Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,225 times

Advertisements

AcidSnake,

I think the scenario you laid out is the case for most places in our country. The U.S. does not have an especially equality-focused past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Thank you for this response.

Truth be told, the only reason Buckhead and any other wealthy region in Georgia & America came up so fast…was through coming up in an era where manufacturing and manipulation of ethnic & tribal strife was so depressingly common...in order to gain access to cheap & free labor.

The wealth families of Buckhead had the type of advantages granted to very few in times long gone.

Let's not even mention the fact that very few people had the right to proper enforcement of their property rights.

Imagine what would have happen if a well-off black community surrounding Auburn Ave wasn't steamrolled by the state when the I-75/85 was diverted from it's original direction through Peachtree St? Imagine if Auburn Ave was never subjected to a race riot manipulated by elite forces in Atlanta media during the early 20th century?

What sort of economic powerhouse would that Auburn Black community be today?

Stuff like this is why I will never consider seriously the commentary of those who would strongly suggest that Buckhead is subsidizing everyone else in Atlanta.

Gross inequity subsidized Buckhead's existence in the first place.

But I forget that historical recollection is pretty selective around these here parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 08:54 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
AcidSnake,

I think the scenario you laid out is the case for most places in our country. The U.S. does not have an especially equality-focused past.
But he makes a good poinT
Many of those old guard people made the forturnes off the backs of people who often were paid little or nothing.
A lot of people don't even know some of the history of Buckhead being a largely black community before it stareted to become popular among the wealthy elite.

They literally took land and ran many black families out of the area without fair compensation.

So if they are paying more then so be it.At least as it pertains to the "old Guard Buckhead" elite.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:25 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,463 times
If Buckhead was separate from the CoA, Atlanta would have even higher taxes. It is exactly what happened in Metro Detroit. The wealth left the City of Detroit for the Grosse Pointes and Bloomfields. When the wealthy all leave somebody has to pay the taxes.

Maybe some hipster area is cool and edgy, but cool and edgy cannot fund a school system.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:55 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,225 times
I wasn't saying he doesn't make a good point. I was saying that what he is saying is true...and it applies t to many cases around the country.

Who are the "they" you are talking about bc Buckhead is filled with everyone nowadays (ppl of all races and ppl who are not even from the south) - not just the uber rich - and we are all paying these taxes! Also, I can believe you bc there is a very old African-American church in Buckhead near Paces Ferry from the late 1800s, I think and it would not be there if there wasn't a sizeable local presence within walking distance at that time.

Acidsnake was replying to the ppl with posts about the folk in Buckhead who built various venues but your comment on taxes goes to my point about the taxes. The point of my posts is that it would be nice to at least have a decent sidewalk for all the taxes being paid. It really has nothing to do with who is paying the taxes, just the general idea of getting more for the money that is being paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
But he makes a good poinT
Many of those old guard people made the forturnes off the backs of people who often were paid little or nothing.
A lot of people don't even know some of the history of Buckhead being a largely black community before it stareted to become popular among the wealthy elite.

They literally took land and ran many black families out of the area without fair compensation.

So if they are paying more then so be it.At least as it pertains to the "old Guard Buckhead" elite.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:26 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
I wasn't saying he doesn't make a good point. I was saying that what he is saying is true...and it applies t to many cases around the country.

Who are the "they" you are talking about bc Buckhead is filled with everyone nowadays (ppl of all races and ppl who are not even from the south) - not just the uber rich - and we are all paying these taxes! Also, I can believe you bc there is a very old African-American church in Buckhead near Paces Ferry from the late 1800s, I think and it would not be there if there wasn't a sizeable local presence within walking distance at that time.

Acidsnake was replying to the ppl with posts about the folk in Buckhead who built various venues but your comment on taxes goes to my point about the taxes. The point of my posts is that it would be nice to at least have a decent sidewalk for all the taxes being paid. It really has nothing to do with who is paying the taxes, just the general idea of getting more for the money that is being paid.
I know.I was just making a statement.

When I say "they",I mean the old guard that really does not have the power they use to due to the new money residents not just Buckhead but many of the walthy areas.

Another thing is that this is a "how the city government functions" more than which side gets ervices more or who should get more.

I don't nearly the isues of bad sidewalks and roads in Buckhead like I do in the West End or Downtown.
The money is not flowing to the less affluent parts of town thats for sure.So where is it going?

Old 03-12-2014, 05:36 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Also, I can believe you bc there is a very old African-American church in Buckhead near Paces Ferry from the late 1800s, I think and it would not be there if there wasn't a sizeable local presence within walking distance at that time.
There have been a number of black settlements in various parts of Buckhead. There is still the excellent New Hope AME church on Arden, less than a mile from the Governor's mansion. One of our dear friends became an active supporter and had a great experience there.

New Hope AME Church - About Us

Old 03-12-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
When I say "they",I mean the old guard that really does not have the power they use to due to the new money residents not just Buckhead but many of the walthy areas.
Buckhead is by no means the only center of wealth and power in the city, but it would be hard to find any single area that has been more intrinsically involved in helping to build our cultural institutions and amenities. Ansley Park also holds a powerful place in the city's history. Druid Hills has a similar history, though it has largely elected not to be in the city proper.

In earlier times the city had other wealthy districts, and today they are in the suburbs as well.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Thank you for this response.

Truth be told, the only reason Buckhead and any other wealthy region in Georgia & America came up so fast…was through coming up in an era where manufacturing and manipulation of ethnic & tribal strife was so depressingly common...in order to gain access to cheap & free labor.

The wealth families of Buckhead had the type of advantages granted to very few in times long gone.

Let's not even mention the fact that very few people had the right to proper enforcement of their property rights.

Imagine what would have happen if a well-off black community surrounding Auburn Ave wasn't steamrolled by the state when the I-75/85 was diverted from it's original direction through Peachtree St? Imagine if Auburn Ave was never subjected to a race riot manipulated by elite forces in Atlanta media during the early 20th century?

What sort of economic powerhouse would that Auburn Black community be today?

Stuff like this is why I will never consider seriously the commentary of those who would strongly suggest that Buckhead is subsidizing everyone else in Atlanta.

Gross inequity subsidized Buckhead's existence in the first place.

But I forget that historical recollection is pretty selective around these here parts.
Excellent post, Snake.

Some of the historical detail may be inaccurate but your overriding point is undeniable. Many of the world's great fortunes have arisen, at least in part, through the exploitation of others.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
The unofficial boundaries of Buckhead are huge when compared to any other 'neighborhood' in Atlanta. Hardly anyone ever refers Tuxedo Park or Buckhead Forest, its all Buckhead.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjared View Post
Ansley I think some of your posts are very insightful, but when you post something like this it always comes across as you feel you and others in your situation are above other people that aren't able to. I appreciate your posts, but it doesn't speak well of you to speak so publicly of what you have personally financially contributed. I know you don't mean to, but it comes across with a very holier than thou attitude. If it wasn't so often I might not say anything.
This.

Ansley and Arjay, gtjared is right. This is how you come across, and you both do it often enough that I have noticed a pattern and challenged you on it multiple times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: