Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 09:47 AM

78 posts, read 88,774 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am newly registered to the forum but have been a long quiet non registered looker of the forum for a while and decided to register now as I would love to get all of your opinions on my dilemma.

I moved to GA from Europe in mid 2012 b/c my job reallocated me and so far have been very happy. I did my research while in Europe where to move (a lot of answers to my questions answered thanks to this forum) and with the help of Promove found a nice area in Roswell, GA. I am about 2.5 miles off off 400's Holcomb's Bride going towards Alpharetta/Johns Creek so its the exit to the right off 400N Holcombs Bridge and am so far very happy with the nice and affluent neighborhoods around us. I was specifically told to stay away in Roswell left of Holcomb's Bridge and there are some "sketchy" places there.

I am now looking for a house with the help on NACA but cannot make up my mind on the area. I love the area we will which is literally like 200 feet from Alpharetta/Johns Creek but for the price of houses I am looking for, I will get a lot smaller and older house but like my commute right now as I work in Dunwoody and am exactly 9 miles from work.

From a previous post to help with my dilemma I am looking for the following:

1. Budget:houses around 150K but no more than 200K
2. I am looking for a house in a less urban area
3. I am one 13 month old and would like to be around a good school system
4. It is NOT important for me to be around public transport
5. Preferable Demographics: I want to be in a safe part of the Atlanta suburb is all I will say for this and this is one of my biggest concerns and care much of this and am looking to be as far from any unsafe or "ghetto" neighborhoods/cities as possible.

My dilemma is that I LOVE the types of houses you can buy in Cumming as well as the cheaper prop taxes but at the same time the drive is what sounds crazy but at the same time I would not mind driving more to know my family is growing up in a safe, quiet neighborhood with good school.

What do you guys think?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 11:08 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
The drive is absolutely crazy. For me, no home or property tax would make living in Tennessee... I mean Cumming (or Alpharetta for that matter) worth it.

I'm sure other can fill you on specific areas along 400.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 PM

14 posts, read 20,947 times
Im currently searching for houses too in almost the same area. I can tell you this, you will not find a single family detached home for $150k south of Old Milton right now anywhere close to 400.

A few have popped up over in East Cobb if you are willing to make that drive. I would think that would be a good area to raise a child as well.

The market has just picked up much quicker than I expected. Affordable houses dont seem to stay on the market for more than a week. I consulted two agents who along with my mortgage broker all said one thing; "Offer more than asking if you want it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta