Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:44 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,575,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
Where in Atlanta have you eaten?Atlanta is a world-class food city. Second only to New Orleans in the south.

I've been to King + Duke several times, each time it was fantastic. They cook up some amazing dishes and has a very upscale vibe in the dining room. We do brunch at General Muir quite frequently. I've done Gunshow once. Gunshow, while excellent, and a innovative concept (if you haven't been to Hong Kong for dim sum), was lacking a little.

Out of those, I enjoy General Muir the most. It's classy, but approachable. A deviation from the standard farm-to-table, most other Atlanta restaurants have on their menu these days.

As to the person who is judging the article based on the candied lamb belly, quite the open mind you have there.
Really? I guess Chick-Fil-A qualifies as "world class" then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:48 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,018,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

This is one of those moment's when you can't find anything(proof, evidence) to substantiate your thinking so you have to nitpick in order to justify your narrow minded perspective.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,825,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
If you think Atlanta has bad tasting food then you need to start eating at places that are a few steps above Applebee's, Ippolito's and Waffle House.

Atlanta has some of the best restaurants and chefs in the country. But you have to be willing to spend a bit of money and go places you wouldn't otherwise consider if you want to experience it.

Gunshow has been on my list of places to try since before it opened. I still haven't made it down there. I've eaten at Gillespie's previous restaurant several times and enjoyed it immensely each time.

I don't really care for chains. That's not the problem. I'm not sure if Ippolito's could actually be considered a chain but it is far from what I'd consider tasty Italian food.

I really never was a fan of Mexican or even Indian food until I moved here but everything was so bland to me that I had to venture outside my comfort zone to at all please my taste buds. I'm not suggesting there are no good restaurants in Atlanta, but as a general rule the food is not that good in most. I went almost a year without cooking a single meal (wouldn't recommend it - those were some hard gym days) so it's not for lack of trying different places. I am saying that the food here as a whole is not really all that good.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:34 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,729,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Ugh. I hate even trying to respond. Have you ever eaten at Local 3, or No. 246, or Table and Main, or the Kimball House? That's just a sample of my personal favorites. No one ever qualified world class with <$10 mechanized sammich making.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 AM

8,487 posts, read 15,014,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I don't really care for chains. That's not the problem. I'm not sure if Ippolito's could actually be considered a chain but it is far from what I'd consider tasty Italian food.
Ippolito's is a local chain and I would not even bring it up in a serious discussion about Atlanta's food scene.

My three favorite in the city for that cuisine would be Alfredo's (for more "traditional" Italian-American), La Tavola (for Antipasti), Antico Pizza Napoletana (for, uh, Pizza), and Gio's Chicken Amalfitano (for Southern Italian home-style dishes).

Quote:
I really never was a fan of Mexican or even Indian food until I moved here but everything was so bland to me that I had to venture outside my comfort zone to at all please my taste buds. I'm not suggesting there are no good restaurants in Atlanta, but as a general rule the food is not that good in most. I went almost a year without cooking a single meal (wouldn't recommend it - those were some hard gym days) so it's not for lack of trying different places. I am saying that the food here as a whole is not really all that good.
I disagree with you in the most adamant way possible. The food scene in this city is one of the top in the country and we're at the leading pack of several movements including farm-to-table, where there are only a couple cities who can match us.

Let me know what kind of food you are into though. I can suggest several restaurants in this town that would change your mind...and probably make you cry with how awesome they are.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 AM

8,487 posts, read 15,014,371 times
Quote:
If you think Atlanta has bad tasting food then you need to start eating at places that are a few steps above Applebee's, Ippolito's and Waffle House.

Atlanta has some of the best restaurants and chefs in the country. But you have to be willing to spend a bit of money and go places you wouldn't otherwise consider if you want to experience it.
Totally 100% agree. The only point I would make that while there is a premium attached to enjoying the high end food scene (which is true in every city, though in my experience we're on the lower end of that scale), it is far more accessible as an every day person to experience. In New York or Chicago or San Fran, you can only experience the higher end of the cutting edge of the food scene if you have serious cash or are "somebody". Even then, you face months of waiting list to get a reservation. Here, you can walk in to most of the top restaurants in the city and actually have a conversation with the chef if you so inclined.

Quote:
Gunshow has been on my list of places to try since before it opened. I still haven't made it down there. I've eaten at Gillespie's previous restaurant several times and enjoyed it immensely each time.
Gunshow is amazing! I went during soft launch, and had several dishes served directly by Kevin Gillespie (who is a very humble and has a warm personality) himself at the table. My only complaint about the place is that since service is dim sum restaurant style, you'll end up wanting to try everything. My wallet was like "FORGET YOU MAN!" at the end of the meal.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:10 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,375,432 times
Quote:
Ippolito's counts as a chain, although strictly a local one. I listed those three because they all started in the Atlanta area and are all bad examples of the Atlanta food scene.

Quote:
Sounds like you are speaking in generalities and we are speaking of specifics. Yes it is harder to find the good stuff in Atlanta compared to New York (where you can walk in to most any place and get good food) or Chicago (where the good places are well known). But with only a little effort you can find fabulous food.

Try some of the restaurants on the Atlanta "Eater 38" list:

The 38 Essential Atlanta Restaurants, October '13 - Eater 38 - Eater Atlanta

Old 02-25-2014, 09:12 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,375,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Gunshow is amazing! I went during soft launch, and had several dishes served directly by Kevin Gillespie (who is a very humble and has a warm personality) himself at the table. My only complaint about the place is that since service is dim sum restaurant style, you'll end up wanting to try everything. My wallet was like "FORGET YOU MAN!" at the end of the meal.
I will have to remember that! I need to just get up and go, and take my daughter with. My wife would not enjoy it as she doesn't eat meat.

I met Kevin on our first visit to Woodfire Grill. We got to watch him cook from our table. Yes, he's a very nice guy.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,096,632 times
Atlanta's food scene, IMO, has so many great options that it is hard to visit all the new restaurants and still get back to new discoveries. I think that the food scene is very vibrant, exciting, inventive and varied.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,825,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
...I disagree with you in the most adamant way possible. The food scene in this city is one of the top in the country and we're at the leading pack of several movements including farm-to-table, where there are only a couple cities who can match us.

Let me know what kind of food you are into though. I can suggest several restaurants in this town that would change your mind...and probably make you cry with how awesome they are.
Ok, first of all I prefer seafood, but I also like red meat. I feel overwhelmed by chicken here and would be ok if I never tasted it again. I like spicy in the hot scoville scale sense and not just savory.

Of restaurants I have truly liked, I'd say McCormick and Schmick's, Chequers, Pappadeaux, 10 Degrees South, and a Thai restaurant on Roswell Rd that I can't come up with the name of right now would be on the list. I like southern cuisine like fried green tomatoes (one of my faves), greens and cornbread, but not really anything that involves gravy. I also don't care for Asian fusion like what I would consider PF Changs but they do make a damn fine sea bass.

I know I got a little verbose up there, but you seem to be an SME, and I wanted to give you most of the details so I could get some good recommendations. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta