Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:52 AM

22 posts, read 22,756 times

Advertisements

I thought DC was bad but naw, not anymore.
Do you guys even own plows down there?

When it snows up here plows are all over city streets doing what
they gotta do. Schools and the Govt may or may not closed but everyone else goes to work.

You guys got punked by mother nature.

Last edited by DC to Mo' County; 01-30-2014 at 06:02 AM..

Old 01-30-2014, 05:58 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,030,993 times
Yes we have A plow...

Just Kidding. There are plow and spreaders, but since snow/ice tend to a once or twice a year event, we do not have the hundreds of plow/spreaders a Northern City would have.

The weather forecasters blew it, this was suppose to be a south of the city storm, and lite flurries in/north of the city. So everyone went to work/school etc. When it was found to be wrong, the school closed early, companies closed, Gov closed dumping 5 million people on to snow/ice road all at the same time.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,040,547 times
You must not live here. The snow wasn't the cause of the problem. Everyone leaving at 2PM and blocking the streets was the problem. There was zero snow or ice on the streets at 8AM and only an inch at lunch.

I used to live in Fairfax Co for many years. Snow plows can't do jack squat when the streets are bumper to bumper for 7 miles in every direction.

Perhaps you should concentrate on commenting about Montgomery County instead of Atlanta.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:12 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,562,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
You must not live here. The snow wasn't the cause of the problem. Everyone leaving at 2PM and blocking the streets was the problem. There was zero snow or ice on the streets at 8AM and only an inch at lunch.

I used to live in Fairfax Co for many years. Snow plows can't do jack squat when the streets are bumper to bumper for 7 miles in every direction.

Perhaps you should concentrate on commenting about Montgomery County instead of Atlanta.
Ahem, Loudon County is where the party was at!

Anyway, we understand there is a problem with snow removal here and don't need everyone jumping on the 'Atlanta is a little sissy town' bandwagon.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,237,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC to Mo' County View Post

they gotta do. Schools and the Govt may or may not closed but everyone else goes to work.

Before you start the civil war again, maybe some civility offered might help some less use to icy roads in the future. It's clearly evident that no Georgia politician is going to ask for more money. Especially during an election cycle. We all know that Reed and Deal will give good lip but, in reality, their hands are tied as no one is going to want to spend money on de-icing and removal equipment. By this Saturday (predicted to be in the low 60's by Saturday...go figure) it will all be forgotten and carwashes will be all the rage.

What can you do in the future to help PREVENT the abysmal traffic failures of Wednesday? My experience was to leave Town Lake at, or around, 6:30 with the hopes that most may have cleared the road, go East on Arnold Mill to 140 and in to Alpharetta in a few hours. I was lucky for the first 1/2 hour of that. I made it to River Ridge HS and was able to camp out there (thank you most kind and wonderful staff of River Ridge) for a few hours as others decided to play NASCAR without the necessary skills to survive. At about 8:30, I headed back to downtown Woodstock, East on 92, picked my way through the Los Angeles 2012 wreckage and was cruising East on 92 at about 25-40mph. No joke. Up, hwy 9, east on old Milton, traffic jam, turned around, went down Haynes bridge, over to Northpoint and down Kimball an into my driveway at, or around 10:45.....

How?

A few tips IF you have a front-wheel or 4-wheel drive auto. Most are front-wheel drive so let's go with that. Here's some tips.

1) Do NOT f'in stop. Those who think they will creep UP an icy hill at 2mph will only screw everyone behind them. It's icy. Tires don't tend to grip on ice...get it? you have to use the car's momentum and get some SPEED before you go up a hill. Cars in front of you? Not a problem if there is a lane. or curb area.

2) Do NOT ride in the same tracks that you do on dry pavement. Those are as slick as an ice hockey rink. Short of being Dorothy Hamill, you WON'T make it. What do you do Caleb? Simple, STRADLE THE ICE. Put your wheels left, or right, of the those same tired a$$ marks the last 1,000 cars have tried. keep your wheels on the snow pack or gutter and you will find traction more often than not. To stay in the icy ruts, usual tracks, will find you too on the side, walking for god knows how long, home.

3) PUMP THE BRAKES. By now, some probably realize that HOLDING the brakes creates a sort of dementia with you wondering how you are going to slow down and regain control. Listen skippy, the longer you HOLD the brakes the WORSE it is GOING to get. Capiche? PUMP THE DARN BRAKES!!!! LIGHTLY!!!! you will notice that the car tends to dip a bit with each tap...you will also notice that you are actually slowing down which if I am correct, is the original intent of said brakes???

4) KEEEEEEEP DISTANCE....it's your only savior if you have to go around someone. if you have to, bounce off a curb (glancing) as the snow will cushion your arrival. It's highly unlikely you will do damage so long as you are not at speed (25mph+). We were fortunate as everyone tended to head West...for those of us going East? A piece of cake. It go so bad for those going West, they started to use our side of the road....smart move. There wasn't enough traffic to worry about it......

5) BE AWARE....ice WILL form ON bridges AND underneath them!!!! Venturi effects and all....this morning you will see numerous cars in "the wall" underneath bridges....they are shadowed and even yesterday's sun could not help them.

6) DON'T BE A TIGHTWAD....buy chains/cables NEXT week. Why? You will need them, again, some year. Keep them handy like jumper cables. KNOW how to install them. It will make all the difference for those with rear-wheel drive and front-wheel drive alike. It's your best option. Bet you wish you had a set these last two days, huh?

7) IF you get stuck and stranded, do NOT run your car non-stop. Warm it up....SHUT it down. If your battery and starter are in good shape, you will only likely run 6-7 cycles during the night so you should be fine. Big caveat here. Make DARN sure you muffler's exhaust is NOT obstructed. If it is, carbon monoxide will build up in the cabin and kill you. I lost two friends nearly 25 years ago up north due to this. They were stranded half in a snow bank, left the car running, found the next day. Both dead. There was simply too much snow underneath the car and it backed the then leaded gas running Chrysler fumes into the cabin. Toast.

8) Do NOT panic if you slide. gently tap the brakes and hold them for no longer than 1 second with each pump. As you release your steering will come back slightly. With each tap you will usually gain more control.

9) DON'T be a hero. I witnessed some dipwad with a 1/2 ton 4X4 try to pull out a 15,000lb Cherokee county Box Ambulance/rescue vehicle out of ditch. Both were on ice. At the crest of a hill on Arnold Mill. Nice. Result? Said, yahoo who thought his 1/2 ton Chevy was a M-60 Patton Tank slid all over the road, back and forth back and forth to no avail. 5,000lbs does not pull 15,000 lbs out of ditch...on ice.....idiote. I would have been fine if said guy named Jared, huge belt buckle, 125lbs soaking wet, had wasted his time but, the REST of us were now on an icy incline, with no traction.....sooooooooo, in 15 degree weather, we had to back up 20 cars so we could get running starts up the hill to get over it. Next time Jared, know your vehicles limitations. Keep MOVING!!!!!!!! It's NOT all about you....

10) Confidence. Believe it or not, the same cars we drive down here are driven up north...in the exact same conditions, for months. Same tires too! And no, they don't salt every stinking road and despite the salts best efforts, there ARE icy patches to be found. Your tires, assuming they aren't slicks, will go through 98% of the elements nature throws at us. If you have front-wheel drive you should be in very, very good shape provided you, STAY OFF THE ICY tracks, KEEP moving, GIVE DISTANCE for manouevers, FILL YOUR GAS TANK prior to your icy adventures, GET CABLES FOR FUTURE, along with jumper cables, and if you can't get out early, STAY right where you are. I did and despite my adventures on Arnold Mill and 92, I was able to get home in 4 hours....with a 1 hour "layover" at River Ridge HS....in a 15 year old Camry......no traction control, AWD, 4-wheel....on a set of used Michellins....hello??? Is this thing on????

Case in point. I left EARLY this morning anticipating a nightmare in traffic...left the house at 6:30, drove down 400, across I-285 and into the office, 20 miles away.....in 30 minutes flat. Why? Because Atlanta, never to miss a day off, is sleeping...and thinks, at 9:30, things will be better....remember what happened two days ago??? Everyone thought, they could all leave together.....sooooooooo, now that everyone will "wait a couple of hours" (yeah, that thermometer might leap a whopping 5 degrees up to a balmy 10) and things will be all better....anticipation and planning prevent a myriad of f'ups. Just ask Reed and Deal. They know....now.......

Be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Leave early, pay attention, and don't be a part of the sheeple that sit in traffic for hours to move 10 feet with the thought that any minute, things will magically change. They won't. Governor Deal and Kasim Reed are NOT going to do anything for you as we are NOT willing to pay for it. You are on your own no matter who holds those posts. Prepare, and use some of these cheeky comments. Because THEY WORK.....

Good Luck.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 AM

22 posts, read 22,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

Even Montgomery county had it's streets taken care, main roads and all at least inside the beltway.
And don't be mad at the truth.

City proper DC has ATL best in the snow department.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:01 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,910,735 times
you're a bit late to the party as there are already a dozen threads on this

Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,643,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC to Mo' County View Post

...what are you, 12 y/o?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:21 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,132,604 times

Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,149,054 times
This isn't funny. You have, but a couple posts so maybe you should sit back read more before posting.

This was no joke. The roads were jammed and once they were - couldn't be treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta