Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 6,614 times

Advertisements

I just landed a job near Cumberland mall. I am trying to relocate, but quickly learned that a 650 budget for an apartment doesn't exactly get me a safe one! I'm currently looking to move to Kennesaw, but am curious of the commute. Does anyone have any insight on a Chastain/Barrett to Cumberland mall commute? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 04:32 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscaitlins View Post
I just landed a job near Cumberland mall. I am trying to relocate, but quickly learned that a 650 budget for an apartment doesn't exactly get me a safe one! I'm currently looking to move to Kennesaw, but am curious of the commute. Does anyone have any insight on a Chastain/Barrett to Cumberland mall commute? Thanks so much!
A one-way rush hour commute between the Town Center Mall area (near I-75/I-575 and Barrett Parkway in Kennesaw/Marietta) and the Cumberland Mall area will range from roughly between 20-25 minutes on very-good days to 45 minutes or more on really bad days, depending on traffic conditions on any given day.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:39 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,994,643 times
The traffic can be a little bad on 75N on Friday afternoons, but you don't have terribly far to go and, considering budget et al, Kennesaw seems like a sensible choice for you.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
The commute from Kennesaw is horrible during rush hour. You don't have to move all the way out there to find a safe place, and the area really isn't any safer than the area around Cumberland Mall or Cobb's Platinum Triangle as it's called.

Look on Akers Mill, Cumberland Pkwy, Cumberland Blvd, that street next to the clock tower on 41 (sorry can't think of the name of it lol but there's only one complex and it still has a security guard for entry at the gate), and Atlanta Road near Paces Ferry.

I just relocated to Midtown from a subdivision in Kennesaw that is off Kennesaw Due West which is one street light up 41 from Chastain/McCollum. My commute is only to Marietta and still it takes less time now than it did from Kennesaw.

I felt buying there without research about even things as simple as the benefits of a reverse commute was such a mistake that I'm renting now to truly see if I like the area first. Anyway before this move, I looked at almost every complex between Barrett and West Paces before deciding I'd just rather move to Midtown to be near the things I liked. However, during that search, I did find many affordable and safe places around Cumberland Mall. Make no mistake, some of them are a definite "no go" but most are fine.

Also, keep in mind that the stadium is going to be built just on the other side of 285 from Cumberland Mall so traffic to the area will get worse and housing likely more expensive so you may not have time to have a do-over like I did.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
The traffic can be a little bad on 75N on Friday afternoons, but you don't have terribly far to go and, considering budget et al, Kennesaw seems like a sensible choice for you.
It's not often I feel the urge to dispute what another poster says, but are you serious? Friday afternoon on 75N is far from a little bad and really isn't all that different from morning or afternoon any other day of the week. The gridlock Friday evening just happens to get started a little earlier. Although my commute is typically to Marietta, I do have to drive all over. The only traffic I have encountered worse than Cobb is in Gwinnett.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:42 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Kennesaw (Chastain/Barrett) to the Cumberland Mall Area is a good, decent commute.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Kennesaw (Chastain/Barrett) to the Cumberland Mall Area is a good, decent commute.
I cannot understand why you'd say this. I was mislead when I relocated here. It's fine as long as it is not during rush hour. Do you live in Kennesaw? Have you tested that theory during the rush hours?

Old 02-16-2014, 07:07 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I cannot understand why you'd say this. I was mislead when I relocated here. It's fine as long as it is not during rush hour. Do you live in Kennesaw? Have you tested that theory during the rush hours?

Miss ElleKaye:

You are barking up the wrong tree if you're going to try and challenge me on Cobb County living.

First lesson for you --> Notice I said "good, decent"...not great.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:13 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
I agree, and I live in the area. I would probably take Cobb Pkwy over I-75, and typically the traffic isn't too bad.

Now...if you expect a wide open ride at 70 mph in rush hour, you'll be disappointed, but the ride is pretty good most days.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Miss ElleKaye:

You are barking up the wrong tree if you're going to try and challenge me on Cobb County living.

First lesson for you --> Notice I said "good, decent"...not great.
Given her budget, safety concerns, and commute to the Cumberland Mall area, do you really think that Kennesaw should be her first choice? That's what people need to hear when they are relocating to an unfamiliar area and what I wish I had been told.

I found out it in college that I could do a pretty good, decent job of controlling the steering wheel with my foot but I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm not trying to get into some whole grasshopper first lesson thing with you, but I think she deserves the best recommendations for her situation and not just a confirmation that she could do worse. If you do not agree with that, then we will not get on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta