Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 AM

155 posts, read 206,665 times

Advertisements

What are the best community colleges in Atlanta?..It seems like everywhere I look there are bad reviews. The community colleges I am looking at are Georgia Perimeter College,Atlanta Metropolitan College, and Georgia Military College-Fairburn. The latter,GMC-Fairburn is very far from where I plan to reside at in the area which will be another thread so I am just wondering what exactly are the community colleges like in the Atlanta area coming from you all view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,130,121 times
I don't think Atlanta (or Georgia) has any "Community" Colleges. We seem to be all about image, so the BOR renamed all the colleges to university. I guess our Technical Colleges fulfill that role now.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:19 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times
I went to Georgia Perimter College. I don't know what they call it now, but it did well by me. I like the Clarkston and Dunwoody campuses.

Clarkston because of the diversity, and Dunwoody because of the better offerings of campus resources.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:24 AM

840 posts, read 2,085,570 times
Georgia doesn't have "Community Colleges" Per Se. There is the TCSG, Technical College System of Georgia. Which are the community college equivalents here in the state. In the Atlanta area, there is GPTC, Atlanta Tech, Chattahoochee Tech, and Gwinnett Tech in the five county core. These schools offer terminal associates degree that don't really transfer well to the 4 year schools. There are also the junior colleges like Atlanta Metro and Georgia Perimeter in the area that offer Associates degree that transfer well to the University of Georgia System.

If you do go to the TCSG system and want to get a bachelors degree Clayton State and SPSU offer transferable degrees for people with Associate degrees from the TCSG.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Atlanta metro and Atlanta Technical are considered "community" colleges in that Atlanta metro prior to a couple years ago was a 2 year college only. It is now a state college and does offer limited 4 year degrees but it is WAY cheaper than any other college I have seen here in metro Atlanta.

That said, they have a horrible registration process and IMO seem pretty inept in that regard. I have young family member who attends there and he hated the registration process but now that he is going there, he likes it okay and feels he is saving money for his first two years before he transfers to a 4 year college next year. His tuition is like $3K per year and really it can't be beat. I've never been to classes there so cannot comment in regards to quality, but it is an accredited college and credits there will transfer to other colleges/universities within the university system of Georgia.

My husband took a paralegal course years ago at Georgia Perimeter College and got a paralegal certificate there for really cheap, but that was years ago and he already had a four year college degree at the time. He enjoyed the class there.

I'm not sure if there is a way to "rate" them specifically. I feel that either of the ones I mentioned will be okay for you, especially if you are intending to get a 4 year degree. They are significantly cheaper options versus more traditional 4 year colleges/universities here in GA. My relative has a friend who went to Atlanta Metro and transferred over to GA Tech who is a year ahead of him and the relative is planning to do the same within the next year so I do think they are good starting points. Atlanta metro also offers online classes as well that are way cheaper than the ones that too many people IMO in metro Atlanta attend like University of Phoenix (their price is just ridiculous to me). Any of the ones you mentioned and that have been mentioned in the thread would be better choices than those TV schools as well that people get into debt to attend.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:59 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,972 times
Atlanta Metro is now Atlanta State College, they also offer Bachelor degrees now. I find their tuition to be much lower per credit hour. I often see GSU, Clark Atlanta students taking classes there also.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Georgia doesn't have "Community Colleges" Per Se. There is the TCSG, Technical College System of Georgia. Which are the community college equivalents here in the state. In the Atlanta area, there is GPTC, Atlanta Tech, Chattahoochee Tech, and Gwinnett Tech in the five county core. These schools offer terminal associates degree that don't really transfer well to the 4 year schools. There are also the junior colleges like Atlanta Metro and Georgia Perimeter in the area that offer Associates degree that transfer well to the University of Georgia System.
Atlanta Metro and GP are now state colleges

Quote:
If you do go to the TCSG system and want to get a bachelors degree Clayton State and SPSU offer transferable degrees for people with Associate degrees from the TCSG.
SPSU will be merged with KSU by this time next year.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Atlanta Metro is now Atlanta State College, they also offer Bachelor degrees now. I find their tuition to be much lower per credit hour. I often see GSU, Clark Atlanta students taking classes there also.
It's still Atlanta Metropolitan.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:30 AM

840 posts, read 2,085,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Atlanta Metro and GP are now state colleges

SPSU will be merged with KSU by this time next year.
Yeah I know, I think when the USG schools have "State College" on the end, those are the former Junior Colleges that were part of USG system.

My sister is in the Mass Communication program at Atlanta Metro which is now known as Atlanta Metropolitan State College. The school offers 2 bachelor programs in Criminal Justice and Biology. They are getting 2 more Bachelor programs in Digital Media and Computer Networking. My sister is on the school newspaper at Atlanta Metro so she has explained that this change is happening at a lot of the USG schools.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:21 PM

155 posts, read 206,665 times
Thank you all..Do you all know if the Junior colleges transfer well out of state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta