Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 07:42 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times

Advertisements

Don't forget Baltimore and Washington DC in that count....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 12:54 PM

65 posts, read 187,369 times
Default Not NYC or S. Florida

I'm of Trini heritage, and Atlanta is not NYC or S. Florida, but else in the US is? I've spent most of my time in Atlanta in Midtown, and know that you will find larger Caribbean populations in West Cobb, Stone Mountain, and some other Northern suburbs. Most of the restaurants are out that way also . . . I mostly only find Jamaican restaurants closer to the city. I've read the threads and would be wary of the people who posted using Caribbean and Jamaican interchangibly . . . usually an indication that they are not too familiar with Caribbean culture since their reference point is one island

Old 01-18-2008, 07:16 PM

4 posts, read 15,192 times
I am most finding west idians in stone mountain area also. I however am from nevis and i have found a few other west indians on the south side in large numbers also.....However I am in nedd of a small island church in my area. If any one knows of one that would be great if u can let me know where there's one on my side of town.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 PM

6 posts, read 48,727 times
Default West Indian (Carribean) Opinions of ATL

I moved to ATL from MD a little over 3 years ago and have a jamaican background. I would tend to agree with the previous posts about carribean's in general being spread out in ATL. I live in North Fulton where I have found very few carribean resources (some in Roswell but not many). When I truly want a good jamaican meal, I usually go to one of the restaurants on Memorial drive in Stone Mountain. There is also a jamaican bakery on memorial drive. If I want to buy groceries/seasonings, I'll either go to the dekalb farmers market (great selection), or this excellent market off of covington highway (the name escapes me at the moment), but if you take 285 east (from N. Fulton) and exit on Covington hwy, make a right and it's about 1 mile down on the left. I know that "kingston" is in the name but I just can't think of the rest.

Hope this helps

Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 PM

28 posts, read 208,239 times
I am a Jamaican living in NYC and plan to move to ATL as well, I have family living in ATL in Lawrenceville, Stone Mountain & Hampton (Clayton County).

The nightlife seems great, not sure where this club was but it was called 725 (or 7something) it was in a strip mall with 3 different clubs really close... I believe it was Dekalb Co. May be someone here knows where I am talking. The area was filled with West Indians.

We will take over ATL little by little...LOL... whereever in atl you go I am sure there will be West Indians there and more will be coming.... LOL! NUFF RESPECT

Old 01-30-2008, 07:03 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
The Royal Peacock on Auburn Avenue is an awesome reggae bar that plays dancehall, as well as soca. Below the club is a decent Carribean restaurant and there are a few other Carribean restaurants around the area and on Edgewood as well. There's a cool restaurant bar (I forget the name) that has some great pasties. Cool Runnings out in Stone Mountain is also another great Carribean bar.

As far as Carribean music, Rockers International on 89.3 FM is a great Carribean show and there is also another show on 91.9 Clark-Atlanta University.

And last, but not least, the Carribean festival Downtown is not to be missed.

Atlanta is not Miami or NYC, but you will see that Carribean folks have a very noticeable presence here (and thank God for that since I like reggae, curry, Red Stripe, and Trini women )!

Old 01-30-2008, 03:55 PM

90 posts, read 412,634 times
To keep everyone informed there is a great Carribbean party that is put on by Trends Concepts the third Friday of every month. i believe the parties are back at Verve now. The crowd is younger (less than 30) so depending on your age it might not be for you.

For those who are Jamaican its an "uptown" crowd. I always have a great time.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 AM

7 posts, read 49,840 times
Default West Indian foods, culture

The stone Mountain area has a lot of West Indians, foods, and stuff.
Royal Carribean Bakery on the corner of Memorial and Rockbridge
Jamaician Restaurant in next plaza on Memorial
Roti Shop( Pinelake) on Rockbridge
There are also stores on 285 South the exit after Memorial drive, turn right and they will be up on the left. I forget the exit.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 13,897 times
Well i have been living in Georgia since 2004. It somewhat different than I expected. You hear such wonderful thing about it in NY. However, once i moved here, I found it to be quite

Old 03-22-2009, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 13,897 times
I don't find that the natives are very accepting of people from different cultures. Although I am black, there is still a seperation between the native black and other black. I think that there is a lot of sterotyping going on. Things that other people have say about people from the caribbean. So even if i live in a mostly back community, i still stand alone because there are not a lot of people from the the island here. In fact i have only met one other person. I was told that being comfortable in Georgia as a west indian is a matter of where you live. I heard that stone mountain and laurenceville are good places to live, it is not real easy to sell and just move. Does anyone have any suggestion. I am also looking for a church where there are lots of west indians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta