Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:03 PM

116 posts, read 194,565 times

Advertisements

Looking for a home preferably not in a subdivision (definately no HOA home) 4 bedroom/2 bath about $100-150k. Nice yard, home aged 1990 or newer

Strongly considering northeast metro Atlanta, but open to other areas as long as schools are decent/good, low crime, and there is shopping no more than 10-15 miles away, lake or beach within an hour drive.

Job is not really a factor since my husband is an OTR trucker and I'm a stay at home mom.

So far Dacula has matched my criteria, but I'm looking into Loganville, Winder, Woodstock, Dahlonega, Douglasville, Acworth. I'd love to hear opinions on these areas or others that can help narrow our decision on where to move.

I have 3 girls, ages 9, 4 yrs and 12 weeks. My husband and i are about 30. Family fun is important. Any zoos in/near these areas? I know about the two large lakes and Six Flags.

I know I've made many similar posts, but I'm having difficulty narrowing it down and finding area that meet all criteria. I've never been to GA and my husband has only been there through passing. We're hoping to vacation in GA to feel out the towns we research and like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 12:04 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,776,034 times
Would probably need to know how much suburban vs. rural you want. Of the towns you list, Woodstock, Dacula, Acworth and Douglasville are closer in to the core and more suburbanized. Dahlonga is the furthest out and least suburban. Winder and Loganville fall in that in between place. Although I know there are areas with an Acworth, Douglasville and Woodstock address that would still feel somewhat rural. I know this side of Atlanta better tan those east, shopping would be no problem, but would go for Cobb or Cherokee County schools over Douglas. I know of no zoo other than the one in Grant Park in Atlanta.

Hope this helps, will let someone else speak on the northeastern burbs.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:26 AM

116 posts, read 194,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Would probably need to know how much suburban vs. rural you want. Of the towns you list, Woodstock, Dacula, Acworth and Douglasville are closer in to the core and more suburbanized. Dahlonga is the furthest out and least suburban. Winder and Loganville fall in that in between place. Although I know there are areas with an Acworth, Douglasville and Woodstock address that would still feel somewhat rural. I know this side of Atlanta better tan those east, shopping would be no problem, but would go for Cobb or Cherokee County schools over Douglas. I know of no zoo other than the one in Grant Park in Atlanta.

Hope this helps, will let someone else speak on the northeastern burbs.
Well we'd like some privacy to where the houses aren't so close together. Enough land would be nice for my husband to be able to park his semi-truck on the weekend (not a must have but would be convenient for him) as well as the kids to run around. But, I'd still like to be within 5-10 miles for grocery store and 10-15 miles for other retail shopping (Target/Walmart, Home Depot, etc).

Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,544,543 times
Check in on Braselton and Hoschton; easy access to I-85, and not too far removed from suburban amenities.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,776,034 times
Would look at areas near Cartersville and Canton for the same reason as above... near freeways for easy access, both have all the basic retail you mention but have rural areas nearby.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:36 AM

113 posts, read 341,629 times
Also, look into Dallas Ga. It's close to shopping at Cobb parkway and near Kennesaw.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:47 PM

194 posts, read 315,427 times
Check out Dawsonville. It has everything you listed above and is even close to Lake Lanier and Chestatee Zoo. Also close to N. Ga mountains and easy access to Ga 400 and only an hour from metro Atl. Shopping is great at N Ga. outlets and Dahlonega is only 20 min away. Check it out, I think it fits the bill for you.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,699,997 times
If you want southside look at Peachtree City, Eagles Landing and Lake Spivey.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:25 PM

744 posts, read 2,469,908 times
You may want to look at Newnan and Senoia both in Coweta county on the southwest side of Atlanta .

Old 02-07-2014, 07:17 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,199,127 times
Fayette county sounds perfect for you. Outside of city limits (with some exceptions) lots are required to be 5+ acres. Its upscale rural/suburban with quick, relatively traffic free access to Atlanta. Look at south Fayette County and in the north around Sandy Creek Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta