Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,496,079 times

Advertisements

Just want to hear why and what is the biggest adjustment? Do you just like Atlanta and love or really miss Seattle? Otherelor than being popular places to relocate and having Winter weather that's similar to some point, the 2 seem totally different from each ot

her. A few black people I have met have told me that even though it's more.likely to meet other black professionals, in Atlanta, Seattle is a lot less racially intense than Atlanta.

Excuse the paragraph and word break. Bad Cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:25 PM

175 posts, read 372,115 times
It depends on what you're looking for. My husband was born and raised in Seattle and moved South when he was 21. Speaking for him but I think it has been nothing but positive. His parents still live up there and want to move down here every time they visit. We are all fairly conservative and religious which is the exact opposite of the majority of Seattle so that's a big draw. The weather is better down here too.

I will say that nothing is more beautiful than Seattle in the summertime though. It is gorgeous! Anyway, I guess it depends on what you are looking for but he has been very happy.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahope1980 View Post
It depends on what you're looking for. My husband was born and raised in Seattle and moved South when he was 21. Speaking for him but I think it has been nothing but positive. His parents still live up there and want to move down here every time they visit. We are all fairly conservative and religious which is the exact opposite of the majority of Seattle so that's a big draw. The weather is better down here too.

I will say that nothing is more beautiful than Seattle in the summertime though. It is gorgeous! Anyway, I guess it depends on what you are looking for but he has been very happy.
The weather is better? Hhm, actually, Atlanta gets more rain, more days above 90 and more days below 32. However, Atlanta, gets less snow.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,536 times
My friend is from Seattle and currently lives in Atlanta. Her major adjustments were being away from home and the lifestyle difference between Atlanta and Seattle. She told me the women in Seattle generally do not dress up. They just wear anything when they go out. It's not like that in Atlanta. Generally women dress up just to go out anywhere in Atlanta. She felt out of place at first here but she adjusted. She also said in Seattle the only place that you can travel too within driving distance is Vancouver and Portland but here you have more options. As far as being a black person she said there is no comparison. She said a lot of major concerts skip Seattle and generally Atlanta has a lot more entertainment than Seattle.

Weather wise, generally in Seattle it drizzles all the time for the most part about 9 months out of the year, it is always cloudy and it gets dark early. Atlanta has 4 seasons. The rainy season in Atlanta is generally in the summer and winter. Atlanta statistically gets more rain than Seattle because the rain comes down HARDER in Atlanta verses the drizzling rain in Seattle. An example would be if you take an average storm in Atlanta might get 1 inch of rain in 3 hours. It will probably take Seattle several days of rain to get to 1 inch of rain and generally once the rain is gone the sun comes back out.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,807,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Atlanta gets more rain.
Atlanta gets more rail in inches, but less rainy days. When the rain comes it is heavier / almost tropical storm systems. So Atlanta gets more sun too.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:52 AM

175 posts, read 372,115 times
Exactly. The weather is better here b/c in Seattle it rains almost every day for nine months but it's a light drizzle. It may rain more here but it's downpours and there are way more sunny days down here. It's definitely warmer in the summer but I would take that over a constant drizzle any day. To each their own though for sure.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderrain View Post
My friend is from Seattle and currently lives in Atlanta. Her major adjustments were being away from home and the lifestyle difference between Atlanta and Seattle. She told me the women in Seattle generally do not dress up. They just wear anything when they go out. It's not like that in Atlanta. Generally women dress up just to go out anywhere in Atlanta. She felt out of place at first here but she adjusted. She also said in Seattle the only place that you can travel too within driving distance is Vancouver and Portland but here you have more options. As far as being a black person she said there is no comparison. She said a lot of major concerts skip Seattle and generally Atlanta has a lot more entertainment than Seattle.

Weather wise, generally in Seattle it drizzles all the time for the most part about 9 months out of the year, it is always cloudy and it gets dark early. Atlanta has 4 seasons. The rainy season in Atlanta is generally in the summer and winter. Atlanta statistically gets more rain than Seattle because the rain comes down HARDER in Atlanta verses the drizzling rain in Seattle. An example would be if you take an average storm in Atlanta might get 1 inch of rain in 3 hours. It will probably take Seattle several days of rain to get to 1 inch of rain and generally once the rain is gone the sun comes back out.
Options for entertainment geared towards blacksi is not dead in Seattle. But except for maybe Chicago and NYC no place is better than Atlanta for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: