Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:14 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times

Advertisements

i started thinking about was planning a walk going through all the civil rights spots and black historical areas in atlanta on MLK day, and i realized there isn't really a way to do it without walking in a lot of ugly concrete areas like parts of MLK dr., northside drive, the georgia dome, the gulch, and the south part of downtown.

what someone ought to come up with is a way to connect historic westside village to vine city, downtown, and sweet auburn. it could be the historic civil rights triangle, and it could be a multiple day tourist destination.

you'd have all sorts of spots to enrich the experience, including the herndon home, paschal's (which could be restored), the atlanta university center including the historic morris brown college campus, the new center for civil and human rights, the historic auburn avenue corridor including the daily world building, martin luther king's childhood home, the national MLK site, and hundreds of other major sites.

the only issue would be creating a place that is both a major attraction for tourists and a neighbourhood in which people live and work. it would be both a thriving part of modern atlanta and a lasting testament to the civil rights legacy of the city. what do you guys think?

edit: i think a good first thought would be an extension of the streetcar route to the area:

http://goo.gl/maps/Zx8kW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i started thinking about was planning a walk going through all the civil rights spots and black historical areas in atlanta on MLK day, and i realized there isn't really a way to do it without walking in a lot of ugly concrete areas like parts of MLK dr., northside drive, the georgia dome, the gulch, and the south part of downtown.

what someone ought to come up with is a way to connect historic westside village to vine city, downtown, and sweet auburn. it could be the historic civil rights triangle, and it could be a multiple day tourist destination.

you'd have all sorts of spots to enrich the experience, including the herndon home, paschal's (which could be restored), the atlanta university center including the historic morris brown college campus, the new center for civil and human rights, the historic auburn avenue corridor including the daily world building, martin luther king's childhood home, the national MLK site, and hundreds of other major sites.

the only issue would be creating a place that is both a major attraction for tourists and a neighbourhood in which people live and work. it would be both a thriving part of modern atlanta and a lasting testament to the civil rights legacy of the city. what do you guys think?

edit: i think a good first thought would be an extension of the streetcar route to the area:

http://goo.gl/maps/Zx8kW
MARTA kinda does connect them, but it does require some walking.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:04 PM

477 posts, read 593,849 times
Not that this deals with transit connections, but I've wondered what it would be like to have a Martin Luther King statue that was comparable size to the Statue of Liberty. We've discussed what kind of iconic structure would be like our St. Louis Arch or Space Needle, and I've thought for a long time that a colossus of MLK would be just the thing. That 30 foot statue in DC has had some harsh critics for good reason. I wouldn't know where to begin to know how to fund a 150 foot statue, the politics involved, or even if something like that can still be built, but it's fun to think about. Ok, I've trailed off for long enough now.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:42 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH82 View Post
Not that this deals with transit connections, but I've wondered what it would be like to have a Martin Luther King statue that was comparable size to the Statue of Liberty. We've discussed what kind of iconic structure would be like our St. Louis Arch or Space Needle, and I've thought for a long time that a colossus of MLK would be just the thing. That 30 foot statue in DC has had some harsh critics for good reason. I wouldn't know where to begin to know how to fund a 150 foot statue, the politics involved, or even if something like that can still be built, but it's fun to think about. Ok, I've trailed off for long enough now.
It's interesting that you mention an MLK statue - just yesterday or the day before Nathan Deal promised an MLK memorial at the State capital.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:01 PM

284 posts, read 590,435 times
Since Streets Atlanta will be in the West End next year, and with the opening of Mims Park, I think that will help draw more people further into the historic neighborhoods in addition to the traditional downtown attractions. The sidewalk improvements on Ralph David Abernathy include plans to incorporate murals documenting the history of early Atlanta (and identifying sites such as Whitehall Tavern) along with iconic leaders of the Civil Rights Era.

I agree there is so much more that can be incorporated beyond the "streetcar loop." The King home on Sunset, Pascal's, Shrine of the Black Madonna, Cascade UMC, Cascade Heights Village & West End, Westview Cemetery, Greenwood Cemetery, Utoy Cemetery, etc. Easy to get to downtown/Sweet Auburn via AUC/Castleberry.

My neighbors (including whites who chose not to be a part of "white flight") are living history and there's so much to learn Its a decent bike tour too, and the SW Connector Trail/Beltline will connect Centennial to SW ATL. Castleberry's first Friday art walk/club events add a great afterhours element too.

A friend who attended Spelman years ago told me part of student orientation was a driving tour of these very areas explaining not only the history from ATL's first beginnings, but also described the current day importance of the institutions and key figures who live there.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:22 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,024 times
I think its a great idea to tie these sites together. However, I don't think a streetcar line could be justified for this purpose. This is better suited for a tour company with a bus or a walking tour promoted by the city.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:25 PM

477 posts, read 593,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I think its a great idea to tie these sites together. However, I don't think a streetcar line could be justified for this purpose. This is better suited for a tour company with a bus or a walking tour promoted by the city.
I agree.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:14 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I agree as well. This is one of the reasons why many people in my area are pushing for more connectivity to the neighborhoods surrounding downtown Atlanta.

Though Atlanta has a lot of Civil Rights historical attractions, Dr. King is the biggest draw. I think that a link with the trolley would be a great idea to have it come over to Vine City in that there is movement being made to have Sunset Ave designated as a historic district. Dr. and Mrs. King lived on Sunset while married and the Pascal Center and the other hangouts of the Civil Rights icons in Vine City and the AU area would be a great tour for people.

I wish something could be done with the Pascal Center. When I first came here it was a dorm for CAU and Pascal's was still in its original location. A lot changes in a little bit of time....

We were given a walking Civil Rights tour of sorts during my college orientation in the area around CAU. I had been to the King Center before that and never knew that Dr. King lived in Vine City and that at that time (late 90s) Correta Scott King still lived there.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:37 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree as well. This is one of the reasons why many people in my area are pushing for more connectivity to the neighborhoods surrounding downtown Atlanta.

Though Atlanta has a lot of Civil Rights historical attractions, Dr. King is the biggest draw. I think that a link with the trolley would be a great idea to have it come over to Vine City in that there is movement being made to have Sunset Ave designated as a historic district. Dr. and Mrs. King lived on Sunset while married and the Pascal Center and the other hangouts of the Civil Rights icons in Vine City and the AU area would be a great tour for people.

I wish something could be done with the Pascal Center. When I first came here it was a dorm for CAU and Pascal's was still in its original location. A lot changes in a little bit of time....

We were given a walking Civil Rights tour of sorts during my college orientation in the area around CAU. I had been to the King Center before that and never knew that Dr. King lived in Vine City and that at that time (late 90s) Correta Scott King still lived there.
MLK III still lives in the house on sunset. i remember thinking when he spoke at the trayvon rally that he could've walked to the rally from his house!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Didn't Downtown Atlanta use to have an under-promoted Freedom Walk (somewhat modeled on Boston's Freedom Trail) that tried to link the Civil Rights sites and Civil Rights history? I remember a few signs (they were brown).

This would be the way to go. Like Boston's Freedom Trail--based on Revolutionary War sites, history, and events...Atlanta should implement a Freedom Walk based on Civil Rights sites, history, and event. This would give the "link" that we need.

And it should be done well--a la the Freedom Trail. No "half-assin'" with this.

Imagine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: