Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:38 AM

17 posts, read 20,148 times

Advertisements

We are an asian couple in our thirties and relocating to Atlanta from Nashville, TN. Hubby will be working in the Riveredge Pkwy NW, Atlanta, GA 30328 area and I will be working from home.
Being Walk-friendly and a safe neighborhood with easy commute to H's work are our biggest priorities. We are not into clubs,bars or the nightlife but
looking for an area where I can be within walking distance of shopping, grocery, fast food and preferably a bookstore/public library.

1. Renting or buying ----- Initially we will rent. Rental budget of $1500-1700 per month.

2. House/Condo/Townhome? ----- Apartments/Condo/Townhome can all work but we need at least 2 bedrooms and an attached garage and a good residential community.

3. Children(public school vs. private)------- No kids,so school district not relevant.

4. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of two-------Prefer Urban lifestyle but don't want to be in a cramped downtown loft, so a mix of two can also work.

5. Easy access to public transit, important or not? --- Yes that's a priority and important but not an absolute dealbreaker.

6. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood ---- We like diversity, preferably with a mix of Asians & Indians and young professionals. Not a place overly dominated by 1 single race group.

7. Work location (commute/work from home) ------- Daily commute to 2100 Riveredge Pkwy NW, Atlanta, GA 30328

8. Airport access, important or not? Not important

All your suggestions and comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 06:56 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
It looks like your husbands job is just outside the perimeter. It has a Sandy Springs address but is actually closer to Cumberland Mall.

You have two great options for location - Cumberland Mall area or Perimeter Mall area. Both have lots of apartment options and good sidewalks for walkability.

Perimeter Mall is a much bigger area so walking distances maybe further but it also has access to Marta rail for public transportation.

Cumberland Mall right now has a lot of road work which could create some issues - at least walking to the local Kroger (grocery). It has access to CCT bus system which you can take to a Marta rail station.

My guess would be that Perimeter Mall might have a larger Asian/Indian population.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:04 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyshree View Post
We are an asian couple in our thirties and relocating to Atlanta from Nashville, TN. Hubby will be working in the Riveredge Pkwy NW, Atlanta, GA 30328 area and I will be working from home.
Being Walk-friendly and a safe neighborhood with easy commute to H's work are our biggest priorities. We are not into clubs,bars or the nightlife but
looking for an area where I can be within walking distance of shopping, grocery, fast food and preferably a bookstore/public library.

1. Renting or buying ----- Initially we will rent. Rental budget of $1500-1700 per month.

2. House/Condo/Townhome? ----- Apartments/Condo/Townhome can all work but we need at least 2 bedrooms and an attached garage and a good residential community.

3. Children(public school vs. private)------- No kids,so school district not relevant.

4. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of two-------Prefer Urban lifestyle but don't want to be in a cramped downtown loft, so a mix of two can also work.

5. Easy access to public transit, important or not? --- Yes that's a priority and important but not an absolute dealbreaker.

6. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood ---- We like diversity, preferably with a mix of Asians & Indians and young professionals. Not a place overly dominated by 1 single race group.

7. Work location (commute/work from home) ------- Daily commute to 2100 Riveredge Pkwy NW, Atlanta, GA 30328

Thanks!
Transit most-likely will not be much (if any) of an option (...only one very-low frequency bus route that runs through the area about once every hour between 6:10am and 7pm), so there's no need to even worry about that as transit will not be practical to use to and from that work location.

Your husband will most-likely have no choice but to drive to and from work at that transit-deficient location.

Also, with severe traffic congestion being such a major issue in metro Atlanta, particularly along the stretch of I-285 that runs directly through that area where traffic is often extremely heavy during peak traffic periods (morning and evening rush hours, holiday rush periods and even on some weekends), attempting to live as close as one can to where one will be working is often a priority for newcomers.

If you want a really easy commute to your husband's job (in a metro area of often very-rough rush hour commutes in Atlanta), the best and first place that you should look to see if you can find something in your price range is a new condo/townhome development called One River Place, which is almost literally right around the corner from where your husband will be working.
Atlanta Luxury Condos and Townhomes | Sandy Springs Condos | One River Place

Moving just a little farther away from your husband's future work location, areas like Sandy Springs and Cumberland and Dunwoody would also be good places to look like lorilove recommended.

Though you should be warned that finding someplace truly walkable or "walk-friendly" close to where your husband will be working will likely be a challenge.

"Downtown" Sandy Springs (the heavily-developed stretch of GA Hwy 9 through the center of Sandy Springs) is likely the closest thing to "walkable" that you will find immediately close to where your husband will be working, and in all honesty, while GA 9 Roswell Road has sidewalks, it is not necessarily someplace that can be considered "walk-friendly" at this point with shopping, grocery stores, fast food restaurants and bookstores and public libraries within walking distance.

Like the city/metro area that you are moving from in Nashville, metro Atlanta is very-much an automobile-oriented metro area dominated by automobile-oriented development patterns, but probably even moreso than Nashville.

After you move to Atlanta, chances are you are going to be doing a lot of driving in most situations, though you will be able to use transit on certain select special occasions (big special events in Midtown and Downtown Atlanta where parking may be either too expensive and/or scarce).

Even farther away from where your husband will be working are the more-walkable areas of historic Vinings village, the re-emerging downtown Smyrna, and historic village-like area surrounding the historic Marietta Square in downtown Marietta in Cobb County, historic downtown Roswell in North Fulton County, and historic downtown Norcross in ultra-diverse Gwinnett County.

Yet even farther away from where you husband will be working are the walkable village areas of historic downtown Acworth in Northwest Cobb County and historic downtown Woodstock.

These areas might offer something closer to the kind of walkability that you are looking for, the only problem is that the rush hour commutes between these places and where your husband will be working will likely be a significant challenge at times.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 PM

Born 2 Roll - the way I read the original post simplyshree will need the walkability access near the apartment where she will be working from home.

I could be wrong, but I got the impression her husband would be commuting and therefore have a car.

Simplyshree - please clarify because that impacts the choices you have available

Old 03-02-2014, 10:26 PM

Thank you LoriLove and Born2Roll for taking the time. Lorilove you got it right.... I am looking for walkability for myself and my hubby will be driving to work. Would appreciate more feedback based on this input.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Born 2 Roll - the way I read the original post simplyshree will need the walkability access near the apartment where she will be working from home.

I could be wrong, but I got the impression her husband would be commuting and therefore have a car.

Simplyshree - please clarify because that impacts the choices you have available
The OP said that access to transit was a priority but would not be a dealbreaker, so I just tried to give her a complete view of the transit picture in the area where her husband will be working so that they would know that transit would not necessarily be easily or conveniently accessible to and from her husband's job location at the level of availability that they might desire.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you LoriLove and Born2Roll for taking the time. Lorilove you got it right.... I am looking for walkability for myself and my hubby will be driving to work. Would appreciate more feedback based on this input.
In that case, someplace along the MARTA Red Line would be a good option for you (probably close to either the North Springs, Sandy Springs or Dunwoody stations).

If your husband is willing to drive a little farther to work, you could even look for someplace near the MARTA heavy rail station in the upscale Buckhead major commercial district where high-quality condos and townhomes abound in a popular area of shops and restaurants.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 PM

The OneRiverPlace condos and townhomes look really good. But I think they are not available for rent and are only for sale...

Old 03-03-2014, 02:21 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Mostly based on the bold above, I'd suggest first suggest Post Crest, Post Properties,on Cumberland Pkwy behind Cumberland Mall. The commute would be short for your husband. He could get on 285 at Paces Ferry or Cobb Pkwy and basically just have to go a couple of exits to get to New Northside/work or even just take the streets. The area is fairly walkable if you don't mind it hilly at points, and you'd be two city blocks away from where CCT and MARTA meet up behind the mall.

My next choice would be Stonewood at Vinings, Stonewood at Vinings Apartments, 2158 Cumberland Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30339 - Home, which is also on Cumberland Pkwy but it's near Home Depot and Publix. Definitely less walkable unless again you really like a hill. Your husband would likely get on 285 at Paces Ferry for sure from there but has the option of taking surface streets.

Next would be Estates at Vinings Station, Estates at Vinings Station | Apartments in Smyrna, GA, which is in Smyrna and just one exit south of Paces Ferry on Atlanta Road. I wouldn't consider it all that walkable but you would be across the street from a Kroger and surrounded by gas stations yet a short jog over 285 from restaurants. In short though, you may be more likely to get hit by car over there. The area is a little more sketchy but I don't consider it bad.

My suggestions were mostly driven by your desire to have an attached garage and proximity to your husband's job. Because of the warm climate here I assume, most complexes don't have covered parking at all and fewer still have attached rather than detached garages which they seem to add as an afterthought. You should also look into private rentals around Smyrna Market Village which I consider very walkable.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 AM

Smyrna typically has several townhomes with attached garages that would meet many of your needs. Public transportation in that area is limited with CCT buses unless you live closer to Cumberland Mall where you can pickup the direct line to the Marta rail station

The Perimeter Mall area I believe has fewer townhome communities but there is so much construction in that area these days I can't say what you want is not available

Post Crest would be an excellent location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta