Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times

Advertisements

See post #54 and some responses, or one can read the whole thread! What do you guys think, in wake of the infamous ice storm?

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...uburbia-6.html

Old 01-31-2014, 08:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
I'm not sure I agree with the premise that suburbia is dying, though I do think it is being redefined in some ways. I do, however somewhat agree with post 57:

Quote:

People in Atlanta must be really stupid. Because if ever there was a city
that badly needed a mass public transit system, it's Atlanta. People over there
like to think of Atlanta as a major city but in reality it's second tier and it
won't be a major until they have a viable public transit system.
I do think Atlanta is sorely in need of adequate public transportation. But I don't see it happening within 50 years.

In NYC and in Chicago even in the burbs and outlying areas are somewhat accessible via public transit. Not as familiar with NYC but Chicago has an excellent train system that I do feel would be beneficial for Atlanta to look at repeating here. It would be easier to build since the density found in Chicago is not in Atlanta where there are large swaths of land. Center lanes could be made on all the freeways here and train stations could be built to mirror 75, 85, 20, and even 285 so that people would be able to get to the actual places they need to go.

I live near 3 Marta stations and even though I do like MARTA, I feel it is an elementary sort of transit authority, like it is at the kindergarten level and needs to add additional grades instead of just focusing on small areas. I do feel the state would have to make it mandatory and make the counties who are hesitant, participate. Cobb and Gwinnet should be the primary targets, as well as southern counties like Clayton and Henry.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
For the umpteenth time...most of the transit and commuter rail in NY and Chicago (examples you cited) were built in the late 19th or early 20th centuries (and by private companies), and the suburbs grew up around them, not vice versa.

You cannot easily or reasonably expect to replicate that by retrofitting the vast area of metro Atlanta with similar services. On top of that is the oft discussed difference in where Atlanta commuters go versus those other two cities. The burbs to city center dynamic doesn't exist in Atlanta in anywhere near the same way it does in NY or Chicago.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:11 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,914,013 times
Plus that poster sounds silly because that would make LA a second tier city because its very car dependent like its other sunbelt peers

Old 02-01-2014, 04:38 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,162,036 times
I've got a lot of thoughts on this, but I'll wait and see how this thread goes first.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
I always thought people in the suburbs hate mass transit because they dislike being near other race and ethnic folks. The reason some people like in the suburbs is to get away from inner city multicultural hubs and they rather drive to work.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:27 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,042,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I always thought people in the suburbs hate mass transit because they dislike being near other race and ethnic folks. The reason some people like in the suburbs is to get away from inner city multicultural hubs and they rather drive to work.
It's not that they hate black people, but they don't want to mix with lesser income levels any more than they have to. The northern suburbs of Atlanta have a pretty healthy black population.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm not sure if you're speaking about Atlanta in particular or in general, but it's a thing of the past to automatically equate suburbia with a lily White population. Minorities have been settling in the suburbs for the better part of of the past three or four decades now. Of course you have suburbs that tend to be overwhelmingly White or minority, but that's just not a hard-and-fast rule anymore. In terms of diversity levels, I'd put Gwinnett County up against just about any other majority-minority suburban county in the country.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,396,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It's not that they hate black people, but they don't want to mix with lesser income levels any more than they have to. The northern suburbs of Atlanta have a pretty healthy black population.
Oh my goodness. That is so untrue. Ever spent time in the burbs? Come in out here and experience it. I'm sure though you'll day no because you hate the burbs.

Joe - I replied to the wrong poster. Apologies.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:26 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,042,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Oh my goodness. That is so untrue. Ever spent time in the burbs? Come in out here and experience it. I'm sure though you'll day no because you hate the burbs.

Joe - I replied to the wrong poster. Apologies.
Okay, I was confused for second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta