U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 10:40 AM

23,728 posts, read 19,469,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Those folks up in Sandy springs run a pretty tight ship.
So tight, they'll lose Google Fiber. The benefits far exceed the cost.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 12:04 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,089,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamKeeper View Post
After reading this article it sounds like Sandy Springs is going to blow this opportunity. They're already whining about the cost of providing the information Google needs and think of themselves as too high and mighty to bend their rules to some of Google's needs. They'll pay a million dollars for some small, crappy piece of property off of Roswell Rd so they can build this ridiculous town center, but they can't spend $50k to bring something to the community that would actually be useful. What a bunch of fools...
Did they build it yet, and if so, where is it?

I like most of Sandy Springs, but I had to find a building in downtown Sandy Springs and before I knew it, i was in Roswell. I honestly did not know that area off Hammond near the Lowes and Whole Foods was considered downtown Sandy Springs.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post

I like most of Sandy Springs, but I had to find a building in downtown Sandy Springs and before I knew it, i was in Roswell. I honestly did not know that area off Hammond near the Lowes and Whole Foods was considered downtown Sandy Springs.
There is no downtown sandy springs.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is no downtown sandy springs.
Apparently, they think they do: Northside Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Obviously, I didn't think so since I had to turn back shortly after crossing the river while looking for it. Doesn't mean that apparently some people don't think the area above is downtown Sandy Springs or I would not have been looking for it in the first place because it would not have been described as such.

Again, I like parts of Sandy Springs, but it would never have occurred to me that the area was considered downtown.

I was mainly curious where the town center mentioned in the other post was located or to be located but was mentioning that I could have missed it since I missed what is called downtown Sandy Springs by some.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Apparently, they think they do: Northside Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Obviously, I didn't think so since I had to turn back shortly after crossing the river while looking for it. Doesn't mean that apparently some people don't think the area above is downtown Sandy Springs or I would not have been looking for it in the first place because it would not have been described as such.

Again, I like parts of Sandy Springs, but it would never have occurred to me that the area was considered downtown.

I was mainly curious where the town center mentioned in the other post was located or to be located but was mentioning that I could have missed it since I missed what is called downtown Sandy Springs by some.
They are trying to create a downtown development, but its not a traditional downtown that grew organically.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:15 PM

197 posts, read 464,299 times
Quote:

No, they haven't built the city center yet. They are still acquiring property around the area to do so. This is what I was referring to about the $1 million they just spent:

City to pay $1 million for photo studio - Reporter Newspapers

They paid $1 million for this little piece of property just so they can extend a road through it so they can build their precious city center. They've been buying up land like this all over that area and spending money like it grows on trees. You can see the plans here: Sandy Springs City Center | Developing the Sandy Springs Downtown Area

This is what angers me so much, they can spend millions like this and not even bat an eye, but they can't spend $50k and temporarily alter their permitting process so that Sandy Springs can get this awesome service? Most other cities around the country would probably pay Google to just be put on the list for consideration. Sandy Springs is actually on that list and the foolish "leaders" are blowing it. I don't think these morons have a clue how much value Google Fiber would bring to this community.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
No, they haven't built the city center yet. They are still acquiring property around the area to do so. This is what I was referring to about the $1 million they just spent:

City to pay $1 million for photo studio - Reporter Newspapers

They paid $1 million for this little piece of property just so they can extend a road through it so they can build their precious city center. They've been buying up land like this all over that area and spending money like it grows on trees. You can see the plans here: Sandy Springs City Center | Developing the Sandy Springs Downtown Area

This is what angers me so much, they can spend millions like this and not even bat an eye, but they can't spend $50k and temporarily alter their permitting process so that Sandy Springs can get this awesome service? Most other cities around the country would probably pay Google to just be put on the list for consideration. Sandy Springs is actually on that list and the foolish "leaders" are blowing it. I don't think these morons have a clue how much value Google Fiber would bring to this community.
Oh ok, so that's where it will be.

I've seen that studio near the Phidippides on Sandy Springs Circle. I notice they have also demolished that old Target across the street but haven't paid attention to whether the work goes all the way to Mt. Vernon. I guess they needed the studio land to be able to connect to Heritage and City Walk.

All that being said, I agree; I'm sure they can cough up $50K for Google.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:05 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,756,134 times
Quote:
After reading this article it sounds like Sandy Springs is going to blow this opportunity. They're already whining about the cost of providing the information Google needs and think of themselves as too high and mighty to bend their rules to some of Google's needs. They'll pay a million dollars for some small, crappy piece of property off of Roswell Rd so they can build this ridiculous town center, but they can't spend $50k to bring something to the community that would actually be useful. What a bunch of fools...
That article is so full of the writer's personal opinion and factually incorrect information it made my brain hurt to read it. The proposition that existing providers could provide gigabit ethernet if anyone wanted it is mind-blowing. One has to completely ignore the burst of attention the announcement received, as well as the fact that Comcast, the dominant cable provider in the area, charges $400 per month for half the speed of Google Fiber for its own fiber service in the limited areas it even serves.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:24 PM

197 posts, read 464,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
That article is so full of the writer's personal opinion and factually incorrect information it made my brain hurt to read it. The proposition that existing providers could provide gigabit ethernet if anyone wanted it is mind-blowing. One has to completely ignore the burst of attention the announcement received, as well as the fact that Comcast, the dominant cable provider in the area, charges $400 per month for half the speed of Google Fiber for its own fiber service in the limited areas it even serves.
Yeah I agree that the article is full of incorrect info. But the way I read the article is sounds like some of what the author is saying is coming from Sandy Springs "Officials". It's Sandy Springs that is saying that other providers can provide gigabit access for "significantly less cost".

That's why I am calling them morons because they obviously don't have a clue as to what they're talking about. It sounds to me like Sandy Springs has decided they don't want to spend the $50k to get this service so this report they came up with is just a laundry list of excuses and lies as to why they shouldn't pursue Google Fiber. Either that or the Comcast lobbyists have already paid off these "Officials" so that they will sabotage Sandy Springs getting Google Fiber. That actually wouldn't surprise me one bit because Google Fiber would destroy Comcast.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:46 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,756,134 times
Quote:
That's why I am calling them morons because they obviously don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.
Oh I agree completely... I just couldn't believe how dumb the article was. I'd really like to know more about this document referenced, too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta