. My lease just ended and I am not going to renew it. I just don't know what direction I should go at this point. If you got this far, thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:19 PM

7,356 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Well, only 4 isn't so accurate, the others certainly are. The job market here sucks except in a few jobs, and it's very very very hahrd to escape traffic entirely. Even if you lived on top of a train station here, you're still stuck driving for most things unless you enjoy waiting 30 minutes on a bus. The few bus routes with high frequencies are mainly commuter routes and mostly serve park and rides rather than being neighborhood buses. As for the crime, most areas are ok, with a few bad areas and a few good areas. North of Atlanta you're definitely in the better areas, but you're also in the worse traffic.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:23 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
98% negative. Give me a break.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:48 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Well, only 4 isn't so accurate, the others certainly are.

Quote:
The job market here sucks except in a few jobs,
It depends on what you do for a living. Some professions are great, others not so. This pretty much true every where. It depends on what one does.

Quote:
and it's very very very hahrd to escape traffic entirely.
Not true, but I could see how some one from Conyers would think so.

Quote:
Even if you lived on top of a train station here, you're still stuck driving for most things unless you enjoy waiting 30 minutes on a bus.
Nonsense. There is this thing called walking. Also, 30 minutes is not exactly a huge inconvenience. Buy a watch, download a bus schedule, time your arrival right and you are good.

Quote:
The few bus routes with high frequencies are mainly commuter routes and mostly serve park and rides rather than being neighborhood buses.
Also nonsense. The buses with the highest frequencies run in the highest density corridors.

Quote:
As for the crime, most areas are ok, with a few bad areas and a few good areas. North of Atlanta you're definitely in the better areas, but you're also in the worse traffic.
The only thing you said that makes sense.

For the OP:

As is standard on these threads, I would say your first and foremost priority should be whether or not you have a job. It doesn't matter if traffic is bad or if "Atlanta is overrated" if you aren't making money. I would say this is true of any city though. Unless you are independently wealthy, moving to a new city with the idea that something good might happen is a recipe for disaster. If you have a job now, continue to save your money for a move and apply for jobs in both cities. Which ever one gives you the best offer is the one you should go with. Simple as that.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
People online are negative on many other major cities as well - its just the nature of these message boards. And any major city in the country on this site you will see people talking about traffic and how bad it is. Your reality on the ground may be quite different depending on where you choose to live.

Plenty of jobs depending on your field of course.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:57 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
A little bit of wisdom from my grandmother. "You will find what you are looking for."

Sounds like you are looking for the negative in Atlanta. You have found it. If you move to Atlanta, you will find it a negative place because you have already made up your mind that a negative Atlanta is what you will find.

My proof? Your own statement that 98% of reviews are negative. This is the Atlanta forum. Are 98% of the people posting here saying what you are saying? No, no and again no. You would have to do an awful lot of digging up negativity on ANY place to find 98% that disgruntled.

On this forum are many from varying walks of life, occupations, areas of the country, races, genders, etc, etc. We disagree on local political stuff, on Suburbs vs. Intown, on transportation issues, on taxes, on schools, etc, etc, but if you will take the time to decipher the overall views on this city from the wide array of posters on just this forum alone, you will find 98% that love this great city.

But you find 98% negativity. You found it because that is what you want to find.

I agree with Newsboy. You need to go back to Colorado.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:03 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCackalackyDreamer View Post
Hello,

I have been researching Atlanta off and on for several years. I have been there several times visiting and was just there for about a week looking for rentals. I realized how bad the traffic really is and it felt unbearable. This was probably going to be my choice for my new home, but have many doubts now. So I have been reading alot of reviews and they are 98% negative. Which makes me very worried I would be making a huge mistake by moving there.

For example the reviews read like:

1. Don't move here you will regret it.
2. Atlanta is over rated.
3. The traffic is horrendous and hours will be spent in traffic commuting.
4. The crime is very bad, muggings, home invasions, robberies, rude people, etc.
5. No jobs! It is often hard for even nurses to find employment here.

I have a choice between moving to southern Colorado (where I lived for many years) or Atlanta. I have a few days to make my final decision. At this time I have no job prospects in either city, but I am torn between if I should go back to Colorado where the job prospects aren't that great or try my luck in Atlanta.

I was set on going to the East coast, but I am not so sure now. I am living in the mid-west currently about 7 hrs from Colorado and about 14 from Atlanta. My lease just ended and I am not going to renew it. I just don't know what direction I should go at this point. If you got this far, thanks for reading.
Your lease already ended but you still have a few days to make a final decision? It sounds like your best move is to stay where you are and keep working, making money and avoiding gaps in your resume. Better renew that lease

Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCackalackyDreamer View Post
I don't live in Colorado. Please reread my original post. In addition, is it okay to post asking for an honest opinion and not get beat up for it, because you didn't like what I had to say. You just proved part of number #4 (Rude people).
Honey, you made it very clear in your OP what your impression of Atlanta was. Right or wrong, why should anybody try to convince you otherwise? You've already made up your mind. Now move on.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 PM

I believe I will. Some really helpful people have posted, but 98% of the posters that have responded so far are negative. Thank you all for your input. It proves a point.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 PM

A real person here was looking for real and honest answers; however not to be had. Gotta get up and go to work tomorrow. Night, night!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta