Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 AM

32,068 posts, read 37,053,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
wow— you waited 45 minutes? i went in there and the pizza was out faster than any pizza place i know of; since they keep the ovens so hot, they only take about 90 seconds to cook the pizza.

bring a friend and a bottle of wine or two. try out the olive oil and various additions they leave near the ovens. i think it's a blast.
45 minutes to get in the door and up to the counter. They served the pizza fairly quickly once we placed our order.

And of course we knew to bring our own wine, for which they graciously provided plastic cups in true Neapolitan style. I just wanted a glass of water on the side.

When the food is great I don't mind dealing with limited facilities, but in my opinion this pizza was only so-so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 08:14 PM
bu2

24,283 posts, read 15,131,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Thanks! It'll take a while to work through but I will definitely give my opinion. I have been to Canoe before (that's the one on West Paces, right?). I was on a date and must have been eating lite so I didn't really dig in.
I'm guessing most of these people haven't spent much time anywhere else. There are some really good restaurants. We like South City Kitchen, Bacchanalia is great. My wife really likes Canoe, although I'm not that enthused. Two Urban Licks and Serpas are two of our favorites. However, the quantity and variety of top restaurants is not that great for a city this size. The real problem is the mid-priced restaurants. They are generally pretty bad. And there are a lot of over-priced places. We were talking with some friends who live in mid-town who have lived elsewhere and their comment about the midtown restaurants was, "They've got New York City prices and New York City attitude, but they don't have the food to back it up."

Seafood is virtually non-existent. Oceanaire isn't bad. But Atlanta Fish Market fits in the definition of those midtown restaurants.

What passes for Mexican food is pretty bad. Uncle Julios is a Dallas chain, but they served me a taco with inedible Taco meat. That's really hard to mess up. Some really bad places thrive for some reason. I guess people don't know any better. We rarely went to Pappasitos in Texas, but its probably the best place here. Nuevo Laredo Cantina has good fajitas and a good hole-in-the wall atmosphere. La Parilla which is a local chain is pretty good. But there's not much else. Chinese food is even worse. Although I must admit, I haven't tried any of the places in the run-down strip centers on Buford Highway. Green Ginger Asian Fusion (really not fusion, they just happen to have Thai, Vietnamese AND Chinese all on the same menu) in Decatur is pretty good, but anything we like in Decatur usually closes pretty quickly, so it might not be there by the time you try it! I think there have been 4 or 5 places we liked in Decatur that promptly closed. There's some good pizza, but Italian is pretty weak. Vini, Vici, Vidi fits the midtown restaurant definition. Although there is a pretty good Italian restaurant stuck in an old house by a hotel near there, but can't think of the name right now.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:12 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,870,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Great question. Looking forward to the answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariek750 View Post
Ugh, I've lived in the Atlanta area my entire life and there's no such thing as "great" when it comes to anything seafood related.

But as a fan of fish tacos, and also tacos in general, El Taco in the VA Highlands does it well-ish, as the caper mayo makes it and I say that as someone who usually hates mayo and capers. Their smoked chicken taco is even better though. They're also super accommodating to add-ons, be it lettuce, sour cream, salsa, guac., veggies, etc.

It's a bizarre atmosphere that I'm not entirely a fan of, mostly because it confuses me. The place doesn't know what it wants to be (kid friendly, yet they spin a wheel where someone "wins" a free tequila shot?), but the tacos are decent, the environment is warm and the staff is A+.
I'm fine with "good" or "well-ish." Thanks for the rec.!

Quote:
I liked Twisted Taco on Wieuca. The taste was somewhat TexMex I'd say and also very filling - I ordered three but could only finish two. I'm not sure of all the options but one had tilapia, another had mahi mahi, and the third was with shrimp, and I really like the red cabbage slaw in one.

Pappasito's on Windy Hill is good as well. I have not had a fish taco there, but I have had the seafood enchiladas. - shrimp, scallops, crawfish, lots of cheese, avocado, etc. It's an indulgence for sure; I'd guess 1,000 calories strong but I can do without the details. At any rate, I'd assume their fish tacos would taste awesome as well.

Generally in a Mexican restaurant I get shrimp fajitas, chile rellenos, or pinto beans depending on my mood.
I appreciate you, thanks for the recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Gotta vote for Twisted Taco's fish tacos. They are very good! And, oddly enough, Gordon Biersch has good fish tacos. And for the person who posted that Atlanta doesn't have good seafood - well, I don't know where you've tried, but we have some great seafood: Lobster Bar, Oceanaire, Steamhouse, Atlanta Fish Market, and many others in varying price ranges.
We have confirmation, thanks a lot!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:33 PM
bu2

24,283 posts, read 15,131,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Whether food is good, great or not is highly subjective. There is no use in having a debate over it. Everyone has different taste buds. I appreciate the answer that you provided.
If I think fish tacos are a soggy abomination that should be banned from the planet and you like them, that's a matter of taste.
If I think Bones has the best steaks in Atlanta and you think Rathburns does, that's a matter of taste.
But if I think Atlanta has lousy Mexican food and you think they have good Mexican food, that would simply mean your taste buds hadn't experienced good Mexican food!

Old 02-28-2014, 07:55 PM

32,068 posts, read 37,053,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
If I think fish tacos are a soggy abomination that should be banned from the planet and you like them, that's a matter of taste.
If I think Bones has the best steaks in Atlanta and you think Rathburns does, that's a matter of taste.

Bone's hands down, but a good fish taco is a thing of beauty.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:52 AM

10,741 posts, read 13,494,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Bone's hands down, but a good fish taco is a thing of beauty.
I'll take Chops over Bones and Rathbuns. Hal's is great too.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:09 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,849,014 times
Quote:
But if I think Atlanta has lousy Mexican food and you think they have good Mexican food, that would simply mean your taste buds hadn't experienced good Mexican food!
You just haven't had a good one. I don't want one soggy either lol.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:15 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,849,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'll take Chops over Bones and Rathbuns. Hal's is great too.
I know I'm going to lose this one, but I like Ruth's Chris and Fogo de Chao.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:34 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,397,188 times
Quote:
I know I'm going to lose this one, but I like Ruth's Chris and Fogo de Chao.
to Fogo de Chao. How can you argue with meat on swords and skewers?

But Ruth's Chris? I've never had a good meal there. There are far better steak places in Atlanta.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:36 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,397,188 times
Quote:
For me it's New York Prime in Buckhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta