Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I don't really care for chains. That's not the problem. I'm not sure if Ippolito's could actually be considered a chain but it is far from what I'd consider tasty Italian food.

I really never was a fan of Mexican or even Indian food until I moved here but everything was so bland to me that I had to venture outside my comfort zone to at all please my taste buds. I'm not suggesting there are no good restaurants in Atlanta, but as a general rule the food is not that good in most. I went almost a year without cooking a single meal (wouldn't recommend it - those were some hard gym days) so it's not for lack of trying different places. I am saying that the food here as a whole is not really all that good.
I'm sorry, but you're just wrong. Atlanta's newer restaurants continue to rank with some of the best in the country. Consistently making magazines with rankings of our restaurants. Here is a list that if you have not tried, you absolutely need to:

King+Duke
St Cecilia
The Optimist
Wastershed
JCT Kitchen
Bacchanalia
South City Kitchen
Canoe
4th and Swift
Woodfire Grill
Wisteria
Bistro Niko
Barcelona
Aria
Rathbuns
Veni Vidi Vici
Lure
Local Three
Abbatoir
Restaurant Eugene
Gunshow
Holeman and Finch

These are the ones I can name off the top of my head as being my favorites. Try and few and then please tell of your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 09:44 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,997 times
Seafood: Goin' Coastal Seafood Everything on their menu has been served in less than 72 hours from when it was caught. They also only purchase from sustainable fishers.

Welcome | Lure Seafood Restaurant | Atlanta GA

Six Feet Under Atlanta for something more casual.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:53 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I'm sorry, but you're just wrong. Atlanta's newer restaurants continue to rank with some of the best in the country. Consistently making magazines with rankings of our restaurants. Here is a list that if you have not tried, you absolutely need to:

King+Duke
St Cecilia
The Optimist
Wastershed
JCT Kitchen
Bacchanalia
South City Kitchen
Canoe
4th and Swift
Woodfire Grill
Wisteria
Bistro Niko
Barcelona
Aria
Rathbuns
Veni Vidi Vici
Lure
Local Three
Abbatoir
Restaurant Eugene
Gunshow
Holeman and Finch

These are the ones I can name off the top of my head as being my favorites. Try and few and then please tell of your opinion.
Thanks! It'll take a while to work through but I will definitely give my opinion. I have been to Canoe before (that's the one on West Paces, right?). I was on a date and must have been eating lite so I didn't really dig in.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Seafood: Goin' Coastal Seafood Everything on their menu has been served in less than 72 hours from when it was caught. They also only purchase from sustainable fishers.

You're speaking my language now; I grew up on the gulf coast.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,017 times
Quote:

Wow! I completely forgot Goin' Coastal. One of the owners is a college friend of mine, so that's especially bad.
Wonderful food and atmosphere though! Definitely recommend!

Old 02-25-2014, 10:11 AM

219 posts, read 270,512 times
Quote:
I have never eaten at any of those three restaurants so I don't have a valid opinion, but Atlanta's food is definitely not one of its selling features to me. I like the diversity, but I haven't had worse tasting food in the south since Nashville.
Quote:
Of restaurants I have truly liked, I'd say McCormick and Schmick's, Chequers, Pappadeaux, 10 Degrees South, and a Thai restaurant on Roswell Rd that I can't come up with the name of right now would be on the list
How does one post about the 'worse tasting food in the south' and has not even tried any of the top, say 30, restaurants in the city? (except Canoe)

Old 02-25-2014, 10:11 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,946 times
Quote:

Goin Coastal is a nice place with good food in a cool area.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Back to the article...

I can't say enough about Ford Fry aka King Midas: Everything he touches turns to gold.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:33 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Goin Coastal is a nice place with good food in a cool area.
Their Sunday brunch is MAGNIFICENT. In particular, there is this french toast bread pudding with a sausage crust and poached egg dish that I just drool excessively thinking about.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
How does one post about the 'worse tasting food in the south' and has not even tried any of the top, say 30, restaurants in the city? (except Canoe)
What are you all high and tight about? Where is the rest of that sentence? How does one post do what?

As you can tell, I'm open to trying new restaurants. I'm just relating my experience. In other cities IN THE SOUTH, I have not had to try the top anything to get a good tasting meal. I am specifically stating that Atlanta and Nashville were the worst. My specific issue is that the food is bland.

Since I've moved past that and will try the suggested places with a positive attitude, maybe you can move forward as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta