Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:02 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,597,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post

Traffic would move so much more efficient if people would close the gaps. How many times have I weaved my way through cars only to find that there is up to a football length gap between the vehicles that I'd negotiated and the cars ahead.
This seems to be a common perception, but the research I've seen suggests it's precisely backwards.

Closing the gaps increases the likelihood of rear-ending (increasing the overall risk of shock delays to the system) and limits cross-lane merging where needed to improve efficiency. Now, you as an indvidual may move ahead by filling gaps, but the system as a whole doesn't move any faster and can in fact move slower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 02:45 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
This seems to be a common perception, but the research I've seen suggests it's precisely backwards.

Closing the gaps increases the likelihood of rear-ending (increasing the overall risk of shock delays to the system) and limits cross-lane merging where needed to improve efficiency. Now, you as an indvidual may move ahead by filling gaps, but the system as a whole doesn't move any faster and can in fact move slower.
How common can the perception be when I continually observe the opposite? Closing gaps, filling gaps, etc., doesn't mean bumper to bumper. I am referring to mammoth sized gaps. My exact wording was up to a football length gap. That's unforgivable, IMO. Whether we think favorably of said gaps or not, we've all seen them here. Maintain a car length, at most. That is practical. For the love of the old gods and the new, signal!

For the record, I'm referring to the section of 285 that I traverse on my way to work.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 AM

7,348 posts, read 6,495,713 times
Or better yet, once you're clear of something, go ahead and accelerate. If there's open road in front of you, no reason to derp around at 20mph for another 5 miles!

Old 03-12-2014, 03:22 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,149,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Traffic would move so much more efficient if people would close the gaps. How many times have I weaved my way through cars only to find that there is up to a football length gap between the vehicles that I'd negotiated and the cars ahead.
I totally disagree. One of the biggest issues is people NOT leaving enough room between them and the car in front and tailgating. That tailgating often leads to crashes when traffic suddenly stops.

Leaving more room is safer and if you space properly, then the flow of traffic can actually move more quickly without people slamming on brakes because they're 2 inches off the bumper ahead.

Less fender benders or chain reaction crashes means fewer delays.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:41 PM

592 posts, read 825,758 times
Having lived in Atlanta for a few months for work, there is definitely some bad traffic. It was actually worse than I expected, but then again, I didn't really expect much at all. Having read so many threads about traffic in Atlanta, I think its basically just been hyped up by people from Atlanta, who have seen their population grow(in the metro area) and city begin to recover. Coming from California(Bay Area), I always viewed LA as the Poster Boy for terrible traffic, never Atlanta. But even the Bay Area is world's worse when it comes to traffic. I think Honolulu is a bit misplaced. Yes, there is plenty of traffic, but that is basically because of the lack of freeways around the city. Very few roads in and very few roads out. Saying Honolulu has the 2nd worst traffic is like saying Laguna Beach has the worst traffic in California- it would be do to the fact there is basically one road in and out of the town. Its not a realistic ranking for Honolulu.

Although #21 seems a bit low on the list for Atlanta, a spot between 10-15 could be more realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta