Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 PM

107 posts, read 197,243 times

Advertisements

We are very (VERY) early in the stages of thinking about maybe (possibly) moving to Atlanta. I am an over-planner, though, so I've already started researching.

My main question is how/why did you decide to live inside Atlanta versus outside the perimeter? Proximity to job? Traffic? Other factors? I don't know Atlanta very well, so I'm really curious. We'd like to stay within 10 miles of a location that is inside the perimeter, leaving us with options outside as well as inside.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 07:26 PM

10,331 posts, read 11,316,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledabout View Post
We are very (VERY) early in the stages of thinking about maybe (possibly) moving to Atlanta. I am an over-planner, though, so I've already started researching.

My main question is how/why did you decide to live inside Atlanta versus outside the perimeter? Proximity to job? Traffic? Other factors? I don't know Atlanta very well, so I'm really curious. We'd like to stay within 10 miles of a location that is inside the perimeter, leaving us with options outside as well as inside.

Thanks in advance!
Most newcomers to metro Atlanta are strongly-advised to look for a place to live AFTER finding employment and being hired to a well-paying job for two reasons:

1) So that newcomers to metro Atlanta have employment before moving into an Atlanta region with a very-tough and challenging job market, and...

2) So that newcomers can attempt to minimize their rush hour commutes in an Atlanta metro region with a severely-limited surface road network and a severely-congested and overcapacity freeway network that struggles mightily to handle nearly 3 times the amount of traffic that it was designed for.

With the metro Atlanta job market still being so tight in most circumstances, just worry about being able to find a well-paying job anywhere that a well-paying job might present itself before worrying about where you would like to live.

Worry about finding a living space AFTER finding employment so that you will know that you will have an income during time when many very well-qualified candidates are going without employment for extended periods of time, and so that you will know where to look for employment in an Atlanta region that struggles with too many cars on a transportation network of too few roads (and too-little transit).

Old 02-27-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Most newcomers to metro Atlanta are strongly-advised to look for a place to live AFTER finding employment and being hired to a well-paying job for two reasons:

1) So that newcomers to metro Atlanta have employment before moving into an Atlanta region with a very-tough and challenging job market, and...

2) So that newcomers can attempt to minimize their rush hour commutes in an Atlanta metro region with a severely-limited surface road network and a severely-congested and overcapacity freeway network that struggles mightily to handle nearly 3 times the amount of traffic that it was designed for.

With the metro Atlanta job market still being so tight in most circumstances, just worry about being able to find a well-paying job anywhere that a well-paying job might present itself before worrying about where you would like to live.

Worry about finding a living space AFTER finding employment so that you will know that you will have an income during time when many very well-qualified candidates are going without employment for extended periods of time, and so that you will know where to look for employment in an Atlanta region that struggles with too many cars on a transportation network of too few roads (and too-little transit).
Thanks for the pep talk. With all due respect, if my husband gets this job the transition would have to be relatively fast. We have moved plenty of times. I know how this goes. I do appreciate your comments, but let me just say we don't plan to buy anything or rent anything until he has been hired. I'm trying to get an idea of how much it will cost to get what we want; he will need this information before he's actually hired.

That having been said, do you have any input pertaining to the questions I asked? Thanks!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:31 PM

10,732 posts, read 13,265,218 times
It really depends on budget, school needs, and the like. There is a sticky at the top of the Atlanta forum. It asks for certain data that will help us help you. Check that out.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,890,590 times
Many live where they do for their commute to work and/or schools for their children.

For me I needed to be able to afford a house and have a reasonable commute to work, therefore I'm "OTP" (outside the perimeter). However, I prefer the city, so If I could pick up my house and job and put it "ITP" I would do it in an instant.
My house would cost 4 times what it does now if I lived in the city, thus I have to wait until I land a better job.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,695,198 times
The Perimeter isn't a wall that prevents you from crossing it. You can freely come and go as you please.
Price really matters.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
It really depends on budget, school needs, and the like. There is a sticky at the top of the Atlanta forum. It asks for certain data that will help us help you. Check that out.
Ack! I saw that sticky, started a post, revised my post... they are lost. Here are my stats per the sticky:

1. $1500/mo rent
2. rental house
3. trying to stay 10 miles from husband's work location which is northeast of downtown inside the perimeter
4. homeschool
5. suburban space is great; we realize this will probably only come at the expense of funky urban living unless you know of something cool that is a mixture
6. unsure about transit--willing to use it if it helps/is convenient/more efficient, but it's not a deal breaker at all as far as living near a station
7. friendly people... we are pretty easy, other families with school-age kids would be nice, but we've also enjoyed living near older people recently

Old 02-27-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The Perimeter isn't a wall that prevents you from crossing it. You can freely come and go as you please.
Price really matters.
Is there a cultural difference? More downtownish inside the perimeter? We have a young family but have lived in LA for 3 years and enjoy cultural things nearby as well. We realize this may be impossible in a suburban setting but also want space... hence my question. And I'm mostly picking brains here because I'm truly curious why people choose to live where they live because I don't have a lot of experience there yet.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Many live where they do for their commute to work and/or schools for their children.

For me I needed to be able to afford a house and have a reasonable commute to work, therefore I'm "OTP" (outside the perimeter). However, I prefer the city, so If I could pick up my house and job and put it "ITP" I would do it in an instant.
My house would cost 4 times what it does now if I lived in the city, thus I have to wait until I land a better job.
Thanks for that. I assume there is also generally less space between houses, for yards, etc. ITP?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:45 PM
bu2

23,855 posts, read 14,628,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledabout View Post
Thanks for that. I assume there is also generally less space between houses, for yards, etc. ITP?
To all your questions, the answer is: not necessarily. There are a lot of unique neighborhoods each with different characteristics.

On your #7, Atlanta is a very friendly city regardless of neighborhood, perhaps the friendliest big city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta