Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 AM

91 posts, read 140,504 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what Peachtree City feels like for those living there. Does it feel like a suburb of Atlanta? Or, is it more like a small, independent town? Are those that live there 'born and bred', or does it attract newcomers to the state? We lived in Valparaiso, IN for a while and we were about an hour from downtown Chicago. It was far enough away from other suburbs that you did feel quite isolated. The mall was 20+mins away in the town over and Valpo felt a little too small-town. I like suburbs with access to the city so am just trying to see how PTC would fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,254,151 times
I didn't grow up there, but lived 10 minutes outside of it in a rural area. PTC is referred to as a bubble. There are literally bumper stickers that say something like "Loving life in the Bubble". It is fairly self contained. It doesn't feel like a suburb like most places around the metro do.

Short answer, small town with a ton of amenities and most of the shopping you will want.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:07 PM

541 posts, read 1,147,354 times
Definitely new-comers. I've lived in area off/on since 2003 and have met only a handful of people who were raised here. Some people have lived here for 20 years but they were not born/bred here.

It's kind of hard to describe. You do feel remote from Atlanta, but not isolated. At least, I don't. My family/friends live all over the metro so maybe I'm just used to traveling into town that it seems normal to me. I can be in downtown in 25-30 minutes. I live in central PTC, the people who live south side, have another 15-20 minute drive to downtown Atlanta. I think part of the reason it seems so out on its own is there is not much development from the interstate to PTC.

No one lives in PTC for the night life, cultural, fine dining options. Most live here cause we have excellent school system, virtually no traffic vs the Northside and very outdoorsy lifestyle. Oh, and the golf carts and paths. It's very easy to take a walk, ride your bike, etc on our extensive path system.

And tikkigod it's "Sweet life in the bubble."

Old 02-19-2014, 06:21 PM

16,731 posts, read 29,624,969 times
Definitely suburb.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM

880 posts, read 2,866,960 times
Exurban. Not much between it and the city. No actual downtown so no real "town" feel to it. Mostly just shopping centers and planned neighborhoods.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,254,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Exurban. Not much between it and the city. No actual downtown so no real "town" feel to it. Mostly just shopping centers and planned neighborhoods.
It very much has a community feel to it. People are out and about with their neighbors frequently. The city is built on being outdoors and the ability to stay within your "village" for all your basic needs. I can't think of a city that is better designed to promoted the idea of community.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM

813 posts, read 1,135,779 times
60 year old retired former NY'r (living in Peru) 30 year old Peruvian wife and two young children are considering this area for the schools and lifestyle as well, we are most definitely secular and are wondering if we will fit in?

Old 02-22-2014, 06:51 PM

11 posts, read 14,299 times
I've lived in Peachtree City for 10 years, we moved from the north side of Atlanta for the schools. I agree with many of the above comments, PTC has a strong sense of community but does not really have a downtown area so it doesn't have a traditional small town feel. It is organized into 5 villages of neighborhoods that are designed to have commercial centers (grocery centers, restaurants) at their centers, allowing access via golf cart. The city places a strong emphasis on its land use plan which was designed to maintain greenspace and support an inter network of golf cart paths.

It is a great place to raise kids - the schools are strong, it is a safe environment, and neighborhoods are interconnected via the paths, so kids can safely and easily get to other neighborhoods on their bikes or by golf cart via the paths. That is generally not possible anywhere else in Atlanta.

It is also a great place to retire. There is a strong senior community, it's especially great for golf.

But for those in the stages of life post-graduation and pre-kids, there's really not much at all to do. And for the rest of us, if we desire upscale shopping, or upscale anything for that matter, we have to make the drive to the north side of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: