Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 03:35 PM

23 posts, read 85,150 times

Advertisements

We are a mixed race family, both of us are minorities. My company may transfer me to Atlanta. We are both working professionals in technology and health-care respectively. I find Georgia and Atlanta on one hand appealing (nicer weather, large metro area, major airport, Georgia Tech, etc.) but on the other hand, I am feeling concerned about racial feelings in Atlanta and Georgia. Would I get followed by a cop while driving in my own neighborhood? Would grocery store clerks be sour at me just because of my looks? Would people be just nasty because I look different from them? Would our kid be shunned in school? I know these are random questions but having following news out of Atlanta, such as Confederate vanity plates and sites such as, Most Racist States In the U.S. - Top Ten List - TheTopTens.com, I am just worried.

Any opinions?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 04:02 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
Atlanta is a very progressive city, you won't find any racism here. You might get some looks but that would happen anywhere in America.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:08 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
I mean no disrespect but the link you provided was hardly comprised of empirical data. Racism exists everywhere and not just in the US. I highly doubt that you will be pulled over by the police in Atlanta just because you are a mixed raced family.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:31 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times
While I don't think you'll find any less racism than anywhere else, I also don't think you'll find any more. It is wrong to think there won't be any racism, that is the sad nature of our society, but Atlanta is no worse overall on the issue than anywhere else. Most of the racism here is broadly directed and seen in attitudes toward areas, or political policies (such as transit), but rarely directed at individuals.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw2005 View Post
We are a mixed race family, both of us are minorities. My company may transfer me to Atlanta. We are both working professionals in technology and health-care respectively. I find Georgia and Atlanta on one hand appealing (nicer weather, large metro area, major airport, Georgia Tech, etc.) but on the other hand, I am feeling concerned about racial feelings in Atlanta and Georgia. Would I get followed by a cop while driving in my own neighborhood? Would grocery store clerks be sour at me just because of my looks? Would people be just nasty because I look different from them? Would our kid be shunned in school? I know these are random questions but having following news out of Atlanta, such as Confederate vanity plates and sites such as, Most Racist States In the U.S. - Top Ten List - TheTopTens.com, I am just worried.

Any opinions?

Thanks.
A personal question, if you don't mind answering it--What races? You might find it easier if you move to parts of town of similar races. Here's a map that can help you plan that, but be advised that it is not precise at the street level:

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:22 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,932 times
To say that you won't ever encounter racism here isn't true, as none of us have no way of knowing that. But as MattCW said, it's no more racist here than anywhere else. There's always a possibility that someone somewhere will make a racist comment.

I'm black and I've been called a n****r (a dumb n****r to be exact) and have experienced other racial incidents in Atlanta, but I've also been called a n****r in the suburbs of my hometown of Chicago. One of my black female friends who lives in the DC area told me a couple of days ago that while at the gym, she witnessed another black woman get called a n****r by a white man because he felt she was taking too long on the equipment. As a black person in America, I've just come to expect to racism and discrimination no matter where I am in this country.

With that being said, in your day-to-day goings, you won't have to worry about people bothering you and your family in Atlanta anymore than anyplace else.

As toll_booth pointed out, your ethnic make-ups can help those on the forum tell you the better areas in the metro to live. If you are a black male, it's a possibility you could encounter negative comments from black women. But that could happen anywhere. I'm a black female who dates interracially and the racism I've encountered in Atlanta being in such a pairing has been public verbal hostility from apparently vagrant black men. Again, that could happen anywhere.

Still, there are lots of interracial couples here and they live just fine. For the most part you will encounter tolerance. It's not like you have to worry about folks harassing you on a daily basis or burning crosses on your lawn. You don't need to be fearful of the move because you are in an IR marriage.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 02-21-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 11:13 PM

23 posts, read 31,274 times
There is not any reason why you and your family can't live here vs. anywhere else.

Racism is a thing and it's understandable that it's a concern, but Atlanta truly is a tiny blue bubble in a state of red. And even the surrounding communities are purple. It's actually a progressive area and it's getting better all the time, despite what the state is doing. There are certainly places to avoid, but not only because they're infused with racists, but also backwards thinking and they're also boring and ugly places.

This city has a lot to offer to so many people and I hope the stereotype doesn't turn your family off. Great schools, great communities, great opportunities and great people abound. I promise.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:05 AM

23 posts, read 85,150 times
I appreciate the information. Our ethnic make up is african-american and asian indian. What suburbs would you recommend that are safe for a family with a kid, good schools and housing within $400-500K. A friend had recommended Alpharetta. Work would be slightly north of the city and CDC. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2014, 05:24 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
I have to ask a question -- the partner who is Asian Indian, does he/she currently experience problems within his/her own community? That to me might be a bigger worry...

I rarely see Asian Indians here that aren't married to other Asian Indians. To me, it doesn't seem like a very diverse community in that matter.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:24 AM

31 posts, read 38,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vw2005 View Post
I appreciate the information. Our ethnic make up is african-american and asian indian. What suburbs would you recommend that are safe for a family with a kid, good schools and housing within $400-500K. A friend had recommended Alpharetta. Work would be slightly north of the city and CDC. Thanks!
If you will be working for the CDC I would recommended looking for the Neighborhoods close to the CDC especially the Lakeside highschool cluster in North East Atlanta, Deklab County. Dekalb County is 60% minorities (other than while or black) so it's unlikely that you will feel out of place. The commute from Alpharetta to the CDC can be long so it's something to keep in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta