Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:52 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I'm surprised there wasn't a crime spree with all the cops being stuck.
thugs dont really like the cold....I mean criminal thug, not Richard Sherman thug. Clear up confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 10:10 PM

90 posts, read 217,405 times
The daily show killed with this story

Fair enough on the earthquake bad comparison. Maybe a massive spring flood would be something to compare it to.

I felt bad for the AWD cars like Subaru, they got stuck due to the **** poor planning of the fwd Vic's.
Seems to me but only a few cars could create a choke point and back up things. I wonder where ground zero ways?

As of 2100 hours the nati guard will start moving Vic's. Wtf? Why are so many Vic's still out there?
No fee, but again tax payer must pay in time.

_____
For the northern folk who are making fun, you are setting your self up for a heat wave this summer. Granted Chicago is no stranger to this. Come to think about it, chi town is no joke on extreme weather extremes.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Yes 2 inches can be a lot if you don't see it often. I think biggest mistake was to open everything and then close it down almost at the same time. They should have also treated major roads ahead.
Living in Toronto where its -20C below 0 right now and we've had several significant snow falls and an ice storm that knocked out power to more than 250,000 homes for more than a week right around Christmas, its just kinda funny that 2 inches of snow is all it took to cause so much chaos in Atlanta. I mean I know you guys don't see much snow and all, but still 2 inches?? :S

Old 01-30-2014, 11:02 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Living in Toronto where its -20C below 0 right now and we've had several significant snow falls and an ice storm that knocked out power to more than 250,000 homes for more than a week right around Christmas, its just kinda funny that 2 inches of snow is all it took to cause so much chaos in Atlanta. I mean I know you guys don't see much snow and all, but still 2 inches?? :S
I don't understand why 30C degrees in Toronto makes news there. It gets to 45C here in TX and we don't bat an eye.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
We have 10 snowplows. Period. And they only get used every two or three years, if that -- assuming they hadn't rusted out between uses. How many snow plows does Toronto have? How many de-icing machines? How many drivers actually TRAINED to run the plows and the de-icers? And the sand trucks?

This was basically snow that was driven on, flattened, and the remaining slush and wet streets turned into an ice skating rink. Toronto's metro area population is about the same as Atlanta's, but concentrated in an area about 1/3 the size of Atlanta's sprawl. Now, imagine everyone in Toronto hopping into their cars at the exact same time -- about 12 noon -- to drive probably 3 times the distance you have to drive to home from work. Your metro line is about the same size as ours -- but only serves an area 1/3 the size, and our ridership, as a result, is about 1/3 of yours.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
We have 10 snowplows. Period. And they only get used every two or three years, if that -- assuming they hadn't rusted out between uses. How many snow plows does Toronto have? How many de-icing machines? How many drivers actually TRAINED to run the plows and the de-icers? And the sand trucks?

This was basically snow that was driven on, flattened, and the remaining slush and wet streets turned into an ice skating rink. Toronto's metro area population is about the same as Atlanta's, but concentrated in an area about 1/3 the size of Atlanta's sprawl. Now, imagine everyone in Toronto hopping into their cars at the exact same time -- about 12 noon -- to drive probably 3 times the distance you have to drive to home from work. Your metro line is about the same size as ours -- but only serves an area 1/3 the size, and our ridership, as a result, is about 1/3 of yours.
Something else that struck me as so problematic was the sheer number of 18-wheeler's. Does Toronto have the semi-traffic through its core like Atlanta has on 75? The jackknifed trailers compounded the problem closing lane after lane....

Old 01-31-2014, 07:55 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Something else that struck me as so problematic was the sheer number of 18-wheeler's. Does Toronto have the semi-traffic through its core like Atlanta has on 75? The jackknifed trailers compounded the problem closing lane after lane....
They probably should have the 18 wheelers forced to go on 285 on the periphery and prevent truck traffic on I-75/85 downtown.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:07 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
They probably should have the 18 wheelers forced to go on 285 on the periphery and prevent truck traffic on I-75/85 downtown.
This is already the case. The big trucks are supposed to use 285 unless their destination is inside of the Perimeter (I-285).

Old 01-31-2014, 08:13 AM

26 posts, read 32,882 times
I think the city did a great job. Nobody died in the city limits, Marta was open, the airport was open the following day, etc

Old 01-31-2014, 08:15 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times
I was talking to someone born and raised here and he mentioned that the EXACT same scenario of 2014 happened in Atlanta in 1982. I went online to see if there was any info on it and found that there is a website dedicated to that day.

Snow Jam 82: Atlanta's 1982 snow storm that left thousands stranded across Georgia's capitol city and the Southeast U.S.!

cars stranded along Johnson Ferry Road in Marietta/East Cobb County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta