Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 01:38 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,349,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I have never eaten at any of those three restaurants so I don't have a valid opinion, but Atlanta's food is definitely not one of its selling features to me.
I'd have to say that I agree. I had relocated to the Atlanta area several years ago from Houston (I've since moved back), and I can't say I was fond of the food scene. I wouldn't say that the food in Atlanta is bad, but just about every cuisine I tried was so much better back home. Most Chinese takeout I got here was just barely palatable. The Vietnamese food? No comparison to Houston's. Mexican food will obviously be better in Texas. Seafood is another obvious win for Houston. The Creole/Cajun food was pretty poor. Southern/soul food in Atlanta is more trendy, but only occasionally did I get that down home value like I would in much of the South. Barbecue and Mediterranean? Two more points for Houston. If anything, I'd say that Atlanta probably had the edge in African, Caribbean, and vegan restaurants.

I'd say that Atlanta is a top five food city in the South, but I'd personally place it behind Houston, New Orleans, Dallas, and Charleston.

Atlanta did give us Chick-fil-A, though. For that, I am forever grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:21 PM

32,031 posts, read 36,818,852 times
Funny, I had almost the exact opposite reaction to the Houston food scene. Good but still a long way to go.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Funny, I had almost the exact opposite reaction to the Houston food scene. Good but still a long way to go.
Possibly, but Houston tends to get more praise amongst foodies. Atlanta, like Dallas, has its strengths in trendy, fine dining. For the sheer diversity of ethnic cuisines, though, Houston is topped by no one in the South.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,880,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Possibly, but Houston tends to get more praise amongst foodies. Atlanta, like Dallas, has its strengths in trendy, fine dining. For the sheer diversity of ethnic cuisines, though, Houston is topped by no one in the South.
i don't know if i'd support the diversity claim, but i think you are right on target about atlanta having its strengths in 'trendy fine dining'. all of the restaurants listed are too expensive for many atlantans to go to. when it comes to 'street food', atlanta is not all that great, and i think that's what many people are complaining about.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't know if i'd support the diversity claim
What city do you think beats it?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,880,801 times
Quote:
What city do you think beats it?
i just don't think houston really beats atlanta when it comes to food diversity. i mean, bull penis and pig's blood soup are not incredibly hard to find in atlanta. i mean, we have restaurants where you have to know korean or vietnamese to actually order. we have a lot of stuff i simply won't eat, lol. i will say that houston does have a lot larger hispanic population and you guys probably have a more 'even mix' of ethnicities with your restaurants, but when it comes to plain weirdness and the bizarre, i don't know if you guys have that degree of diversity when it comes to food. feel free to prove me wrong.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 AM

178 posts, read 528,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'll have to give that a try the next time we are out there. It's pretty cool that they have actual plates, glasses and silverware.

I'm also a fan of Varasano's in Buckhead. Varasano's Pizzeria
Ok, thanks. I'll have to try Varasano's out.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i just don't think houston really beats atlanta when it comes to food diversity. i mean, bull penis and pig's blood soup are not incredibly hard to find in atlanta. i mean, we have restaurants where you have to know korean or vietnamese to actually order. we have a lot of stuff i simply won't eat, lol. i will say that houston does have a lot larger hispanic population and you guys probably have a more 'even mix' of ethnicities with your restaurants, but when it comes to plain weirdness and the bizarre, i don't know if you guys have that degree of diversity when it comes to food. feel free to prove me wrong.
Why do you think that, is what I'm really asking? Have you eaten in Houston before?

It's difficult to prove or disprove something of this nature, unless one wanted to go through the entire list of ethnic cuisines in existence to discover which city had more of each. Even if that's possible, Google sure couldn't give you a definitive answer.

I'm going by my personal experience of living in both cities. Ethnic street food and other vernacular cuisines were simply more common in Houston. This is hardly any kind of a secret. Add that to the fact that Houston sits at the crossroads of several culturally distinct regions, and you end up with a much more varied food scene. It's far more complex than simply having a large Hispanic population.

Last edited by Nairobi; 03-05-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 16,807 times
Well first things first here...you'd have to reside in Houston to develop a real argument here. But you'd have to reside in Houston. Sooooo....theres that.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:17 PM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,909,092 times
Quote:
Why do you think that, is what I'm really asking? Have you eaten in Houston before?

It's difficult to prove or disprove something of this nature, unless one wanted to go through the entire list of ethnic cuisines in existence to discover which city had more of each. Even if that's possible, Google sure couldn't give you a definitive answer.

I'm going by my personal experience of living in both cities. Ethnic street food and other vernacular cuisines were simply more common in Houston. This is hardly any kind of a secret. Add that to the fact that Houston sits at the crossroads of several culturally distinct regions, and you end up with a much more varied food scene. It's far more complex than simply having a large Hispanic population.

All my friends who have lived in both cities miss the Houston food.

Houston doesn't have as much of the root vegetables and inedible body parts, but you really aren't supposed to eat that stuff unless you are too poor to get anything else. And you sure shouldn't pay $$$$ for it!

Atlanta is good if you are comparing it to Orlando, but its 3 times the size of Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta